Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1327956 Posts in 60042 Topics- by 51313 Members - Latest Member: kretz32

January 18, 2018, 11:22:24 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack Move. A cyberpunk JRPG
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Print
Author Topic: Jack Move. A cyberpunk JRPG  (Read 23720 times)
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: December 01, 2017, 03:47:14 am »

This looks amazing. I can't wait to play it! Thanks for sharing Jack Move's journey with us. Smiley

Loving the aesthetic of the battle scenes especially.  Very cool stuff.

Thanks, you two! It really means a lot Smiley

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: December 01, 2017, 03:59:21 am »

Hey again everyone!

This has been a good week. Got loads of stuff done :D

The new battle backgrounds came back from Joe, they are looking excellent! In the end Joe decided that it would be best not to anchor the planes to each side of the screen as at super wide resolutions it would mess with the perspective too much. Instead, everything is just centred, which makes sure everything will always look good, with the added bonus that the focus is more in the middle of the screen when rendered super wide.

I also took the time to quickly rework Uncle Guin's apartment. It was a little too sparse before and I never felt it was quite right. He's redecorated by replacing everything with a nice hardwood finish Smiley

Other than that it's been playtesting, bug fixing and adding some little bits that should have been in ages ago, like a tick sound when text scrolls and xp+levelup sfx Smiley

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: December 01, 2017, 09:21:39 am »

I had lunch with my good pal Adam Hay (bafta award winning sfx guy, fantastic game maker and super cool dude) today and we were banging heads over this pixel perfect camera following stuff, and I think we finally have an answer.

Adam said that he'd just given up on clamping anything, and as he's rendering his stuff at tiny resolution and then blowing it back up to native screen resolution that any rounding get's taken care of in the initial tiny render. So I turned off all the clamping, which gave me this result...

This is preeeeetttttty good. The follow is super smooth and the actor has no jitter when moving. However, when she comes to a stop and the camera is still catching up, there is some slight jitter.

So what if we just clamp the character position, but only when they are not moving?

WOOOOO! I think that is finally solved! Smiley (until another weird edge case pops up that I'd not foreseen haha)

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: December 08, 2017, 04:05:19 am »

Hellooo there!

Lots more bug fixing this week, mixed with some business stuff and some good old game design.

The biggest visible change this week is that I worked out how to do nicer blob shadows! Of course I should have just googled that in the first place because this biz is just built into unity!

This uses a projector to stick the shadow on to a surface. I had to mask off just the floor tiles otherwise I got in to some wacky stuff where the shadow would appear up the walls and things. I think it's looking pretty good though Smiley

Other than that I've been working on some of the enemy mechanics. I really there to be a separation between "world" enemies and those you encounter within computer systems. Thinking about classic JRPG's they always have such a mishmash of designs, pulling from lots of different influences like japanese mythology and such. So I've been doing a bunch of research on traditional english folklore and legendary creatures, trying to find things that will a) look cool b) have interesting mechanics based on their traditional role/story.

For example, here's Fat Lips:

Fat Lips (or Fatlips) is the name given to a legendary spirit dwelling in Dryburgh Abbey in Berwickshire, Scotland.
The spirit was associated with a hermit woman who took up residence in a vault among the ruins of the abbey some time after the 1745 Jacobite Rebellion. The woman claimed that the spirit tidied the room whilst she was away, and kept the cell she lived in dry by stamping moisture away from the ground with his heavy iron boots.

The name Fat Lips instantly conjures up something cool and weird, and big stampy boots sounds like it could be a cool attack Smiley

Still lots more to research but there's some super weird and wacky stuff out there so hopefully these will look and feel quite distinct and bring something interesting to the game. Don't worry though, they'll all have a distinctly cyberpunk twist to them Wink
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:35:41 am by empika » Logged

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2017, 01:29:33 am »

Hey folks,

No huge update this week I'm afraid I've been super busy with some life admin and things so not gotten much done on the game. I'm away for a week from sunday and then it's christmas, so there probably won't be any updates until the new year.

Happy christmas, and thanks for all your support over this last year, it really does mean a lot!
Edd

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2018, 08:07:30 am »

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

I hope you all had a fantastic christmas and new year (if that's your thing Wink)! I certainly did Smiley I had a nice couple of weeks off, had a little trip to Germany and Switzerland to visit some christmas markets and castles, and spent some lovely time with my family. Now that's all done, I've been getting back up to speed with work on Jack Move (hard after a couple of weeks off), but I've got some cool things to show.

I've been working on some new areas, namely Noa's apartment, which has turned out really nicely.  I've been trying to get a bit more dynamic with the map geometry to make it a bit more interesting. This has started to work really well I think, and I'm please with how stuff has turned out...

A product of trying to make stuff a bit more interesting is that I've finally worked out how to do stairs properly. This might sound a bit dumb, but I've attempted to make stairs a few times and every time they've never worked how I would like. Adding gravity complicates things a little more for a start, I'd have to add floor colliders everywhere (not a huge deal in itself) and get the movement working properly.

My approach each time I've attempted this is to use ramps (angled box colliders), but due to the way the map gets stretched (in order to force the perspective), this has proved fiddly and I've never gotten the angles and movement to work properly. The other issue was how to draw the geometry. I use flat planes, flat planes that were angled along with the ramp, but these never looked right.

I've avoided steps to far by just putting elevators everywhere, so you never even come across steps! However, I wanted to make the entrance to Noa's apartment more interesting so added some steps. Like actual steps. Hand placed, rather than using big tiles. Knowing that I couldn't work out how to use steps, I just blocked them off and didn't allow the player to actually move the player over them.

Then, this morning in the shower it hit me... just make steps with steps! If I put a collider on each step and then turn up the gravity, the unity character controller will just handle the steps! How did I not realise this before is beyond me :s

TADA!

It doesn't look like much but I'm super happy! It means that I can drastically increase the complexity of maps now (this is either a blessing or a curse) Cheesy

Here's a view of how they look in the editor

Other than that I've been working on story stuff. I'm currently looking for a freelance female writer to join the team for a few weeks to help shape the story up. So if that sounds like fun the get in touch! (I'm looking for a lady specifically because a) noa the protagonist is female and I'd like some better perspective on her story and b) the rest of the team is all white dudes.

Till next time... x

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2018, 01:08:19 am »

It's one small step for Noa, one giant leap for empika Smiley Steps are great, multi-levelled environments with lots of steps are my favourite! Hope you can make good use of this new feature!

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: January 13, 2018, 07:58:04 am »

It's one small step for Noa, one giant leap for empika Smiley Steps are great, multi-levelled environments with lots of steps are my favourite! Hope you can make good use of this new feature!

Haha! I've already got a ton of ideas. Just trying to resist the temptation to go back and retro fit a bunch in existing maps Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic