Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1377712 Posts in 65443 Topics- by 57755 Members - Latest Member: LeoSax

June 01, 2020, 10:58:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack Move. A cyberpunk JRPG - Demo now available!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Print
Author Topic: Jack Move. A cyberpunk JRPG - Demo now available!  (Read 35560 times)
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: December 12, 2019, 11:49:37 PM »

Hey folks! Time for a new Jack Move devlog update!

I've finished off the slums dungeon, wrapping up the last screen and setting up all the enemy encounters etc.

I've spent most of the last week doing small tasks that have been on the back log for ages, rather than dive in to a big chunk of work before christ,as. I spent some time polishing up some little UI bits that have bothering me for ages. In particular, animting the turn order icons a little, to help signify the direction of time. I'm still not sure how to handle enemies dieing as the icons get quite a big shakeup.

At Joes request I built a shader for UI/battle stuff that tints textures better. Rather than just tinting a greyscale image with colour, this takes the lightness and applies that amount of hue to the pixel. It also has a nice little hue shifting function so that the battle background get a bit more depth, shifting slightly to blue.

aaaaand, something i've been meaning to do for months is rebuild the Software Install menu.

Hopefully it's a little clearer than before (though maybe not in gif form). Previously I had a bunch of presets that you could change, people found this confusing so I've removed those in favour of just a single loadout. The interface is now similar to Final Fantasy VII's materia menu, where you can slot and remove software in to graphically represented RAM, which i think it helps with understanding the system of having limited "points" to spend. I won't really know until I get some user testing done, but it feels better to me.
I need to think about how to handle editing in battles though. Will people want to revert back to the loadout they had before a battle, or should it save your loadout if you change it during a battle? I think this will have to be a toggle in the menu somewhere as it feels like different folks would prefer the different setting.

Joe has been super busy himself, working on a variety of new enemies, in particular some spooky and weird cyber enemies you'll encounter on the grid!

There are a bit more WIP

And of course, Amalie has been working wonders with the script. It's had a huge edit after Ben Ward of Size5 adventure game fame (go wishlist Lair of the Clockwork God, it's going to be aces! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1060600/Lair_of_the_Clockwork_God/) took a look and helped trim it in to shape. It's looking great and I can't wait to start getting chunks of it in game :D

There's been a bunch of organising and production going on too for the next chunk of work, we've got some really cool stuff lined up. I'm super excited!

Happy Christmas everyone, and here's to a great new year!!   Toast Right Toast Left

Here's the usual promo bits...

Grab the demo here: https://soromantic.itch.io/jack-move

Wishlist this wiz biz on Steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1099640/Jack_Move/

And come join the discord, see more work in progress gifs and images and chat about the game: http://www.soromantic.co.uk/discord

I've been a bit lax on streaming recently but will pick it up again after christmas Smiley

And of course, the afrorementioned Twitter where you can see all those gifs: https://twitter.com/empika

Cheers, have a great weekend, unless you're in the UK, in which case, have a big hug from me and look after yourself!

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: December 13, 2019, 02:45:50 PM »

A great update, those enemy animations in particular are amazing!

Hopefully it's a little clearer than before (though maybe not in gif form). Previously I had a bunch of presets that you could change, people found this confusing so I've removed those in favour of just a single loadout. The interface is now similar to Final Fantasy VII's materia menu, where you can slot and remove software in to graphically represented RAM, which i think it helps with understanding the system of having limited "points" to spend. I won't really know until I get some user testing done, but it feels better to me.
I need to think about how to handle editing in battles though. Will people want to revert back to the loadout they had before a battle, or should it save your loadout if you change it during a battle? I think this will have to be a toggle in the menu somewhere as it feels like different folks would prefer the different setting.

Would it be too intrusive to ask the player at the end of a battle, if there are changes, whether they'd like to keep or revert them? I don't know the game of course but it feels like something that would be a case-by-case decision rather than always wanting to keep or discard the changes. (Or, there could be three options, Always keep, Always revert and Ask.)

I think this is looking good! The blocks in the RAM bar are coloured; do the colours represent the type of software, similar to materia (e.g. green was magic, red was summon)? If so it seems like the right-hand list of software should also display these colours to help players quickly identify the software, especially when the list gets full.

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: December 13, 2019, 11:17:51 PM »

A great update, those enemy animations in particular are amazing!

Thanks! Yeah, Joe just constantly blows me away. I give him the worst reference, like "it's a weird ghost, but a computer ghost" and he always seems to know exactly what I mean  Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Would it be too intrusive to ask the player at the end of a battle, if there are changes, whether they'd like to keep or revert them? I don't know the game of course but it feels like something that would be a case-by-case decision rather than always wanting to keep or discard the changes. (Or, there could be three options, Always keep, Always revert and Ask.)

Having an option to ask is a great idea!

I think this is looking good! The blocks in the RAM bar are coloured; do the colours represent the type of software, similar to materia (e.g. green was magic, red was summon)? If so it seems like the right-hand list of software should also display these colours to help players quickly identify the software, especially when the list gets full.

Yup, the colours represent the different elements (red: physical, green: cyber, purple: wetware, blue: electro, white: misc/buffs/utility). I think I might keep the list item colour to keep it consistent across the game, but I will tint the icons to match. I'll see if that's better, then can always tint the whole list item to match... just gotta thing of a nice way to do it as the select/deselect/disabled animations all swap out materials and I don't have an easy way to do that programatically at the moment... though could probably code it up pretty easily as it's just a blink Smiley

Beastboy
Level 0

Happy birth day mom!

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 14, 2020, 12:16:20 AM »

Is this project stil alive?
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2020, 12:29:30 AM »

Is this project stil alive?

It certainly is! Apologies for the lack of posts, I've been super hard at work on it. I've been posting bits and pieces on my Twitter and the discord server (https://twitter.com/empika / http://www.soromantic.co.uk/discord) if you want smaller updates, I'll find some time in the next couple of weeks to post a bigger update on the work we've been doing!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic