Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:00:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack Move. A cyberpunk JRPG
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Jack Move. A cyberpunk JRPG  (Read 48997 times)
cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2015, 08:12:02 PM »

That sounds and looks really cool, subbed.
This screenshot is awesome, but these non-pixelated lights spoils the entire look of the game for me.

Agree here, per vertex lighting works best for pixel art imo. Looking good though, early days!
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2015, 12:43:31 AM »

Agree here, per vertex lighting works best for pixel art imo. Looking good though, early days!

Think you might have missed a few updates. The game is looking very different now Wink

cykboy
Level 2

ye

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2015, 05:07:59 AM »

Think you might have missed a few updates. The game is looking very different now Wink

You are very much correct, I didn't see the page numbers.. my bad Smiley Looking beautiful!
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2015, 07:57:38 AM »

Haha, thanks! Much appreciated Smiley

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2015, 03:47:24 PM »

Hey there!

Today I rewrote my door code after a bunch of refactoring for interactable items in general, also added a popup kind of notification for incidental text

I also worked on some more items for the new labs, and tried to get that laid out a bit more. Finding it hard to get the lighting balanced nicely though

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2015, 03:53:47 PM »

This is looking great, plus I always think there should be more under 10-hour RPGs.  I really like the aesthetic of those battle screens.

archgame
Level 2

I program architecture and build video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2015, 04:01:47 PM »

I agree with Alec S. The battle arena screens look really great. Also the door animation and movement also look good, not so sure about the text though, but I don't have a great alternative.

What do you mean it's hard to get the lighting balanced? Maybe some screens showing alternatives? Also I wonder if the atmosphere could get a bump if the green screens in the computer lab were giving off a subtle glow to the surrounding area?

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2015, 03:36:48 AM »

I'm finding it hard to light the environment so the items in the room aren't as dark, but without washing out the rest of the room. Maybe that's ok though as it should be a bit gloomy :s

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2015, 06:57:09 AM »

Been a while since I posted an update, so here some WIP for the first boss

Detail:

Initial pass at animation, I kinda like how he is thrashing about a bit:

Smiley

neko.works
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »

Looks great Wink Following Cool

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »

I'm following as well. Smiley

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
mzn528
Level 2

Dark Souls, Berserk and Vagabond Ultimate Fanboy

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2015, 08:03:13 PM »

Damn this looks really cool! I love the artstyle and game mechanics!

Keep up the great work!

Noob Game Dev and Pixel Artist, twitter @mzn528

Soul Appeaser, a combat focused story rich ARPG
DevLog
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2015, 12:46:04 AM »

Thanks folks, always great to hear some encouraging words  Grin

Did some work on the game over screen last night

Needs some work on the arrangement but I wanted to get some code hooked up.

I've been thinking a lot recently about the penalty for failure and wasn't sure how to handle it. After picking up Ni No Kuni again this weekend I decided I quite like their take on it. When you die in NNK, it costs 5% of your currency, I found this pretty trivial as you are always farming currency from enemies. I decided to do something similar but cost the player 25% of their current XP progression. You will always stay on the level you are at, but lose XP earned towards the next level. I think this feels a bit more consequential.

Pizzamakesgames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2015, 01:20:06 AM »

Looking pretty unique and well made, nice! What's it made in, not Haxeflixel, perhaps?

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2015, 07:26:11 AM »

Looking pretty unique and well made, nice! What's it made in, not Haxeflixel, perhaps?

Thanks!

I use Unity + Pyxel Edit, with my own hand rolled importer for Pyxel Edit tilemaps. I actually use this technique stolen from Sebastien Dubois and the amazing guys over at Amplitude

3d with forced perspective = 2d Smiley It means lighting sits correctly against surfaces (mostly), it has a few drawbacks (such as weird z scaling) but it works pretty well.

You can see how that looks in the editor in this old screengrab:

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2015, 05:17:00 AM »

Changed the brain boss quite a lot, made it float up and down (not gonna lie, animating side to side was a pain! couldnt get it to feel right) and gave it some kind of armour/arms things that I think will make quite good defence or attacks.

Here's some wip:

MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »

This is looking awesome, very atmospheric!!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »

Hallo again!

Spent most of the weekend working on battle system stuff. I changed the software select menu to be more inline with the other menus in the game. I also got the mecha brain boss into the game, i think it's going to be pretty cool once i add some more attacks and things.

...the only downside of of adding in the boss is that I've realized the battle system is a bit limited in some ways. I thought I had prepared for enemies made of multiple parts, for example the mecha brain consists of two attackable parts, the main brain and the arms. however as I've not touched that part of the system in a rather long time it had suffered some entropy and is super fiddly to get some thing to work (the mecha brain is a huge hack job). So at some point I really need to go back and refactor a bunch of stuff to make it easier to work with and more flexible.

The other thing i noticed from having a multiple part enemy is that my enemy selection is all messed up. To select the arms, underneath the brain, you have to press right, rather than down :| so i'll add an enemy select menu at some point.

All in all, some good work done and some good lessons learnt Smiley

empika
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2015, 09:30:28 AM »

Being on holiday is great!! I have a few days free before I go to disneyland (:D) for a few days, so I'm spending it catching up on sleep and continuing getting work done on the game.

Today I tidied up some of the hacks I made to get the mecha brain working and refactored the AI behaviour to make it a bit more flexible. This means I can now fire animations on all elements of an enemy more cleanly, and also do some more fancy bits Smiley

I also ironed out that enemy selection stuff mentioned in yesterdays post. I thought it was going to be a lot of work, but it turns out it slotted in quite nicely with my original code once I had set up the UI and attached the event handlers

I think it's a lot clearer now:

The other thing I worked on was getting the missed hit + dodge animation (just tweening atm). It's starting to look pretty good, although I need to add some more animations to the player and each enemy.

This evenings fun will probably involve refactoring the cutscene editor! :D

goob256
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:12 AM »

Looking good!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic