Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:06:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIncome Poll
Poll
Question: How much do you make yearly (before taxes) from your indie games?
$0 - 33 (62.3%)
< $1,000 - 9 (17%)
$1,000 - $10,000 - 4 (7.5%)
$10,001 - $50,000 - 4 (7.5%)
$50,001 - $100,000 - 3 (5.7%)
$100,000+ - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 46

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Income Poll  (Read 7060 times)
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 08:49:06 PM »

I know a number of people who create flash games with ads in them for the sole purpose of generating a profit -- that's all well and good, and the prospect is interesting to me, but...

I lose money on every game I make. Since I was younger, I made it a concious desicion that I will not ever charge for any game I make. Though, due to more recent circumstances, this rule has had to change to "games I make outside of my job", because I'm now working in the field. Maybe this is weak-minded or lacking good sense, but my profit is when somebody has a good time playing something that I have created. I don't really hope for much more than that when designing an indepedant project.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 11:10:35 PM »

No offense Kirby but that seems a bit silly to me. Maybe I'm just greedy though.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 04:43:17 AM »

No offense Kirby but that seems a bit silly to me. Maybe I'm just greedy though.
Maybe you are. xkcd and Wikipedia are completely free to noncommercially use, remix and copy and the sites do not have any advertisements. Both of them make money from donations, and xkcd also makes money from merchandise. While Wikipedia is a non-profit organization, there aren't many people that think that it's an unsuccessful organization. And xkcd makes at least enough money for the author to live comfortably, just off of the donations and merchandise.

Sponsors and advertising and selling and making money in general just kinda smells. Monetizing things that you absolutely don't have to makes you feel like a greedy little parasitic minx, but everybody's gotta eat, right?

But Xion, there is nothing wrong with giving time and money to charity. Making completely free games (or anything) is an honorable thing to do, in my eyes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:50:48 AM by Skofo » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 02:46:46 PM »

I completely disagree with you, Skofo. I see nothing wrong with wanting to make money from a hobby - especially if you're willing to use this money to be able to make the hobby into a full-time job.
Noel Berry
Level 4

Yarr!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 04:07:31 PM »

I completely disagree with you, Skofo. I see nothing wrong with wanting to make money from a hobby - especially if you're willing to use this money to be able to make the hobby into a full-time job.

I agree with you, Kao. I, personally, would much rather have a good indie developer putting all their effort into a game - even if it costs 30$ at the end of the day - than a good indie developer spending half an hour a day, and making the game free.

Although, I am not saying that you should sell every game you make. If you make a fun little game, that took you less than, say, two days of strait work to create, then I don't see a problem with making it free.

Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 04:56:05 PM »

Disagree with me? I never sided either way. I was just throwing facts and ideas around to help you guys can draw your own conclusions.

There are two sides to this. Which side you like more depends on your priorities.

In that post earlier I was mostly empathizing with KirbyPopStar to show Xion that his opinion isn't silly. I don't think that there is a right or wrong answer to this.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 08:37:06 PM »

But Xion, there is nothing wrong with giving time and money to charity. Making completely free games (or anything) is an honorable thing to do, in my eyes.
No problem with that, and I agree. Mad respeck to dem breddas dat provide da freeness, yah? I just thought it was an odd..."promise" to never charge for any game. I mean I guess I always just assumed that there would be at least one dream project everyone dreamt of making millions from.
Thinking about it, though, it can be, as you put it, honorable, and I earnestly thank those with the mentality to accept gamers' joy as payment enough.
Beer! Gentleman

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »

I make a living coding other people's ideas. It is not very indie but it is secure and comfotable. For those of you who try and live the dream I salute you  Beer!

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »

I make a living coding other people's ideas. It is not very indie but it is secure and comfotable. For those of you who try and live the dream I salute you  Beer!

I do both.
I salute me.
Beer!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic