Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:39:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSomestory
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Somestory  (Read 9054 times)
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2013, 05:24:39 PM »

Hello, Tiger s! In the summer of 08, I stumbled upon a lovely place called "tigsource.com". I don't remember exactly how I got there, but I remember the awe I felt. It was so bountiful of everything I loved about the indie scene: mockups, mockups, mockups, grand devlogs that grew into page-ful epics, silly gimmick competitions with the most passion-fueled and spectacular results, members that took on personas, video gams and blasters! TIGsource really was, and is, THE source of indie games to me.. I've absorbed a lot from this place, and I feel it's finally time for me to start giving back.

This is a game.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:23:49 PM by gamebabu » Logged
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 11:04:04 AM »

Quote from: --GAME FEATURES~~**
poe
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 11:54:28 AM »

Try harder
EmilMeiton
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:00:07 PM »

what is that thing that is chewing?  Shocked
also, what's the game about, what do you do in it?
Conker534
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »

redline
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »

Try harder

yeah, go make a clone of something or something... (joke)

Conker534
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 01:58:21 PM »

Try harder

yeah, go make a clone of something or something... (joke)

ooooooo
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 10:14:40 AM »

I've always been impressed with how rapid Cactus Squid is with his work. He churns out these games at lightning speed and nothing in his work suffers from it.
And as you enter his worlds, the whole gamplay vs graphics debate breaks down into nonsense as he somehow manages to simultaneously beautify both.
His work ethic is incredible and it's a quality I really strive for. Not only does he know when to do what, he knows when to not do what. Or at least, that is what I am assuming. I often get stuck on myself in some odd corner of game development, working on some feature or bug that I really don't need to be working on at the moment. I hope with time I can get to his level.
The reason why I mention Cactus is because he's been a great inspiration to me, and I think it will reflect in my own work. He creates these incredible worlds of psychedelia and beautiful nonsense. I love the vibe.
Of course I make no promises in the presentation.. Mondo-Medical is a difficult alien-world to achieve. I can promise to offer only my own nonsense.
..also the combat system is somewhat reminiscent of Hotline Miami...but I can't be sure as  Embarrassed I haven't gotten the chance to play it yet. Though it's a similar top-down, strategicky, panicky, feeling.

I'll have more to show in the coming days.
For now, I've just finished prototyping one of the core game mechanics, and have been slowly bringing the game-world up to speed. Here is a gif demonstrating my current progress.. I hope you enjoy: [July 08, 2013]

Stay away from bugs!  [July 09, 2013]

@Conker- I'm not sure...
@Telephant- shhhhhh. it's a secret! You'll see soon, I promise!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:44:11 PM by gamebabu » Logged
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »

The gif looks neat. I like that sort of 'batting' mechanic. Intrigued to see how this develops.

antoniodamala
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »

cray
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 11:46:49 AM »

Small update, got animations working, and some other things. This was easier to do than I expected, which is good.
I'm approaching another big hurdle soon, so I'm a little worried.

@Panurge- thanks! I thought a lot about how I can make it all super fun, *fingers crossed*
@antoniodamala- i will now strive to evoke more cray'z from you in the futur'

edit: Screen pulled to 'content' post.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 07:36:19 AM by gamebabu » Logged
ghoulkid86
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 01:09:33 PM »

Watching this. Definitely looks interesting. Plus I'm a big Cactus-fan too Smiley

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 01:21:04 PM »

What in the actual hell am I looking at.

i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 10:38:30 PM »

@ghoulkid86- thanks, I hope to get some of the more interesting stuff working soon.
@Rabbit- that first gif is just some debuggery, the rest is just some bogussery

should be done with the core engine stuff soon..
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 08:32:33 PM by gamebabu » Logged
Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »

y e ss

CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »

i think if those lines had things scrolling along them or something to give it movement it would look really good
i.i
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 10:33:35 AM »

I've never actually played Chulip.. but I've enjoyed watching through a let's play of it. It's a really charming game, taking place in a continuously oddening and charming world.
Why is the doctor always passing out? Why is that lady always sweeping the streets? Where is Chulip's mom? All these questions are passively generated. There's always more to find out about the world.
And then there are the villagers that live underground. Each one has their own unique motivations and desires. Their own little stories. I loved that.
The game had a main story line.. but these little stories really added to the experience of the world.

I want to ensure that this game has that same level of charm, depth, and surprise.

I've done a significant amount of work on the engine. I can now display text and connect two scenes together however way I want.

..These gifs are a little deceptive. Most of the game takes place outside.

@kurtss- yezz
@CVaseTYb!!- Yeah, they started out as just tools to help me debug some things, but they actually do look pretty neat.. this game is as much visual coolery as it is game-feel coolery, so I'm definitely going to make some stuff based on your idea in other parts of the game.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:46:28 PM by gamebabu » Logged
Rymdmetafor
Level 0

Musician & Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »

You've got PM (:

www.rymdmetafor.se ~ A Sound Agency with Imagination
Music composer from Sweden.
soundcloud.com/rymdmetafor
twitter.com/rymdmetafor
instagram.com/rymdmetafor
[email protected]
antoniodamala
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »

..These gifs are a little deceptive. Most of the game takes place outside.

woah nice animations man
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 10:58:28 PM »

hellsyeahs! the transition's got a good feel

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic