Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:34:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95112 times)
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« on: June 25, 2013, 03:41:11 PM »

Sup, tigsourcers?
This is Elysis.

I'm working on this project solo, so I do the art, programming, sounds, music, design, and everything in between all by myself.

It is a top-down action-rpg with a focus on combat and exploration.
The game features the addon system where you can change the way weapons you find are used by just having addons equipped to them.
A standard one shot bow can be upgraded to shoot three magical enemy seeking explosive arrows.
These weapons that you modify will be tested against a large variety of enemies and bosses,
and as an adventurer, you'll use the same items to uncover hidden areas throughout the world, revealing more enemies, items, and places to explore.

The goal is something like at least
24 different tilesets filled with
100 enemies
10 bosses
10 melee weapons
12 non-melee tools / equipment pieces
and then 10 addons for each non-melee tool / equip
and 10 addons for all melee weapons

There's going to be a lot and this will be a long project, so stuck around and enjoy the progress!

Here are some enemy concepts

and some of the tilesets I've been working on

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:40:55 PM by Fervir » Logged

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »

wow cool whoa wow that looks fun

no but i legitimately enjoy playing this game, you should post the demo

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »

I've always thought that this game looks great, looking forward to seeing it done.

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 03:44:54 PM »

GET HYP'D.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »

To be honest 9 monsters probably isn't enough for a game this large.  You certianly have enough weapons and gadgets, though.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 07:51:36 PM »

To be honest 9 monsters probably isn't enough for a game this large.  You certianly have enough weapons and gadgets, though.

I actually just drew up and put in a monster today.
It still needs a good amount of work and balancing.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:55:50 PM by Fervir » Logged

mushbuh
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 09:06:10 AM »

Maybe the dogs could have a chance to spawn as skele-dogs

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 09:37:42 AM »

I absolutely love the aesthetic here. That inventory screen is sooo great. Not sure hwo if eel about the gameplay gifs, looks kinda spongey and not really as tactile as I'd hope, but still well put together.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 01:02:02 PM »

Maybe the dogs could have a chance to spawn as skele-dogs

Maybe, they could have different behaviors too.

I absolutely love the aesthetic here. That inventory screen is sooo great. Not sure hwo if eel about the gameplay gifs, looks kinda spongey and not really as tactile as I'd hope, but still well put together.

What do you mean by spongey and tactile?

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 06:52:38 PM »

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:56:15 PM by Fervir » Logged

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 08:45:23 AM »

Start of a new weapon.
I need to do some balancing and work on the mechanics more.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:56:29 PM by Fervir » Logged

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 08:54:51 AM »

>balls.gif
Everything went better than expected.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »

What do you mean by spongey and tactile?

Yeah those are SUCH VAGUE WORDS, I'm sorry, let me try to elucidate:

I have this perception that a lot of the combat involves large quanities of enemies sliding into you and taking or dealing damage. Without any kind of other reaction, just a collision and numbers ticking off of healthbars. It lacks 'oompf' so to speak, it feels like something I'd play watching my health more than I watched the actual gameplay screen. Personal preference, but I'd love to see something more like a zelda style knockback, or at least enemies bumping back when they hit you, so they have to run back to you before dealing damage again, instead of just ticking it off in a timer -- solutions that seem more interactive and dynamic to me.

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 06:00:41 PM »

Yeah, you run up to enemies and keep swinging your sword until they die, not very interesting so far.  Doesn't even seem to matter much if you get hit.
mushbuh
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »

Yeah, you run up to enemies and keep swinging your sword until they die, not very interesting so far.  Doesn't even seem to matter much if you get hit.
Did you play the demo? It plays better than it looks but still, it should match in style and gameplay

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »

I usually don't try out test/demos unless it's a Flash/Unity web version or quickly accessable download link with no installer .. unfortunately the demo is hidden away on modDB behind a ton of link crap.

Edit: Alright, I tried it out, but unfortunately it only confirmed what I had already written.  The player's movement and attacks are slow and clunky, and are in no way prepared to fend off the enemies, who can hit you repeatedly .. but your lifebar is so huge it hardly even matters.

Those skulls show up out of the darkness and whack you before you can even react, bats spawn almost on top of you, the slime's trails can't be avoid because they're so dense .. it's kind of a mess right now.

The control scheme was also really confusing.  I think it needs to be vastly simplified and have more on-screen info.

I think it's pretty clear most of the dev effort so far has been put into making as many toys for the player to play with, without much concern for the rest of the gameplay.

The only combat related thing I kind of liked was being able to kill the skulls by having them charge into my shield with the right timing.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 06:46:35 AM by Udderdude » Logged
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 10:44:59 AM »

First of all, thanks for the feedback guys.
Your feedback is very valuable to me and gives me a specific direction to work towards.

Anyways, so ever since I added the inventory and the combo system and shop stuff, I've been really inspired to make new weapons and items to add another layer of depth to the combat system, because of the new possibilities of combat. Which explains why all these new "toys" have been appearing. You can read my article on the item combo system here which is a pretty big thing I have going for my game.
http://www.indiedb.com/games/spookyquest/news/items-items-everywhere

The way I dev is through working on whatever interests me at the time, so I end up adding a lot of features at a concept minimalist stage and what happens is that I have a lot of unpolished content. I'm afraid that I have a lot of polishing up to do because of this.
That's just how I dev, even in writing this post, I'm a little bit all over the place, but in the end everything comes together and it just fits.

As for the combat needing that "oomph" quality to it.
I've already worked on some kind of knockback system on the skeletons that throw bones where your attacks have a more visible force attached with them. I even had it so that you stun them with the shield and even reflect their own projectiles to stun them.
When I got that done for the skeleton, I kinda just left it at something to come back to for the other enemies and only recently have I been thinking of setting up the knockback and stun system for the rest of the monsters. I still need to set up hit animations for everything which won't really be a problem, since I've been getting a lot of good spriting practice.

I've actually spent a lot of my time on the combat, finding ways to have interesting behaviors for enemies that aren't just walk in a straight line towards the player.
Even though there are 9 enemies, they each have unique behaviors.

There's actually only 3 enemies that have a sort of timer combat as Catguy mentions.
But even those 3 enemies have unique behaviors with them.
The bats are the simplest of them, yes they do just fly at you and tick damage away at you, and if you try to cut a corner to lose them, they can somewhat navigate around it to find you.
The zombies, they can latch on to you ticking damage away from you and limiting mobility, you have to shake them off before you can move again.
For the tarman, when you look at it, it hides and you won't be able to attack it while it's hiding, it can use this to its advantage and come up from under you and attack.
For all the other enemies, they have some kind of different way of attacking you, even the three new ones. For the three types of bosses, and somewhat the miniboss, they all have even more complex behaviors.
The enemy behaviors are definitely not as simple as they seem, but yes, they definitely need a lot of more work done on them.

So for the rest of my game, I've had to also split my effort into making a map editor, setting up a dialogue system and inventory system. There's also the effort that went into the dungeon creation and all of its puzzles and secret puzzles, the arena mode, the shopping system, the new items and combo systems, lighting system. There's also the fact that I had to take up learning how to sprite due to my artist dropping. There's definitely a lot of content which makes up the bulk of that 60% progress.

It looks like the rest of that progress is going to be coming in from balancing and polish.

tl;dr
There's a lot of content in the game and a majority of my work will need to be spent polishing up and balancing the content.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2013, 04:09:19 PM »

posting to track!

play hydlide 2
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 01:04:18 PM »

I've been tweaking the combat to give the weapons a little more "oomph".
Check it out.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:56:56 PM by Fervir » Logged

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »

You're onto something wonderful  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic