Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:36:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95188 times)
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: November 11, 2014, 08:23:21 AM »

I agree, you gotta de-saturated those tiles, and then make them a bit less noisy if you want them to jive with your character sprites. Getting those 2 things to align is-- in my experience-- one of the most difficult things to do. It seriously keeps me up at night.   

my twitter. my itch.io page.
nt
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 11, 2014, 10:02:15 AM »

This game look like a lot of fun. I would love to be working on a game like this

Just realized there is a demo, I'm gonna try it out as soon as I get home
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 10:11:12 AM by nt » Logged

blekdar
Level 3

Decisively Indecisive

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: November 11, 2014, 12:05:51 PM »

I concur with these guys. The environment and character look like they're from completely different games.
I find the ground is very noisy compared to the clean look of the characters and it is distracting.

I'd recommend taking a look at nuclear throne and Hyper Light Drifter for some games with good contrast between the characters and the environment. While I'm not suggesting you simplify it to the same amount, I think at least some de-saturation is in order.

Aside from that though, the great looks pretty slick. I'll admit the flying fists and spinning death axe made me snicker sadistically.

Keep it up man!

fakezohan
Level 0

I <3 Games

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 11, 2014, 01:14:26 PM »

Played a bit - liked a lot.
The movement and attacks are very smooth.
Also, I was wondering - I saw it's possible to get exp, but couldn't see anything that mentions levels.
What is the exp for?

Good luck with the full version Smiley
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: December 01, 2014, 12:27:28 PM »

I've been working on a lot of enemy stuff lately.
One of the things that was a problem was that the game would start lagging when there were a few enemies on screen, maybe about 30 or so. This is mostly cause I've been adding a lot of changes to systems and mechanics and the fact that the enemy events are pretty old.
Low framerates are terrible, so I did some work on reorganizing some of the events in the game and I've fixed it up so that I should be able to have at least 80-100 on screen without the game slowing down at all.
More than 50 enemies on screen is definitely a lot, but it's nice to have the option to have more.

I also added a more sophisticated line of sight mechanic.
Before, enemies would just chase you after you got within a certain distance.
Now, enemies will start chasing you if their sprite is looking at you.
I like the new line of sight mechanic because makes it so that enemies like zombies don't all start chasing you right away which feels more dynamic.
I also like it because there is potential for having a backstabbing mechanic and hiding mechanics.

With the new line of sight mechanic comes the "Alert" mechanic.
Enemies that have seen you will have an expanded line of sight range and angle of vision, so it will be harder to lose them.
If you can lose them and after some time, they will go back to their original state with reduced range and angle of vision.

Before the enemy stuff and after the art stuff from the last update, I've been working a whole bunch on weapon mechanics.
I haven't posted much about them, because I think it's a bit spoilery.
I've added a few more melee weapon types and charge attacks for most of them.

Here's a gif with a few of the things mentioned above as well as a new laser thing I'm working on.

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 01, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »

Line of sight? Losing track of you? Daresay, is this a Zelda game with Boktai mechanics? I love you.
Vitali Kirpu
Level 1

reach your potential

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: December 01, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »

What can i say Fervir, you have a gem here there is so much potential in my oppinion.

Don't want to be an ass or anything, but is there going to be a co-op? I apology if i missed that information somewhere  Shrug

Working on the game and trying to help others on the way!

If you ever need tips let me know! I will gladly help
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: December 01, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »

I actually messed around with coop somewhat recently.
It didn't really work very well, and it could have been so much worse, but I think with a lot of work, it could work.
If I did get it working, it would be an entirely different mess though with how menus work.
I would like to have coop, but I'll have to push it to the end of the maybe mechanics list.

Vitali Kirpu
Level 1

reach your potential

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: December 01, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »

Looks neat tho!  Smiley

Working on the game and trying to help others on the way!

If you ever need tips let me know! I will gladly help
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: December 17, 2014, 01:31:40 PM »

An easier alternative would be to let the second player control a familiar. Like a kickass dog or a fire elemental-- or maybe like a fire shooting lava-dog-- that way you wouldn't have to worry about implementing another inventory, just give them a simple 1 button attack. Obviously it wouldn't be as rewarding or as deep but it like I said-- it would be easier.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: December 19, 2014, 08:50:26 AM »

Trying to figure out a new artstyle.
What do you all think?

bounds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 19, 2014, 04:59:22 PM »

First off the game looks insanely fun to play (getting 404 on the demo download Sad ), as for the graphics, I have to say I'm partial to the previous 'NES style' rather than the new '16-bit'-ish version.

folks out there might think I'm crazy, but I've got to rescue Daisy!
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: December 19, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »

The art style is still in the works so hopefully it will turn out better as I work on it.
I like it so far and I think I can find a way to make it work well.

Also, it's no good if the demo is 404ed, did you try downloading from itch.io?
http://fervir.itch.io/elysis

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 19, 2014, 05:26:31 PM »

I prefer the new style, really like the colour palette!
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 19, 2014, 07:10:01 PM »

I like the new style.  I do think the linework is really messy, though.  You need to touch it up, remove all those jaggies and "extra" pixels to turn it from something that looks like it was sketched with a mouse to polished pixel art.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: December 19, 2014, 09:24:07 PM »

Even with the extra shading + colours on the character it still doesn't quite match those new tiles, he looks better than before though.

bounds
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 20, 2014, 03:55:32 AM »

The art style is still in the works so hopefully it will turn out better as I work on it.
I like it so far and I think I can find a way to make it work well.

I do find it interesting that you chose such an unconventional light source with a distinct 'upper right' location for the tiles, gives it a more dramatic look which sets it apart from the typical top down rpg graphics, it can look weird though when flipping tiles like with the trees. Also it currently clashes with the main character like Jono pointed out.

Also, it's no good if the demo is 404ed, did you try downloading from itch.io?
http://fervir.itch.io/elysis

I got it fine from itch.io, thanks!

folks out there might think I'm crazy, but I've got to rescue Daisy!
Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 20, 2014, 04:01:21 AM »

Very messy. There are few colors like in gbc zelda on some places, but then too many on others. It looks all smudgy, as if someone played with opacity brushes too much. On the dead trees it's the most noticeable. Also the lines were drawn like this isn't pixel art. Big difference compared to zelda copied trees and vegetation you had before.
You gotta decide whether you want low bit zelda style or not, and then apply it all across your game.
Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: December 20, 2014, 06:42:04 AM »

I agree with everyone else that the outlines on the trees/mushrooms needs work. But I must say I really love your new grass tiles-- all of them-- especially the swampy looking ground tiles on the right upper hand corner and the autumnal tiles in the upper left and also the deserty rock tiles in the lower left-- those are all looking really good!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2015, 01:29:27 PM »

I like the new art, keep it up!

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic