Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:49:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95122 times)
Sevenjace
Level 0

Pacta Sunt Servanda

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: May 31, 2017, 06:53:44 AM »

I really, really love the style and animations of this game  Kiss. The mechanics, controls and gameplays seems so fluid and nice to play!!

"You actually died?!? LMAO"
that killed me XD

This is going to be an awesome game
personaly, i think it already is.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #581 on: June 02, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »

Yep, it's all about the good combat.
Combat gameplay has always been something I've wanted to be important since the first prototype and that won't be changing anytime soon.

I just got customizable controls in right now.
You'll be able to change up your controls on both the keyboard and controller.
I haven't yet tested a playstation controller, but the xbox 360 seems to have no problems so far.
I was surprised at how easily I got custom controls in this time.
It feels like things are going at a pretty fast pace

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #582 on: June 12, 2017, 06:27:03 PM »

Got some new shield mechanics in.
There's a perfect block which reflects enemy projectiles.
If you don't do a perfect block, the projectile just gets destroyed.
There's a shield throw, and when you hit an enemy the shield pops up into the air allowing you to catch it.
The catch does nothing yet.
There's also a shield dash for which I had to draw up a bunch of new dust and water particles which you can see in the gif.

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 12, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »

This game looks so good! The variety of weapons in Zelda always got me, and this shield throw is pretty cool.

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: June 13, 2017, 10:11:53 AM »

That shield does look like a neat weapon--an interesting combination of defensive and offensive, and something a little different, to my mind. ^_^

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #585 on: June 14, 2017, 03:39:21 AM »

It was definitely interesting adding the shield catch.
Everything else was the same before mechanically, but just having that shield catch adds a much more deeper mechanic somehow.
It just looks cool and feels really nice to pull off.

But when actually testing it out, it's a nice mechanic that lets you have a ranged weapon, but with a little balancing mechanic that if you miss your throw you don't have a shield until you go pick it back up.

Just missing a throw leads to a more dynamic battle since you don't have your shield and you actually have to put yourself in a different spot that you probably had not planned to be in, just to get it back.

I'm eventually going to make it so that the catch give you a little buff, which I think will really solidify that mechanic.

I hope I can find a mechanic like this for each of the other weapons, or at least bring them up to the level as the shield is at right now.

Just had a thought that the key word I'll have to focus on is "skillshot"

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: June 20, 2017, 11:28:53 PM »

Screenshake, freezeframes, backstabs, and a magic triple bow shot

lithander
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: June 21, 2017, 12:27:13 AM »

Maybe it feels different ingame but at least in the gif I'm really not a fan of the freeze-frames. Does look more like a glitch then intentional.

DieMango
Level 0

Desperate Soul

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: June 21, 2017, 12:31:33 AM »

I aggree...freez-frames shoud be snapier

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: June 21, 2017, 10:29:16 AM »

I'm inclined to agree that the freeze-frames don't look very appealing. To my eye, they're a little jarring--a little too sharp and sudden. Perhaps it might look better if the game eased into and out of them--time slowing, pausing, then ramping back to normal speed, rather than suddenly stopping?

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 21, 2017, 10:33:19 AM »

I would suspect easing won't help. Cut it to 1frame and check to see if you feel it. If you do, then that's enough. Noticing that pause is high level play, so keep it there.

Get the demo itch.io
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: June 21, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »

Here, I've reduced the time of the freeze frames by half

xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 21, 2017, 07:57:15 PM »

That looks like it feels way better. It looks like some weapons don't have any hitstun at all? I can see some people having problems with that, but for me I think it's totally fine. It might be helpful to make the no-hitstun weapons all share some kind of visual so their FX could be compartmentalized at least, but, yeah... looking way better. I am p excited to see this game happen.

Get the demo itch.io
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: June 21, 2017, 09:24:02 PM »

For hitstuns there are two factors that determine whether they trigger or not.
The first depends on whether or not you've hit an enemy's weakness.
For example, if an enemy is weak to pierce attacks, no matter how much damage you do with a pierce weapon, you will always trigger a hitstun.

The second depends on how much knockback your weapon has, vs how resistant the enemy is to knockback.

Skeletons have quite a bit of knockback resist, and are not weak to sword attacks.
Even if you charge your sword up and do the dashing attack, the additional knockback is not enough to interrupt a skeleton.
The only reason it gets knocked back in the gif, is because its death sequence was triggered.

Weapons like the shield, a boomerang through, or even your bare fists will be effective against these skeletons, since blunt attacks are their weakness.

I've been wanting to rework the visual effects, I will for sure eventually get to that. I just find implementing more weapon mechanics and enemies more interesting at the moment.

Also, I appreciate any and all feedback and critiques everyone.
I feel like it's hard to get critiques especially, since I feel that most people get offended when someone else says something's wrong with their game

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #594 on: June 22, 2017, 02:47:04 AM »

Touched up on some mechanics for boomerangs.
You'll be able to use 3 at a time.
Bouncing boomerangs off walls makes them move faster and do more damage.
You can also charge the boomerang up to two times for more damage and knockback.
You're able to curve the boomerang throws.

The boomerang is a bit unique as it is one of the only weapons that will be able to shoot in 8 directions, if not the only one.
That, along with the arcing mechanics gives you a lot of options for where you want to throw, and then combine that with wall/enemy bounces, and you have a weapon that somewhat requires you to plan somewhat quickly.

An important aspect in the design of these boomerangs was to simplify the physics enough so that you can somewhat reliably predict where the boomerang was going to head towards after hitting something.
Things like back hits, and wall hits will increase the boomerang damage, so I wanted to encourage more "skill shots."

I've been playing with them and they're pretty fun to throw around, especially when you hit a bunch of enemies one after another and the screen just freezes for a bit.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: June 22, 2017, 10:45:38 AM »

Regarding the freeze-frames, I do think that it looks improved now. ^_^

Personally, I do think that I still find it a little jarring--less so, but still--and still suspect that I'd prefer it with a little bit of easing. However, this could just be a matter of personal taste, or it may feel different while playing, rather than watching. *shrugs*

I feel like it's hard to get critiques especially, since I feel that most people get offended when someone else says something's wrong with their game

I don't know how common that is, but speaking for myself, I tend to act on the assumption that critique is welcome unless told otherwise. I feel that critique (in general, not mine specifically) is something that can be very valuable indeed to us as artists, potentially revealing issues or points that we may have missed, thus potentially helping us to improve our works and our skills. I'd rather give it and risk misstepping than withhold it and risk leaving the artist without a point that could have helped them.

I'm glad when critique is well-received, and glad if I manage to help at all. ^_^

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: July 24, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »

Been real busy with Tangledeep stuff, so I haven't been posting a bunch.
It was released recently in early access on steam and GOG, so check it out!
If you don't know, I do all the character and enemy designs, along with their animations.
I also work on the battle effects and skill icons.
The work is a lot of fun and good practice for when I need to go back and make monsters. Cheesy

As for my game, here's a new weapon, the energy ward.
You can pick it up and throw it at enemies.
If you hit an enemy with melee within the ward's radius, it absorbs some of the kinetic energy which charges it up.
You can also charge it by hitting it with your own melee weapon.
The ward then uses the charges to shoot at enemies which debuffs them.
You can also call down a lightning strike on enemies if the ward has enough charges.

The bow also got a new upgrade.
It can now rain arrows down on the heads of enemies which has a 100% chance of doing crit damage.
You charge it up and as it charges, the damage increases along with the number of arrows it shoots out.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #597 on: July 25, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »

Just based on that Tangledeep GIF, the animations in that game have improved significantly over the course of its development thus far. Those shown there look rather good now, indeed! ^_^

wizered67
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 25, 2017, 04:14:52 PM »

I really like the new bow mechanic! The energy ward looks cool too but it seems like it might be a little complicated to use, especially with having to keep track of how charged it is.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: July 25, 2017, 04:59:44 PM »

Yeah, that seems fair.
I'm trying to get all of the weapons to be fun, but some require much more thought power than others, haha.
Figuring out how to get the charges to display on the ward is on the to-do list as well

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic