Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:27:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95114 times)
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #620 on: November 29, 2017, 02:40:10 PM »

I have some layer stuff, the pink and white flower bunches are all on a separate layer.
Things like the walls and trees are on a separate layer from everything as well.
Thanks for confirming my assumption. 
Yes, I did assume that trees and walls would be on a separate layer.  Speaking of walls, the plants on the wall could also be on a separate layer.

Also, I wonder if "dodge" is the proper term for the "roll attack".  To me, dodge would mean to avoid the enemy. However, it seems like, often the hero character and the skull are moving right toward each other and the hero hits the skull but the "Dodge" is displayed on screen.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #621 on: November 30, 2017, 12:56:41 AM »

Also, I wonder if "dodge" is the proper term for the "roll attack".  To me, dodge would mean to avoid the enemy. However, it seems like, often the hero character and the skull are moving right toward each other and the hero hits the skull but the "Dodge" is displayed on screen.

You are correct, but for what I see, in the GIF it seems that the Dodge is not damaging the enemy, because there is no damage points removed + no red flickering.

Games:

TitoOliveira
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #622 on: November 30, 2017, 07:24:13 AM »

Seems like both the attack and the dodge do that game feel thing of freezing the game for a few frames. The ambiguity of the feedback is what's causing the confusion.

I'd say take the frame freeze out of the dodge action and it should be fine.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #623 on: November 30, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »

Yeah, I've talked about it with a few others and realized that since you're probably going to be dodging often, having freeze frames trigger every time will get annoying.
For me, freeze frames are the new screenshake, use too much of it everywhere, and it loses its meaning and becomes annoying

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #624 on: December 01, 2017, 12:56:30 AM »

Yeah, I've talked about it with a few others and realized that since you're probably going to be dodging often, having freeze frames trigger every time will get annoying.
For me, freeze frames are the new screenshake, use too much of it everywhere, and it loses its meaning and becomes annoying

Maybe are the white stripes that spawns for few frames when you are dodging that it is causing confusion. If so, you could leave the frame freeze.

Games:

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #625 on: December 01, 2017, 01:49:59 AM »

You're onto something wonderful  Smiley

I totally agree! Also...

Venusaur!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #626 on: December 01, 2017, 02:58:24 PM »

Also, I wonder if "dodge" is the proper term for the "roll attack".  To me, dodge would mean to avoid the enemy. However, it seems like, often the hero character and the skull are moving right toward each other and the hero hits the skull but the "Dodge" is displayed on screen.

You are correct, but for what I see, in the GIF it seems that the Dodge is not damaging the enemy, because there is no damage points removed + no red flickering.
I know what you mean, but my issue is related to "collision boxes".  If the game was a 2d side scrolling game, then I wouldn't mind the hero being able to pass by the enemies.  However, in the current perspective, especially in cases one character is moving up and the other is down, there's no ambiguity that the two characters can avoid each other.  It'd be similar to two cars playing chicken and moving "through" each other.  I'd expect it there to be some kind of contact.

Also, as has been mentioned, the large white stripes give the illusion of collision or *slash fx* especially since dodge happens when the two characters are close.

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #627 on: December 02, 2017, 02:54:15 AM »

I know what you mean, but my issue is related to "collision boxes".  If the game was a 2d side scrolling game, then I wouldn't mind the hero being able to pass by the enemies.  However, in the current perspective, especially in cases one character is moving up and the other is down, there's no ambiguity that the two characters can avoid each other.  It'd be similar to two cars playing chicken and moving "through" each other.  I'd expect it there to be some kind of contact.

Depends, if I remember correctly in Link To the Past after an enemy touched you, Link will take damage and flicker, removing the collision and enabling you to move through an enemy.

Games:

giannis
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: December 02, 2017, 04:47:39 AM »

Just wanted to say this game looks incredible -- really nice art style. Keep up the great work.
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: December 02, 2017, 08:48:31 AM »

I know what you mean, but my issue is related to "collision boxes".  If the game was a 2d side scrolling game, then I wouldn't mind the hero being able to pass by the enemies.  However, in the current perspective, especially in cases one character is moving up and the other is down, there's no ambiguity that the two characters can avoid each other.  It'd be similar to two cars playing chicken and moving "through" each other.  I'd expect it there to be some kind of contact.

Depends, if I remember correctly in Link To the Past after an enemy touched you, Link will take damage and flicker, removing the collision and enabling you to move through an enemy.
That means that there was contact in the first place. Wink

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #630 on: December 02, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »

In this game, most enemies damage you only if they actually attack you.
You can walk through them and only suffer a movement penalty while in contact, which however stacks.

That's why there is no "roll attack," it is a dodge that happens to give you benefits, to reward a more offensive playstyle.

In the above pic, the enemies above the line don't damage you until they attack, be it a charge from a bat, skull, or wolf.
The frog tries to jump on you, the eyeball jumps high into the air and tries to land on you.
The skeleton with the shield tries to slash you, while the other one throws bones at you.
The cat statue and the enemy next to it shoot lasers at you, and the flower spits out spores everywhere that explode.
The bush, and the batch of eyes both spawn enemies, and the crystal has several mini crystals that orbit around doing damage on contact.

As for the enemies below the line, they will damage you if you run into them, except the zombie, that one grabs you and then bites you if you can't break free in time.
Also, the mushroom explodes on contact with the player.

However, in the current perspective, especially in cases one character is moving up and the other is down, there's no ambiguity that the two characters can avoid each other.  It'd be similar to two cars playing chicken and moving "through" each other.  I'd expect it there to be some kind of contact.

Interesting point though on having an interaction between the player and enemy on contact, I'll think about how that stacks up against what I currently have

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #631 on: December 02, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »

posting for follow  Kiss
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: December 03, 2017, 03:21:46 PM »

In this game, most enemies damage you only if they actually attack you.
You can walk through them and only suffer a movement penalty while in contact, which however stacks.

That's why there is no "roll attack," it is a dodge that happens to give you benefits, to reward a more offensive playstyle.

In the above pic, the enemies above the line don't damage you until they attack, be it a charge from a bat, skull, or wolf.
The frog tries to jump on you, the eyeball jumps high into the air and tries to land on you.
The skeleton with the shield tries to slash you, while the other one throws bones at you.
The cat statue and the enemy next to it shoot lasers at you, and the flower spits out spores everywhere that explode.
The bush, and the batch of eyes both spawn enemies, and the crystal has several mini crystals that orbit around doing damage on contact.

As for the enemies below the line, they will damage you if you run into them, except the zombie, that one grabs you and then bites you if you can't break free in time.
Also, the mushroom explodes on contact with the player.
Thanks for the description.  Those enemies (even above the line) look quite dangerous.  Not sure if I would be even tempted to come in contact with them. :D  Unless the tutorials somehow explain or hint at that aspect in some form.

snowflakestudios
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: December 03, 2017, 11:14:05 PM »

It's crazy how much those shadows add!  It really makes the game stand out.  Did you animate each shadow by hand or did you apply a transform to the 'actual' sprites or something?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic