Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 11:27:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95029 times)
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »

MAXIMUM JUICE
-Kicking up dust
-New weapon (huge knockback)
-GIBS

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2013, 09:32:45 AM »

Found a neat plugin for ConstructClassic that generates dungeons.
After messing around with it, I can make the maps as seen above.
Also, since I've been working on my map maker, it won't be very hard to make these maps playable in game.

This was an awesome find, and I'm excited that the game will probably go in a new direction now.

RedPandaWasTaken
Level 0

oh, honey

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2013, 02:45:05 PM »

we roguelike now
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2013, 07:33:15 PM »

Cloud Strife would be so proud of that new sword.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2013, 09:43:42 PM »

This looks cool, I'll play the demo soon and then post some feedback.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2013, 12:17:22 PM »

So I took a semi extended gamedev break for the first time in a while.
But now I'm getting back to working on stuff.

Right now I'm working on a modular enemy behavior system that will allow me to have more enemy types and varieties and interchangeable things all with the benefit of a much more organized enemy system that is also a lot easier to work with.
How it works is that I’ve split off all the current enemy behaviors into what I’ll call “cards”.
Each enemy has a movement card and at least one attack card and some will have one or more passive cards as well.

My goal is to make a bunch of cards that don’t conflict with each other so that all I’ll have to do is draw up the enemy sprites and be done with it.
This will allow me to have a much greater variety of enemies in the game and can probably apply to the bosses as well.

For example the skeleton in game now would have a random movement card and a projectile card.
Basically what it does is randomly move around until it decides to stop and throw a bone at you.

I could modify the attack to throw more bones, different bones, or even different projectiles altogether.
I could also add a passive card to it so that it is always emitting poisonous clouds of gas or perhaps it would explode after you defeat it.

I could also change it so that the skeleton chases you, disappears when you look at it, throws homing fireballs at you or casts a shockwave to knock you back, has a frontal shield and an aura that heals all monsters around it and explodes into small homing balls of fire when you destroy it.
I think I can get that to work, I just have to put the cards in.
And at that point I should just draw up a few sprites and call it a new enemy altogether.

Second of the big things I’m working on right now is the randomly generated dungeons.
I’m not going to be just throwing them in there for the hell of it (not anymore at least).
It’s going to actually play a role in the story, so on top of that I’m going to have my own hand crafted dungeons more focused on puzzles. The procedurally generated dungeons will be more focused on the action part of the game.

You’ll be able to go in the procedural dungeon and meet NPCs, get some quests and find some treasures.
But as to how that all works out right now is a secret (even to me in some cases).

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2013, 10:05:48 PM »

A normal skeleton?
Not a chance.

Here's the modular enemy behaviors at work.
All these skeletons have a jumping movement that I just put in.
They all have one of seven different attacks.
Throw bone, Grab player, Overlap attack, charge, fireballs, boomerang thing and poison gas clouds.
All I would need to do is replace the placeholders with real sprites, and bam, they're now enemies in the game.
I still have to try adding passive cards (explained above) to them so that they could do things like, leave trails of fire or slime and explode into fireballs upon death.

mason
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2013, 11:15:36 PM »

Damn that's cool.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2013, 05:30:28 AM »

Played it for a bit, I like the art and the sound but there's a few things that could be improved.

The pixels get distorted when you push on the walls and the text boxes have blurry text in them.
For some reason I couldn't respawn in the main quest, it just shows a black screen, I can hear the enemies attacking and if I press certain buttons it just crashes.
The sprint feels like the speed I should normally be moving, having to hold down an extra button to get the movement speed I want is rather irritating.
Also a flicker effect and more knockback when you are hit would be nice.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2013, 05:36:15 AM »

Pretty interesting system , so when you have multiple attack cards , you pick one at random ?
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2013, 07:02:27 AM »

@Jono

I didn't have time to put in a proper game over screen in the game, so there's no crash, it just ends. Blurry text and distorted pixels will be things I need to work on later.
I'll have to either add an always run option or maybe get rid of sprinting
I've been thinking about adding the flickering thing as well as some kind of invincibility time.

I've noticed most of these things, but at the moment, I'm more interested in working on the bigger mechanics than the polish right now. I will definitely work on them as I get closer to releasing another demo.

@Whiteclaws
If the way I'm thinking about works, I should be able to pick out the cards based on probabilities. I might even have it so that cards would activate under certain conditions like low health.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2013, 09:21:41 PM »

I'm adding new monsters.
What else should I add?

Stratovarius
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2013, 07:22:23 AM »

I'm adding new monsters.
What else should I add?

More wizards  Wizard
Base
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2013, 08:06:03 AM »

Maybe you should add enemies that take more damage from specific weapons? No ideas on what this would look like, but they probably shouldn't be too strong so that you can handle them even if you don't have the particular weapon they're weak to. Unless you wanna make it really hard.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 01, 2013, 08:41:06 AM »

@Stratovarius
I JUST put another wizard in asdfsasdfasdfasdf

@Base
I currently have it so that enemies can get stunned if you use a specific weapon. I was thinking of adding an attribute system so I don't think It'll be hard to do the same thing with different damage types.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: October 01, 2013, 08:55:08 AM »

add this

sounds like this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36814103/music%20doodles/bork.ogg

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »

More new enemies. Might not use them all, but good practice.
I totally forgot to add the MushSprite.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: October 05, 2013, 07:58:59 PM »

Woah, new sprites.

Also, I got the procedurally generated dungeons in game.
I've been running around bashing some skeletons.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 07, 2013, 05:59:58 AM »

Here's the procedural dungeon in action.
I've also added invincibility time as well as a rolling action.
You can also see the modular enemy behaviors in action too.
It was a good weekend full of progress.

Iso
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2013, 07:13:41 AM »

This game looks awesome, I love me some skill based combat. Invincible rolls are my favourite kind of mechanic (I love Dark Souls and Monster Hunter).

I have one question, out of curiosity from your latest gif. The skeletons have a shadow but why doesn't the player?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic