Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:55:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookInsomnia [Finished]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Insomnia [Finished]  (Read 39227 times)
Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »

Got the good ending placeholder  Beer!

It's getting even better, I like these stress inducing games(I got a 'need full wake' jump near the end). Now, maybe you could add decreaser items (pillows, pills..) and traps on harder levels.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 05:09:49 PM »

That doesn't seem like a very good way to ask for help... WTF

Yeah I guess not. I am probably being overly protective of the project. I have had some bad experiances with artists at my job. If nobody helps I can still probably out put something decent but I would prefer to spend my time coding in new features. Besides a lot of the pixel art I have seen here outshines my modest attempts at the medium, so I figure It couldn't hurt to ask.

Got the good ending placeholder  Beer!

It's getting even better, I like these stress inducing games(I got a 'need full wake' jump near the end). Now, maybe you could add decreaser items (pillows, pills..) and traps on harder levels.

I never thaught of puttin anit powerups int this game, but now that you bring it up I guess I could try to add them. I am getting a lot of mixed responses about difficulty. Should I be making this easier or harder?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:28:20 PM by hamster » Logged

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 07:21:50 PM »

By the way, do i post the art here or do i send it to you or what?
Everybody is going to see it anyway. =P

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »

Go ahead an post it here. I look forward to seeing it.

Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 08:24:02 PM »

@Mr. Trianglehead and any one else who wants to do art: I will remove "Artist Needed" from the header when I have the art resouces I need. I may not choose to incorporate the art you submit but I will be greatful for it none the less.

have you ever worked with anyone, ever??
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 08:26:11 PM »

Made a silly attempt at recoloring, but it is likely not what you're after. Also played around a bit with the shading graphics.

I think that the items could use being more iconic, they're hard to read right now. Being in a single color could help.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 08:54:14 PM »

have you ever worked with anyone, ever??

For a paying job yes, but I have never worked on an amature project with another artist. I have done commisioned art for other people before. What usualy works best is a quick sketch followed by a few revisions suggested by the client. This helps sync the artist's vision with the client's before attempting the final piece. What I am asking for is the quick sketch before we proceed with redoing all the sprites. Is there any better way of going about this?

Ok I take back the "I may not choose to incorporate the art you submit". If you go through all the trouble of redoing all my graphics I will accept and publish your graphics. but what I am asking for is a quick mockup to get an idea of what colors would be most appropriate before diving into redrawing my sprites.

@agj: Thanks for submitting but I was kind of hoping to move away from the solid color look. Still with the small graphics maybe it would be better to stay with solid colors. I was going for an old 1900's light house for the setting. Creeky rotting wood and all.

Terry
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 09:02:37 PM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to get on your back about it; it just seemed like a very strange thing to say. Mostly, it seemed to imply that you just wanted an artist who'd follow your specifications to the letter, and I don't see you getting very far if you choose to collaborate that way.

But I see that you've already gotten two offers of help in this thread, so maybe I'm wrong.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 09:22:50 PM »

I have had too many bad experiance with incompatable art files to not be very specific. Event then it doesn't always work.

Perhaps I am being an oger about this. I admit my past attempts at internet colaboration have gone miserably. For those of you who have suceeded at internet colaboration between artist and code monkey, what do you advise?

moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 03:39:00 AM »

Neat little game. I've played a few tower climbing games lately and each seems to work on a slightly different mechanic. This is definitely one of the better ones, although it's very hard.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 05:02:18 AM »

very cool game, so much atmosphere. loving the "halo of consciousness" and the music. and is that a Hubert Farnsworth yawn?=D

EDIT: it crashed a little too hard when I tried to quit. (that's what happens to the ones who try to bail out on the ancient ones. or drugs. Evil) and it's persistent. actually it pulled the sound mixer with it into the depth. but, it could be a Bootcamp XP specific issue.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:12:19 AM by !CE-9 » Logged

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52:50 AM »

very cool game, so much atmosphere. loving the "halo of consciousness" and the music. and is that a Hubert Farnsworth yawn?=D

EDIT: it crashed a little too hard when I tried to quit. (that's what happens to the ones who try to bail out on the ancient ones. or drugs. Evil) and it's persistent. actually it pulled the sound mixer with it into the depth. but, it could be a Bootcamp XP specific issue.

Sounds are made by Anthony Curry, I don't ask too many questions about where he got them. As for crashing on Bootcamp XP, I haven't had that experience yet. I am not cleaning up my mrmory when the program quits. That might have something to do with it. I will try and fix it in the next build.

Global Head
Level 0

This text is supposed to be personal

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »

Hi,Hamster. I think you've got a very good game going here.
It is very fun,addicting and I like the overall style as well.

The only thing I think you might need to improve on, is when you climb ladders.
When you reach the top, you start to fall down again, and that sometimes causes unnessessary Game overs.

But again, I think it's a really good and fun game Cheers!  Beer!

Beware, I live!
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »

Happy Halloween everyone.

I thank those of you who have offered to help me with the art. I hope you have not gone off the deep end and attempted to re-skin the entire thing yourself. I keep ranting about a quick mockup and I figure I should provide an example. This took me about 45 min with the GIMP:

I know there are people who frequent these forums that can put this image to shame. I ask you to do so. Once we have a decent mix of colors it is a lot of ink drop and pencil tool actions to duplicate it through out the entire game. I am happy to do some or all of that sprite work.

If you are feeling creative you can come up with new platform sections. I can change my code to include more types of platforms and it will give the game a more diverse random level layout.

As for the ladder issue, I know about it but will be unable to fix it without removing the ability to climb down ladder. You will just have to learn to walk sideways at the top of the ladder, or fall to your doom Evil

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 01:59:26 PM »

You know what is ironic? You did better than i. =P
Well, i didn't understand what you meand by metal railings and ropes, so you probably got it better because you had in your mind what you wanted.
In any case, here is a preview of what i had until now, i was about to work on these things you put in the platforms (stupid english of mine).

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 02:12:50 PM by Mir@k » Logged

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 02:55:41 PM »

Mir@k, I like your background. I will defiantly include that in the finished version. Your platforms are a good start but they don't have to be so uniform. We can use yours as a base and add little bits of decay here and there.

If you don't mind I would like to keep my stairs instead of your girder.

As for the player's avatar I like yours but I want to give him suspenders and a bit of shading on the shirt. I will not alter him until you say it is ok.

Going forward I would like to get a copy of your background without anything in the foreground. Just post it here. Also please tell me how you want your name to appear in the credits. As stated in my earlier posts I am willing to take what you have given me and run with it. However if you want to contribute more I would welcome it. Here are the art tasks that I envision will need to be completed before final release:

Color in existing platform sprites
? Make more platform sprites and associated masks ?
Make ground level sprite
Make lighthouse top sprite
Color in existing player animation.
Make individual animations for each power up
? Make more power ups and animation ?
Make still image for Sad ending
Make still image for Happy ending
Make still image for Main Menu
? Make still image for Intro Screen (run on game start prior to Main Menu)?
? Make some Lovecraft style back story to justify why player is running around in a lighthouse taking drugs. To be displayed in the intro screen and possibly happy ending. ?

To prevent duplication of effort tell me which if any of these tasks you want to do. Also I am taking off the "Artist Needed" form the subject line, but I will still accept art submitted from anyone if it looks better than what we already have.

seregrail7
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »

My thoughts on what you have online:
Controls feel a tad too twitchy, a found it hard to be anyway precise, but I may need some practice. Having said that, it's tough to play all the entries so making them tough could mean a lot of people moving on fast.
Getting off ladders is awkward, you never seem to land on the platform above properly.

The concept is great, and it's still fun to play. And frankly I think I like the way the art is at the moment, very abstract and fits in with the whole falling asleep thing.
Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »

It's 200 pixels tall. Yeah, feel free to alter the guy's sprite.

Of those items you listed, i know not how many or which i can make, probably all of them though you're welcome to keep accepting art from others as well, i will go making them in my free time like the background and the platforms i did, and will be posting them here as i go finishing them.
I have an idea for the lighthouse top which it's the first thing i'll do right now.

As for my name,
Karimn "Mir@k" D.K.I.
will do (if you cannot include the "@", replace it with an "a").

I havent played the latest update so i don't know if this has been fixed already or not, but when i tested the background, when you reach the top of the lighthouse and an't go up no more, the background keeps going down.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2008, 09:06:23 PM »

I have imported your background and am working on puting your colors on the running guy. I have decided against suspenders and am keeping your green tie as is. I will upload a new build when I am done with the running and jumping frames.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2008, 09:42:07 PM »

I actually thought the simple graphics you had before were fine, but this does look much better.

Looking forward to playing the final version Smiley

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic