Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:51:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookInsomnia [Finished]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Insomnia [Finished]  (Read 39223 times)
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2008, 10:53:05 PM »

I personally thought the placeholder graphics had a lot more style to them.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2008, 11:28:35 PM »

New upload with some of the new graphics. I think the dark green pants don't contrast too well with the background, but if his pants get any brighter he will look like the rideler's cousin.

Download at http://www.monkeydev.com/insomnia/ as usual.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2008, 10:42:36 PM »

Honestly I have been slacking a lot between the last post and this one. I have a project at work that is sapping my creative energies. When I get home I have Spore waiting for me. However with the deadline less than a week away I finaly setteled down and started grinding out the game.

I basicaly completed all the in game sprites and game play elements. Yes those black thing comming from the bottom of the screen are tenticles and they will rape you.

All that is left is makeing the good ending, the bad ending, an intor splash screen, and cleaning up the main menu. Even if I don't get that done I can still submit this as a playable game.

Download as always at: http://www.monkeydev.com/insomnia/

Mr Dumle
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 01:14:23 AM »

Great fun!  Beer!

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2008, 12:43:55 AM »

Game finished at 12:34. It is a little past the due time I know, but I was at Thanksgiving dinner untill 11:30 with no internet.  Sad

The final part of this program is the art and text to replace the place holder endings. I also added an introduction that gives a little back story. I also did a little play ballancing to make the game easier.

It has been a fun competition. I thank Tigsource for hosting it, Anthony Curry for sound, mir@k for art, and Liz Ambrose for story assistance.

Beer!

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2008, 01:12:14 AM »

I love both the intro, bad and good ending.

genericuser
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2008, 07:06:32 AM »

Good game. Didn't get to the ending, though...it's too hard for me!
medieval
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2008, 08:03:33 AM »

Although I hadn't made any responses before, I have been watching this project and I love the outcome of it! Beer!
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 06:43:11 AM »

Nice game. Too hard for me too, I didn't get to the ending.

I like how the jump depends on your sleepiness (which makes collecting items as essential as getting to the top), but sometimes it tricks me into thinking I can make a jump I can't make. Not that it's a bad thing, it's a nice feature, but sometimes it frustrates me when I'm doing good and then midair I realize my jump is too weak and die. Although you kind of reduced that effect by allowing the character to hang onto borders - that was useful for me. Well, I'm saying things, but I don't really want you to change that. Smiley

I really liked the story at the intro. Graphics are good, too. Beer!
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 08:10:09 PM »

Thank you all for your kind words. I apologies for not doing enough 3rd party play testing. In my defense I did want this game to be maddeningly difficult. Some things that might help you:

You can perform the flying hook maneuver on the sides of the tower as well as the sides of the plat form. Once hooked on, you can jump and rehook at a higher point.

Try to avoid the pills and the syringe unless you are very sleepy. The more “medication” you take, the higher the black tentacles will reach.

Grab as many power ups as you can. The game is much easier to beat when you are running and jumping at maximum. Once you pass below ¾ sleepiness (the third yawn) you are pretty much done for unless you are about to walk all over a bunch of powerups. 

Mir@k
Level 1

Pffffffft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2008, 09:26:15 PM »

So the tentacles actually harm you or something? They never touched me before. XD

increpare
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2008, 09:35:16 PM »

Wow: this is a real masterpiece of ambiance(though the platforming is a bit...idiosyncratic...it somehow didn't screw things up at all in terms of the overall pleasure of the game).  Really, playing it was a gigantic pleasure.  It's also 5:34 AM now  Tired

A way to scroll through the intro diary more quickly would be good: I ended up finding and reading through the text file in the time it took the first two days to scroll by in the game...
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 09:47:06 PM »

I really loved the intro text.

Didn't get to the ending though. :[
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2008, 09:37:02 AM »

Nice Grin

I hadn't played this one since your early build, but it ended up looking pretty slick.  And even though it is very difficult, I did finally manage to get to the end.  I think I just got lucky with some convenient ladder placement Tongue

I thought the story was pretty good, and the ending was nice and bleak.  Just the way Lovecraft should be.

tweet tweet @j_younger
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2008, 11:24:04 AM »

I actually had trouble reading it quickly enough the first time. Tongue I'm a slow reader.

Making them static text that you skip with button presses would probably be ideal.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2008, 11:41:36 AM »

Static text with button press to move on proably would be better. I like how it was done in Endless Cavern. The entry will remain as is for competion voting. I may patch it to look better later. What I would have liked to have done, if I had time, was get or make a font that looks like hand writing. Maybe put the entire thing on top of some background that looks like a log book.

Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2008, 05:56:11 PM »

TYPO ENDTEXT SPOILER
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2008, 02:29:24 PM »

For the style of game this is, I found the control a little too slippery. This, coupled with the difficulty of not knowing how far you can jump, made the platforming a bit frustrating.

It was worth making it to the end, though. The intro and outro were perfect.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »

I love this game, although it's too hard for me. I'm having trouble seeing where I can jump and where I can't, and haven't worked out how to hook on or unhook reliably, although reading the thread I see that could be to do with being too sleepy. But it's very addictive; the graphics are great; the tentacles are tasteful but effective; I love how the narrowing screen subtly gives it a feeling of progression, but makes you worry where you will end up; the tiredness works well; and overall there's a great panicky feeling that something bad is going on but you are too sleepy to understand exactly what's happening.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »

To hook on a ledge hold the up button while jumping. To un hook press the jump button while hooked. It also helps to be pusing the movement in the direction of the ledge you hooked on to get on top of it. You should be able to do this at any sleepyness level.

The difficulty is ment to inspire madness, and the typo was because I was sleepy when I was finishing this. The narrowing is there to give the user a sense of progression and claustrophobia. Also it takes place in a lighthouse which tend to narrow as it reaches the apex. I am glad so many people like it even if they could not beat it. If I were not so rushed towards the end of development I would have done external playtesting. That is watched a friend play it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic