Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:00:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Storing Game Data Efficeintly
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Storing Game Data Efficeintly  (Read 14956 times)
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2007, 04:58:06 AM »

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2007, 05:04:28 AM »

Huh?

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 17, 2007, 05:07:43 AM »

I assumed you were mocking the need or interest in bit packing/RLE compression.  Else I'm completely lost on the Atari comment.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 17, 2007, 05:14:07 AM »

I'm completely lost on the Atari comment.

Well excuse me princess.   Tongue

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2007, 05:16:21 AM »

Gah... defeated again.   Angry

4baka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2007, 07:30:25 PM »

kk I'm not the best coder ever, but wouldnt it be best to be able to store vector data for your images rather than bit mapping?  Vectors draw the image based on the mathematical position f an images edge rather than per pixel.  I would think all that is required is to break down a vector format into your game function then recompile it when needed.

Please excuse my ignorance if this is the dumbest idea ever.  My experience with anything not web based is severely limited.

Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2007, 07:55:33 PM »

It would not only be possible, it would probably be smaller than any compressed raster graphics format (given the available sample)! The issue is what would you use to edit such a format, and what happens if you want to make use of information which is not easily depicted in a vector-based format? For example, the grouping of rectangles represented in the original image could be expressed using several bytes of polygons, but if other images required non-parametric curves, it would probably become inefficient (or just ugly) to represent them using vector approximations.

So yes, it's not a bad idea, maybe, but it depends on requirements. We really don't know the specifics of what the requirements are right now, so I doubt we could say with any certainty.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2007, 09:15:26 AM »

kk I'm not the best coder ever, but wouldnt it be best to be able to store vector data for your images rather than bit mapping?

Yep.  Though, explaining how to draw (rasterize) a filled polygon and/or closed set bezier curve might have more difficult.  However, rectangles would be straight forward, as they'd only be 2 points, and you'd loop from one extreme to the other.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic