Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 08:30:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThief Story
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Author Topic: Thief Story  (Read 77085 times)
ericmbernier
Level 3

Sometimes I make games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: April 09, 2014, 11:08:55 AM »

A fun easter egg with the cell phones would be the ability to check the screen after stealing one and perhaps seeing some awkward / funny text message conversations.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2014, 01:56:05 PM »

What about moving slower the more you collect items

Just noticed this, fine project sir!
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2014, 02:00:30 PM »

Will there regular phones in houses too? So you might also have to cut phone lines, as well steal the cellphone.

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2014, 02:03:14 PM »

Welcome!

You won't move slower from collecting more items. There will be a carry limit but it won't mess with your speed.

I made this decision just based off the fact that I generally dislike becoming slowed down in games. Sure it's realistic but I just feel like it's too great a punishment, especially when your prime objective is to grab lots of stuff and get around quickly. I'm all for freedom of movement. Ninja

Will there regular phones in houses too? So you might also have to cut phone lines, as well steal the cellphone.

Never even crossed my mind, but it's an excellent idea! Could definitely have something like that in the more difficult burglaries.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2014, 04:42:14 PM »

Never even crossed my mind, but it's an excellent idea! Could definitely have something like that in the more difficult burglaries.
put some C4 on house phones, just in case some funny guy wanted to get news from the police
SafetySnail
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 09, 2014, 05:06:01 PM »

Although I'm not entirely sure how the neighbourhood is going to be laid out, it could be really cool if stealing from someone could give clues about what the best time to rob their house might be.
For example, their wallet could have their address in it and the cellphone could have a message saying that they will be going away on holiday in a week or something.
Could open up a lot of interesting scenarios.

This is looking beautiful by the way, keen to see more!
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:39 AM »

The burglaries are kind of laid out like predefined missions (rob this place at night and steal x amount, rob this place during the day and steal x amount) so I'm not sure getting clues for when to rob a place would help much in this case... however, I think it could still be cool to get special clues or hints about stuff by stealing things off of people.

Since the game has a Super Mario World type overworld, there could be stuff like maybe some guy has a little hand scribbled note that marks the location of his buried treasure on the overworld map, and you can then go to that spot and find it. Smiley

Speaking of the overworld map, I might be able to get around to showing that off here in a short while... I still want to fill it out a bit more and we need a few additional art assets for it, but soon enough I can show it to give everyone a better understanding as to how you go about getting around the world and picking places to loot. Smiley

Thanks for the comments!

imaginedd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2014, 06:29:48 AM »

This looks brilliant, I love the aesthetic and concept!

As I was reading through I was thoroughly excited by the addition of the mini-challenges throughout the level, lockpicking and pickpocketing are brilliant ideas, especially as you progress through the game to harder levels, having to break into a room in order to see the map to make sure you get the best loot, or pickpocket the guard to get the pin code for the vault would make it a lot more replayable than just smash and grab.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »

Thanks! Glad you like it so far!

Speaking of pickpocketing, I'm going to be posting a new gif soon showing off the pickpocketing portion of the game. Stay tuned. Smiley

Peléo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 29, 2014, 07:54:11 PM »

Each civilian will be able to carry up to 4 different items. Most everyone will have a cellphone. (who doesn't nowadays?) and then they will have a variety of items such as cash, watches, jewelry... even gum wrappers.  Smiley Hand Money Right

If anyone has ideas for loot in the game, feel free to share! I have a pretty extensive list but I'm sure there is a lot of stuff I'm missing.

Maybe it would be a nice touch if the civilians eventually used the items, and having their actions change when they realize they have been robbed. Like a man checking the time and entering desperate mode once he realizes his watch has been stolen. Or a little girl starting to cry when her pet photo is gone. Yet,you may not want to evoke guilty feelings on the player.

Some valuable things people may have in their pockets: rare stamp, autographed picture, guitar pick, exotic pets, old whisky, prescption medicine, silver comb.
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 29, 2014, 11:12:49 PM »

Haha, yeah I'm not sure I want to take the players down a guilt trip route that extreme.

Awesome suggestions for personal items! Smiley

I wish I could post some of the work we're doing... especially the amazing overworld map we've been putting together... but it's very much a WIP and I kind of want to save the majority of that for players to experience on their own.

But I promise the game is still being worked on! Lots of work being done. I've been super busy lately and just haven't had time to update this thread.

The past couple of weeks I've been implementing some important saving/loading functions and also testing out a day time tileset and updating the OW map stuff with the amazing art.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 29, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »

What? No, that's awesome! See the consequences of your actions! Then it's actually educational in a way Tongue
Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 30, 2014, 02:37:00 AM »

From the title screen I already want to play it. Then you mentioned Zelda-style gameplay and now I REALLY want to play this.
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2014, 04:33:21 PM »

Did we ever follow up on that deconstructivist version?

(← new art twitter)
lai-studioguts
Level 0

Hello. Kobo would like to be your friend.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: July 21, 2014, 07:22:47 PM »

Hand Clap SUPER polished! I can't wait to see more!

Fresh Mozzarella
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 20, 2015, 11:55:53 AM »

Tell me this isn't dead : (

games
absolute8
Level 5

WTF, some aggressive nerd... (•̀ω•́)و ̑̑

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2017, 08:05:27 PM »

I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME! Mock Anger

:handmoneyL:BUMP!!! Hand Money Right

Verymadhatter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2019, 12:11:19 AM »

i actually created an account here just to check up on this game  Who, Me? Who, Me?
so uh, how-ehem how is everything?
JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2019, 12:23:39 AM »

The twitter just started updating again this month: https://twitter.com/KonitamaGames
Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2019, 01:07:56 AM »

After a too long hiatus we are back at it!

Really looking to finish development on this game once and for all. On a side note, the game is now 1280x720 resolution (wide) and we're aiming for PC/Mac and Switch release.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic