Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411521 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:59:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPainters Guild [OUT NOW]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Painters Guild [OUT NOW]  (Read 120870 times)
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2013, 04:10:26 PM »

Thanks!

Paintings progress bars are in. Not sure if they'll make it to the final game, but they'll be my painting progress indicator until I make the actual painting visuals.

A few things that I need to do next:

-Support for multiple floors.
-Energy/fatigue of artists.
-Other objects: chair to regain energy
-Selling finished paintings.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »

Trying to figure out how paintings might look. The one on the left would be made by different artists with different styles (chiaroscuro, sfumato...), while the right one is consistently a single style.

Still working on this, ideas welcome.

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »

I liked this perspective better and the game is looking nice  Coffee

I could give you many ideas but i really like the simplicity in that and i don't wanna ruin it. Best of luck for you !
IronWill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2013, 05:19:45 AM »

I love the way this game looks.  I'm glad you settled on a side perspective instead of top down.  It makes things easier to read.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »

I have to say, this is a really neat concept and it looks fun and cute. I like these sim/tycoon/micro-management games Smiley

But I'm worried how you're going to extend it into a full game. Where does the difficulty come from? A patron showing up to request a painting is cool but that might get boring soon. I think it needs more varied tasks and challenges.

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »

What is the goal of the game? Are we just grinding away at commissions to buy new furniture for our workplace?

There needs to be a drive to want to do this...

Maybe have a competing art studio nearby and you have to better your studio in order to attract more patrons to your place instead of the competition? Are we painting to feed our families? Are we painting for a better life?

I look at a game like Papers, Please and I think that game would be incredibly boring without the drive to better your family's situation. If you are just playing "job simulator" with no end goal or driving force then I'm not sure where the fun would come in.

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »

I don't think this is a job simulator, more like Game Dev Tycoon. That game had lots of promise but it became pretty boring after a while. Grindy almost. One thing I'd use from that game is letting the player choose painting style / subject and name paintings. It's a lot of fun giving stuff silly names.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2013, 01:54:48 PM »

I liked this perspective better and the game is looking nice  Coffee

I could give you many ideas but i really like the simplicity in that and i don't wanna ruin it. Best of luck for you !
I love the way this game looks.  I'm glad you settled on a side perspective instead of top down.  It makes things easier to read.

Thank you both!

What is the goal of the game? Are we just grinding away at commissions to buy new furniture for our workplace?

There needs to be a drive to want to do this...

Maybe have a competing art studio nearby and you have to better your studio in order to attract more patrons to your place instead of the competition? Are we painting to feed our families? Are we painting for a better life?

I look at a game like Papers, Please and I think that game would be incredibly boring without the drive to better your family's situation. If you are just playing "job simulator" with no end goal or driving force then I'm not sure where the fun would come in.

This is good feedback.

Yes, I've thought of competition. But it would appear in an abstract way. There'd be a ranking of the greatest guilds by prestige. You start at the bottom and have to work your way up. With higher prestige, more important patrons will ask for paintings (for example, the Pope). You might also compete with other guilds to keep your good artists - better guilds might offer them higher pay and you need to match the price.

Families are not involved. You control the guild, not an artist. You're painting to improve your guild. It is true that this leads to a boredom state after you make all the progress you can make - like after you build your dream house in The Sims, that's usually when you get bored and stop playing. My only idea to counter this is to allow the player to make up his own goals. I want to focus on emergent narrative: the player makes his own story, there is no story in the game (like in Crusader Kings 2 - it's a sandbox with interesting things you might want to accomplish). Some elements that should help this are characters and customization.

The characters are the painters. You can hire an apprentice at age 16, poor skills, and groom him into a master at the age of 40. He'll then be the one teaching a new generation of artists for the guild. Characters should have depth also with gender (there were many female renaissance painters) and style. What if you want a guild full of female painters in the chiaroscuro style? You can set that goal for yourself.

I don't think this is a job simulator, more like Game Dev Tycoon. That game had lots of promise but it became pretty boring after a while. Grindy almost. One thing I'd use from that game is letting the player choose painting style / subject and name paintings. It's a lot of fun giving stuff silly names.

I was thinking of random names for paintings this time. I did the whole naming thing in Avant-Garde and one of the most requested features was random names. Perhaps random names with the ability to change them if you want? The style will be determined by which artists work on a painting. Clashing styles will result in worse paintings. Patrons might also make style requests. If your painting turns out in the style they wanted, they will pay a big bonus. This makes it an interesting choice in guild management: do I have a bunch of artists who all paint in the same style (thus making better paintings), or do I have a few in each style so that I can get the bonuses?

I think the best solution to boredom is challenge. Give the player a problem to solve. One such problem that will be in the game are hurdles that appear while you're painting. They'll be little icons that show up in different parts of the painting and that will require an artist painting in a specific style to overcome, otherwise no progress is made in that part of the painting. More hurdles will appear in more difficult paintings, and you might need to get an artist that is doing something else (like practicing) to solve this problem and allow the painting to be completed.

Thanks for the feedback guys, let me know what you think.

Edit: You mentioned more variation in challenge. I think it could come in form of random bonuses that you might get if you fullfill a patron's request. Like a "Youth" bonus if the painting is made by artists under 30 years old, or another if it's made only by female artists, another if the guild master paints most of the painting (and not his apprentices) and so on. I think this could spice things up, thanks for the suggestion and let me know if you like this idea.

If anyone is interested, this is my design document/idea dump.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:25:24 PM by AD1337 » Logged

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2013, 02:37:28 PM »

A loading screen or main menu, perhaps.

My idea is that the painting is gradually completed as the game loads - starts with a blank canvas, then sketch lines gradually appear, then underpainting, colors, details...

illugion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »

Oh i like those particles in the light, can't wait to see that animated!
I read your ideas and you've written a lot! I wanted to say that i really like the idea of having a master and tutoring and i think artists dying and choosing a new master could give a nice touch to the game

Maybe the paintings from him could have a bigger value after he died as they become rare ( i don't know if you instantly sell your paintings or you could save some for later )

And i read about artists saying that they want more money or want to leave and it came to my mind: would there be artists trying to join you by themselves ? Like, maybe a famous artist from other guild or just a random old guy that you don't know if you can trust him or not.. It's just an idea, i thought it would be cool to have some random encounters.. ( maybe paintings could get stolen and then only found years later and would have a HUGE value )

...Sorry for writing that much, i got a bit hyped after reading everything
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »

Oh i like those particles in the light, can't wait to see that animated!
I read your ideas and you've written a lot! I wanted to say that i really like the idea of having a master and tutoring and i think artists dying and choosing a new master could give a nice touch to the game

Maybe the paintings from him could have a bigger value after he died as they become rare ( i don't know if you instantly sell your paintings or you could save some for later )

And i read about artists saying that they want more money or want to leave and it came to my mind: would there be artists trying to join you by themselves ? Like, maybe a famous artist from other guild or just a random old guy that you don't know if you can trust him or not.. It's just an idea, i thought it would be cool to have some random encounters.. ( maybe paintings could get stolen and then only found years later and would have a HUGE value )

...Sorry for writing that much, i got a bit hyped after reading everything

Cool ideas! Thanks for taking the time to write them out.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2013, 09:19:13 AM »

Styles!

They are in order of similarity. Artists each have a certain style, but they can learn from other artists or from studying to slowly move to other styles. They are like a scale - Cangiante being 0% and Tenebroso being 100%, and the others between the two. Cangiante is the brightest, while Tenebroso is the darkest.

These styles could also be called "manners", which would be more accurate.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »

Putting back in the "icons-going-up-to-represent-painting" system.

That's... close enough.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2013, 12:24:03 PM »

Now working as intended:

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2013, 01:04:30 PM »

Artists can now get tired. See a tired artist (left) compared to a fresh artist (right):

An idea: artists can paint in the styles mentioned above, but very talented artists might sometimes paint a special brushstroke (shown as a gold circle?) that combos with everything. All the better if it combos with another special!

Anyway, now I need a way for the artists to rest.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2013, 01:59:32 PM »

I have added a chair you can sit on.

Doesn't do anything yet.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2013, 02:32:27 PM »

Now it does!

A tired artist rests and regains his energy in this brand new .gif!

I need to make the process more visual. Both his tiredness and his recovery. I'm going with ZzZz animation/particles to show fatigue, and probably a progress bar for recovery.

Oh! And artists should rest a bit if they're not doing anything too. This might be tricky to implement like when they've finished a painting but are still standing in front of it.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:54:29 PM by AD1337 » Logged

hphu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2013, 06:00:55 PM »

Cool this reminds me of the avant garde game http://playavantgarde.com/ . But with visuals instead of just a text rpg. The pixel art looks really nice here.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2013, 06:29:02 PM »

Cool this reminds me of the avant garde game http://playavantgarde.com/ . But with visuals instead of just a text rpg. The pixel art looks really nice here.
*he made that too

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2013, 08:35:48 AM »

I'm the only person in the planet making real ART games.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic