Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411506 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:05:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPainters Guild [OUT NOW]
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Painters Guild [OUT NOW]  (Read 120820 times)
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #740 on: February 20, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »

Love all the little details. Almost has a "Game Dev Tycoon" feel to the management of artists that I think works well. This seems like one of those games I'd play expecting to stop after an hour... only to realize later I've sunk an entire evening into it...

Thanks!

The following is a mockup of ROLES, something I'm considering to add depth and roleplay without much effort. You'd assign your painters to roles inside the guild, and these roles would give bonuses. For example, being a mentor would make a painter teach others faster, being a supervisor would make nearby painters tire less, an assistant would help others paint faster and better and so on.

You'd have your apprentices start as cooks and servants, then move up to better positions within the guild. I think it could be interesting. The system is inspired by the council in Crusader Kings II and the titles you can give in Medieval: Total War.

It also lets me do something with Grandmaster, which is something I really want in the game. Because choosing your greatest painter to lead your guild is just fun.

Edit: if I end up doing this, I might as well give painters and "inventory" and add these roles/titles into their inventory, so you can assign them by dragging and dropping like furniture.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:17:16 PM by AD1337 » Logged

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: February 22, 2015, 03:38:36 PM »

Tried doing an idle effect to call the player's attention towards idle painters. I don't like it very much, maybe a "hey!" dialogue balloon might be better.

I liked the "..." in theory though.

kikai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 22, 2015, 04:54:03 PM »

The game has progressed so much since the last time I checked. It looks so amazing, that art style \m/
Keep going, sir!

Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #743 on: February 23, 2015, 11:21:19 AM »

Tried doing an idle effect to call the player's attention towards idle painters. I don't like it very much, maybe a "hey!" dialogue balloon might be better.

I liked the "..." in theory though.

Some ZzZzZz maybe?
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #744 on: February 23, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »

The game has progressed so much since the last time I checked. It looks so amazing, that art style \m/
Keep going, sir!

Thank you, skyarmor!  Grin

Some ZzZzZz maybe?

I already use that for when they're tired!

I think I'm fine with the "..." now, though. Changed the colors to match the ZzZ.

Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: February 24, 2015, 06:12:41 AM »

Forgot about that. Cry

I think I like the "..." more, now.
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: February 24, 2015, 04:51:56 PM »

New cities in the game, finally!

I'm getting some WEIRD bugs though, hope I can sort this out. Sad

Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #747 on: February 25, 2015, 01:57:29 AM »

Good lord there are so many awesome looking games being made right now. This looks like an even sharper version of game dev story. I love it!

Oh god make it stop.
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 25, 2015, 06:45:01 AM »

New cities in the game, finally!

I'm getting some WEIRD bugs though, hope I can sort this out. Sad

New cities look great. What kind of bugs you hitting?

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: February 25, 2015, 12:23:16 PM »

Working on some lights/chandeliers. I have been generally against gradients like the glow here in the game, but I think it will look fine in this case. Like flickering candle light.

Good lord there are so many awesome looking games being made right now. This looks like an even sharper version of game dev story. I love it!

Thank you, TobyHefflin! Yup, I was playing a lot of Game Dev Story when I started this project, but it takes a very different path. The biggest similarity is the "production" icon coming upwards out of your employee's head. The similarities kinda stop there.

New cities look great. What kind of bugs you hitting?

Thanks! It seems to be fine now.  Smiley

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: February 27, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »

An astrologer based on Marsilio Ficino and others.

Astrology was big during the Renaissance. I think I'll have this guy visit the guild every few years, and you can pay him to read the omens. You might get a cool bonus or a nerf!

I've been reading about the Renaissance to add cool stuff to the game. Two guys that the game can't do without are Savonarola and Giordano Bruno.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: March 01, 2015, 02:23:09 PM »

Savonarola and Giordano Bruno!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: March 02, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »

Started implementing the chandeliers. Need to add candles and light.

Some random artist!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: March 03, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »

candles and glows and stuff

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: March 04, 2015, 03:44:04 PM »

Got around to adding columns under the left side of the guild. I think it looks decent?

Will probably have to do at least color variation for the columns depending on the city so they match the background.

Made various other small progresses today, but nothing worth screenshotting.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: March 05, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »

Guys, I need some ideas!

What do you think would be cool traits for artists?

Right now I only have the following:

Slothful: tires 50% more
Lazy: tires 30% more
Active: tires 30% less
Diligent: tires 50% less
Muralist: Great Work Skill x2

And the following ideas not yet implemented:

Religious: +50% effect of praying
Pagan: ?
Greedy: demands 2x pay
Rebellious: 2x trouble events
Lustful: ?
Alla Prima: +5 Speed
Prestezza: +10 Speed
Imprimatura: +5 Skill first half of painting
Underpainter: +10 Skill first half of painting
Overpainter: +10 Skill second half of painting
Fingerpainter: +5 Skill, -1 Health
Disciplined: Learns 50% faster
Versatile: Changes style 50% faster
Impasto: +5 Skill, -5 Speed
Ecletic: paints in random styles

Suggestions welcome!

Edit: also, more people that need at least events in the game are Machiavelli, Copernicus and Galileo.

Edit 2: there could be a Violent trait that makes the artist hit nearby artists sometimes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:30:53 PM by AD1337 » Logged

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 05, 2015, 01:49:08 PM »

I see "Pagan" as being an artist who pushes the boundaries of decency. In a simpler form, they'd be simpler to the Eclectic painter in that it would be an unusual or non-traditional style.

I think it would be fun for the negative traits such as "Rebellious" to tie into the most sought after traits. So a Diligent/Muralist or great artist would be more likely to be greedy and rebellious. Historically, some of the greatest artists of all time were some of the most difficult to work with. The Vatican put up with a lot from Michelangelo to get the Sistine chapel... It would make sense that the most talented members of your Guild would be some of the most challenging to work with. Artists are artists.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #757 on: March 10, 2015, 12:35:03 PM »

Fixed bunch of bugs today. Been working on more painting diversity, but I'll post them all when I have more of them.

Also did a style effect for paintings which brightens or darkens them depending on the artist's style.

I see "Pagan" as being an artist who pushes the boundaries of decency. In a simpler form, they'd be simpler to the Eclectic painter in that it would be an unusual or non-traditional style.

I think it would be fun for the negative traits such as "Rebellious" to tie into the most sought after traits. So a Diligent/Muralist or great artist would be more likely to be greedy and rebellious. Historically, some of the greatest artists of all time were some of the most difficult to work with. The Vatican put up with a lot from Michelangelo to get the Sistine chapel... It would make sense that the most talented members of your Guild would be some of the most challenging to work with. Artists are artists.

Thanks, oldblood. I like your idea of artists having a good traint and a bad trait. But due to UI limitations, they currently only get 1 trait.

I'm working on that limitation now. I think it will allow artists to have 2 traits and also look cleaner. And it will allow me to do some tooltips!

Edit: just so I remember, the anti-traits for Alla Prima/Prestezza should be Procrastinator/Slow.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: March 11, 2015, 11:49:55 AM »

It's a small thing, but I think having 2 traits gives painters a lot more personality!  Smiley

A disciplined but stubborn apprentice? A slow muralist? A religious rebel?

The result of the mix of 2 traits in the player's imagination is pretty interesting.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #759 on: March 16, 2015, 12:40:10 PM »

Tooltips!

Is this tooltip text too great of a pixel size crime? I know there are people who get really annoyed by different pixel sizes, but I personally don't mind as long as it's not all over the place. This size is much better to be able to fit more text, which tooltips require.

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic