Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:46:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeToo Many Metroidvania's?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Too Many Metroidvania's?  (Read 12461 times)
premonster
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2013, 06:17:40 PM »

there are far more indie puzzle platformers than indie metroidvanias for example

True.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2013, 06:57:19 PM »

And then this is a genre that is slowly strengthening itself, the genre that reverse gameplay and "cutscene" where you wish gameplay where skipable. BY cutscene I mean all story delivery tactics (trigger, ambiant banter, cinematics, ambiant gameplay, etc...).

Bingo! That's a term I like. I've always thought about that. Some games where gameplay is not that great or is extremely derivative, but you still want to finish them due to being immersed in the world/story so much. Reverse gameplay.

Kinda makes you want to watch a movie instead of playing a game.

Gimym, is this term yours or is there more information on the web about it?
Ha!
No it's not a thing, it's a common sentiment some people are feeling, some dev are chasing that and some theorize about it quite greatly like the dev who make amnesia. You can seek critique about bioshock infinite to see some of these thought or you can start here: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/ThomasGrip/20130705/195665/The_Last_of_Us_Story_Layers_and_A_Brief_History_of_Action_Games.php

@ON TOPIC
Who have play voodoo vince? I heard it's a good game! however this is what happen at market saturation, there is much 3D platformers these days and one a good one is out nobody cares, nor want to play, I have no drive to play voodoo vince, I'll rather replay Mario64.

While I was interested in mario galaxy I have no drive to play galaxy2. I'm also starting to drop zelda after repeated misfire and It's been a long time I haven't seriously consider buying FPS again (and goes back to replay golden eye) I have drop JRPG but pick up xenoblade.

CVaseTYb!!
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »

theory krew has determined that we actually have too many video games
Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2013, 07:07:17 PM »

We certainly have enough games already released to play continuously till we die and we still wouldn't play even 1% lol.

But we still crave more.

For we are gamers.

Game on!

@Gimym: It looks like you have the same problem I had with the Zeldas, that you dropped them because you kinda feel you've played them all already.
Also, you said there are a lot of 3D platformers. Aside from the big series (Ratchet and Clank, Mario, for example), where are the rest? I don't think I've seen that many.

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
ink.inc
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »

needs more persona-likes
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2013, 07:21:03 PM »

jrpgs have that effect
like ff9
i could not give a shit about the battling. there was some interest in that i have the ability to choose where to explore, but i probably would have been fine if it was just a movie.

play hydlide 2
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2013, 07:37:10 PM »

Also, you said there are a lot of 3D platformers. Aside from the big series (Ratchet and Clank, Mario, for example), where are the rest? I don't think I've seen that many.

3D platformer are hard to do and the formula became rot quickly, but the 64/PSX era is full of them, that and it's one of the genre that has been absorbed by any games with 3D navigation, and you don't play them for the inane platforming they have.

Recent 3D indie platformer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQkHooAadU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgrkoViYdks

It's still made but hardly noticeable

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=3D%20platformer%20indie&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:46:27 PM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

Oskuro
Level 3

Coding in Style

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:37 AM »

We certainly have enough games already released to play continuously till we die and we still wouldn't play even 1% lol.

You could say that about books or movies. The point is not quantity, but quality. Not as in "good or bad", but as in "It interests me or it doesn't".

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2013, 11:40:15 AM »

Kinda makes you want to watch a movie instead of playing a game.

Shocked
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »

needs more persona-likes
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »

jrpgs have that effect
like ff9
i could not give a shit about the battling. there was some interest in that i have the ability to choose where to explore, but i probably would have been fine if it was just a movie.

I do just that, I "play" a lot of those game as youtube video, I certainly did FFXIII and even that way it wasn't that enjoyable

Squidly
Level 1

You See Here a Profile

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2013, 08:37:17 PM »

You can't say that at all. If 1 person doesn't buy an indie metroidvania b/c he "just played one like that," that is a signal of saturation. The existence of this thread indicates 1 such person exists.

You can tell a bad joke once, get a laugh, and be out of runway. Tell it again and you'll be annoying. Everything saturates. Either find a new audience or a new joke.

If you are an indie trying to make it it is important to understand what people want and what they are tired of. Even if you're going for free you want people to play.

Let me clarify that I personally don't think/know that/if Metroidvania's have been oversaturated. I think it's a question, and as I'm currently making a Metroidvania, I was wondering what people thought about it. As far as Kickstarter goes, it's hard to walk five steps before tripping over one of three terms: Roguelike, RPG, and Metroidvania (bonus points for Cthulhu.)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2013, 09:14:48 PM »

metroidvanias are not oversaturated. if they were easier to make they might be, but there are inherent design challenges that make them more complex - related to world-structuring, pacing, etc.

I've seen a lot of MVs started but not a lot of them finished.

play hydlide 2
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2013, 11:29:36 PM »

this thread tells me that I need to get working on a metroidvania because it turns out there is a shortage!

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 13, 2013, 05:55:21 AM »

yeah, that's my impression. Smiley

I do just that, I "play" a lot of those game as youtube video, I certainly did FFXIII and even that way it wasn't that enjoyable

I 'played' ff10 on youtube with japanese voices. the story was so much better, I was actually absorbed in the world, and I literally played that game twice before: first time I understood what was going on
ink.inc
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2013, 07:19:48 AM »

ffx has the best plot of all ffs (oops)
UNiCOMICS
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2013, 08:26:28 AM »

ffx has the best plot of all ffs (oops)

I kinda agree but I think FF6 has the best plot with ff10 coming a close second
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2013, 09:08:32 AM »

this thread tells me that I need to get working on a metroidvania because it turns out there is a shortage!

just make sure you finish it Smiley

play hydlide 2
aberrantmind
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »

http://www.desura.com/games/operation-smash

speaking of Metroidvanias! this one just came out, anyone ever check it yet? thinking of picking it up

Keops
Level 6

Pixellin' and Gamedev'n

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2013, 02:44:48 AM »

Talking bout Metroidvanias. I found this

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/523651724/legend-of-iya?ref=category.

Did a search of the boards and didnt find any relevant posts so I decided to share. What do you guys think?

Hearthstead: Hand Point Right Website - Twitter Hand Point Left

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS! Behance portfolio
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic