Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411856 Posts in 69423 Topics- by 58467 Members - Latest Member: joelmendonca

June 03, 2024, 03:03:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCATDAMMIT! Arcade Cartoon Game [PLAYABLE]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: CATDAMMIT! Arcade Cartoon Game [PLAYABLE]  (Read 4018 times)
ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 07:10:40 AM »

I honestly keep revisiting this topic hoping to see the long awaited link and words that would read - it is out, click here to play ) still super exited Smiley

I have been doing interaction design for the last decade, designed Shapist puzzle and working on TALLNUM & KoriKori now... follow me on Twitter . Space cowboy, father of two lemons
ArturHilger
Level 0

now what?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 07:21:42 AM »

It's out! I was going to make a new topic but... oh well!

Here is the Launch Trailer:

And here's the game: http://catdammit.firflams.com

Have a nice play!

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 07:56:36 AM »

This is crazy and pretty good, the city setup reminds me of de blob, maybe you'll eventually expand it into a full game with lots of levels like that. Sorry to say the site I work with isn't interested (too mainstream for us but oh well) but I posted about it on my blog that nobody visits and their forums. Keep it up you two!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:18:07 AM by Games Inquirer » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
ArturHilger
Level 0

now what?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 01:42:47 AM »

yeah, I guess the sequel would be a good idea - it depends on the popular demand though Smiley

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 01:52:40 AM by ArturHilger » Logged

ori
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 04:34:51 AM »

I gave it quite some time, played last night and now again, and here is my opinion:
amazingly lovely visual design.
great style, interactivity, you can jump on roofs, explode cars etc - all this couldn't be better.
game design at the same time is fairly broken, overheating chainsaw is badly balanced - you miss all the great city view rushing for water, but the lack of balanced pace is not the biggest issue, I find the whole motivation of cooling down the saw with water as a one of the main mechanics being wrong.
And then there is a bad camera...

I have been doing interaction design for the last decade, designed Shapist puzzle and working on TALLNUM & KoriKori now... follow me on Twitter . Space cowboy, father of two lemons
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 10:42:15 PM »

I gave it quite some time, played last night and now again, and here is my opinion:
amazingly lovely visual design.
great style, interactivity, you can jump on roofs, explode cars etc - all this couldn't be better.
game design at the same time is fairly broken, overheating chainsaw is badly balanced - you miss all the great city view rushing for water, but the lack of balanced pace is not the biggest issue, I find the whole motivation of cooling down the saw with water as a one of the main mechanics being wrong.
And then there is a bad camera...

I agree with you.
The shaky camera plus the scarce water make it really frustrating trying to look for water.
You spend most of the time figuring out where is the next water stash instead of enjoying chainsawing everything.

Master of all trades.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 12:56:41 AM »

Will try this out later.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 01:45:10 AM »

I agree with you.
The shaky camera plus the scarce water make it really frustrating trying to look for water.
You spend most of the time figuring out where is the next water stash instead of enjoying chainsawing everything.
Maybe the first couple of times someone plays... But as it's a very short high score based arcade game a player soon knows where all the water and items are and attempts to optimize a path and go on for long enough to destroy as much as possible. Without the overheating mechanic what would stop anyone from endlessly and aimlessly wandering until there's nothing left to destroy? Without limited time there's just no real game to speak of. Granted, nobody is forced to like a game, one might wish for this to turn into a Cat Theft Auto sandbox of fun instead, or anything else, but that would require a lot more than just getting rid of the overheating. Doing just that as suggested would certainly make for broken game design.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 02:00:36 AM by Games Inquirer » Logged

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
ArturHilger
Level 0

now what?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2013, 04:34:05 AM »

Thank You, guys for all the suggestions! I understand that it might be frustrating, but I think it's in the retro spirit to play a lot to master the game. I am annoyed by the lack of challenge in most of the new games, so we were aiming for the opposite.

The idea (just as @Games Inquirer pointed out) is to "learn" where the Power-Ups are, to plan the destruction and the highest scores. Once You do - it's easy to admire vistas, @ori and not look for water bubbles like crazy. It wasn't supposed to be a casual game, but arcade Smiley There are players who already collected almost 10k points so I guess the game mechanic works as planned Smiley  We've got only one city - we couldn't let the player finish level casually on the first run Smiley

Either way - I'm collecting all suggestions and hopefully our second game will please more of you Smiley

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 08:06:31 AM »

This isn't really much of a challenging action game, it's more like a frustrating memory game.
It's easy to make a game hard but it's not easy to make a game challenging.
Also how am I suppose to read what the characters say with the shaky camera and practicaly time limit?

Master of all trades.
ArturHilger
Level 0

now what?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 09:13:29 AM »

I'm sorry, Ofer that You got so easily frustrated with our game. Most of the players enjoy the challenge and don't have the problem with memorizing 4 water stashes after the first two runs... Also - they don't get nauseous. Maybe it's not the kind of game for old guys? Smiley

And You know, it's easy to say:

It's easy to make a game hard but it's not easy to make a game challenging.

but empty quotes like that doesn't mean much. This is our first game and I know there is a lot of place for improvement. But we are looking for meaningful tips from people who actually know how to make a good and challenging game. Not just opinions. Got any?

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 09:29:23 AM »

lol, whatever...

Edit: My comments to you are as polite as they get, I hope you have a tough enough skin to face comments from people who really want to make you feel bad.

Master of all trades.
ArturHilger
Level 0

now what?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »

Are You mad about the 'old guys"? I'm almost Your age so... Smiley

Trust me. I've got experience in industry much more harsh than video games Smiley I don't care about those trying to be offensive - I've picked up a discussion with You because I've felt You actually wanted to help, but really didn't.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:58 AM »

You didn't pick up a discussion with me, you told me you only want feedback from people who know how to design games and I am not one of them.
Edit: Anyway, not worth my time here.

Master of all trades.
ArturHilger
Level 0

now what?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 10:53:40 AM »

So guys,

Do You have an idea how to make CATDAMMIT! more 'balanced' but not exactly 'easier'? Maybe I should place some single bubbles along the straight road to th X spot. And also decrease the amount of bubbles in some stashes? Is the chainsaw really overheating too fast?

Maybe chainsaw gets too hot, but Kitty could get hotter and nobody should complain:)

P.S. Sorry, Ofer - I'm sure You've already unsubscribed this topic, due to it being 'worthless' of Your attention but I wanted to thank You for sharing Your opinion. I really value it, though I considered it malicious, actually Smiley

Murzy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »

I have to agree on those points already made before. Some of the lines the characters say are not long enough on the screen / hard to read due to the shaky camera / player rushing forwards due to the time limit and go to waste. It's a nice game but it gets boring quite fast. Also it seemed a bit odd that you couldn't restart the round (activate the retry button) by keyboard in a keyboard controlled game.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic