Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:37:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Heart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]  (Read 88593 times)
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2013, 03:09:49 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (3 of hopefully many):

Finished the boots:

You can see a video

I'm going to take a break and start on a new bodypart this afternoon. We'll see how long that takes...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (4 of hopefully many):

Well, that went well. I give you the Clockwork Carronade:

Not that in that picture the clockwork lens and the sticky boots are also equipped.

The behavior is fun:

is the non-upgraded version.
And

is the upgraded one.

Not only the number of cannonballs differs. The upgraded version has less load time, less recoil, more damage and a straighter trajectory.

The carronade also locks onto enemies when shooting (provided you are looking somewhat in their direction), making it easier to hit stuff. Oh, and the explosions damage you.

All in all a very complex item and one I'm happy to have done in an afternoon (well, but for the HUD textures, but that should not take too long).

The only problem with it it's how it's triggered. It's a two button input (right now hard attack + evade), which means there might be single button inputs that trigger if your timing is not perfect (for example, you can do a hard attack or an evade if the game doesn't register both inputs simultaneously). That means you need to combo the carronade into another state for reliably triggering it. That's why in the video I'm using the fall recovery to trigger it. It can also easily be done with an evade or most light attacks.

However. I will probably have to tweak the inputs as to allow for easier control. We'll see. This is one that needs clearly explained inputs (for the most part, I'm keeping functionality of some parts obscure in-game, to allow for discovery of mechanics).

If anybody has any advise on it, it would be welcome.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2013, 03:22:53 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (5 of 6):

This morning I finished polishing up the carronade and did this:

It's a very simple item, just an Xp multiplier, but getting it raises your xp value (and thus, once the game is properly balanced, spawns way harder enemies). It's also very expensive to upgrade.

Eventually I want to do a 1% set, which will give you more power the more xp you have accumulated (so it encourages hoarding instead of spending).

This afternoon I will try to prepare the game for a playable, tweaking the level generator values to try to spawn more bodyparts and thus making the experience more varied (enemies will be underpowered, though, but that's fine until I get to the AI rewrite and implement extra enemies. I want to have the content against which to balance enemies in place first).

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (6 of 6):

NEW VERSION UP!

Check the first post in this thread or the playtesting forum.

Now mouse input is possible. Plus three more bodyparts that can spawn (Sticky boots, 1% suit and Carronade). And the Italian boots in the last version probably didn't get enough playtime yet Tongue.

Moreover, the level generator should no be kinder to generating bigger levels with more pickups, so as to make it easier for you guys to test it all...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »

Weekly Progress update (1 of 2):

Today I did two more parts to complete the 1% set:

These parts use the accumulated XP to give you boosts to speed and damage. The dollar notes falling around Heart are the "set effect". A visual reminder that you have the full 1% set equipped...

Please note that now I have access to Unity Pro. I have been playing around with some image effects (using color correction, depth of field and outlines) to try to hone down the final look of the game. Part of the process will be to rewrite the effects (for performance) and to create a single, unified shader for Heart and the enemies so that all planned effects can be implemented.

But since I'm new to graphics programming, I'll go on about this as I keep finishing new bodyparts...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2013, 03:37:05 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (1.5 of 2):

So I got another part done, the Spring Legs. Video

In that video you can also see something that will more closely resemble the final look of the game.

This afternoon, I want to implement some clockwork arms to finish the clockwork set (to which the spring legs belong) and to bring the remaining bodyparts to do to just 4. Those should be done next week, and then I will start on finishing the weapons for alpha....

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2013, 11:09:50 AM »

Wrote a preview of the game:
http://indiegameenthusiast.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-watchlist-heart-slash.html

Game is awesome, can't wait for the finished product

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »

Thanks for the review, man! I love hearing what people have to say about this... (it's my first game, so I'm full of doubts...)

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2013, 01:48:53 PM »

Thanks for the review, man! I love hearing what people have to say about this... (it's my first game, so I'm full of doubts...)
For a first game, it's awesome so far! The controls are smooth and the amount of customization is already excellent. Are you planning on putting H&S on Greenlight? Have you sent the demo to other sites like IndieStatik or RPS? You already have a (very) playable pre-alpha demo to show off

Either way, this project is off to a great start

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2013, 01:50:44 PM »

Weekly Progress Update (2 of 2):

So I finished the new bodypart, the clockwork arms. This part slows time as the player remains still, but puts it back into full swing the moment you move or attack.

It's great to slow the tempo of fast moving enemies, and I think it has potential to generate interesting dynamics.

Here is a

of it in action. Couldn't get a fast enemy to spawn, though (it's late here and I need to go to bed...  Embarrassed).

This brings the list of bodyparts to implement for alpha down to 4, which will be done no mater what next week.

Also, I won't post a playable today, as to not spam the playtesting forum (and to give me some time to polish the new visuals...)

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »

For a first game, it's awesome so far! The controls are smooth and the amount of customization is already excellent. Are you planning on putting H&S on Greenlight? Have you sent the demo to other sites like IndieStatik or RPS? You already have a (very) playable pre-alpha demo to show off

Nah, haven't done any PR so far. I will do Greenlight, or at least I was planning to. Would you recommend doing it this early??? I have my hands full with development at the moment, and originally I wanted to wait until it's a little more polished before showing this.

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »

Nah, haven't done any PR so far. I will do Greenlight, or at least I was planning to. Would you recommend doing it this early??? I have my hands full with development at the moment, and originally I wanted to wait until it's a little more polished before showing this.

I was just asking. You should stick with whatever schedule you feel comfortable with.

Edit: just noticed on your Twitter...were you a student at Digipen? I consider the students there like the future of indie gaming. They're produced so much amazing work, from Nitronic Rush to Perspective and TAG

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2013, 03:03:25 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (1 if ?):

So another part done. The hip glasses:

They don't do much, but they make you (and the world) look cool. Basically it changes the color correction to something instagramy...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2013, 03:05:00 AM »

Edit: just noticed on your Twitter...were you a student at Digipen? I consider the students there like the future of indie gaming. They're produced so much amazing work, from Nitronic Rush to Perspective and TAG

No. I am a teacher there (at the Bilbao campus). And I agree the students there are amazing, specially compared to many other schools I know of... Beer!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:23 AM »

No. I am a teacher there (at the Bilbao campus). And I agree the students there are amazing, specially compared to many other schools I know of... Beer!
Oh, cool. Guess the students are going to have some competition! I'm currently in college myself, majoring in psychology, but I'm a game dev at heart. Game development is something I want to attempt one day so following these Devlogs are the next best thing

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »

Weekly Project Update (2 of ?):

Ok new part done (almost finished it yesterday, but had some bugs I had to finish this morning).

This is the Rocket-Cam. It's a head that allows for camera locking onto enemies (which is a feature many asked for).

You can watch a video of it

Now, this leaves two more parts to implement for alpha until I switch to weapons. I might get both done today, but I can't promise anything (it's going to be tight).

I'm also about to get some preliminary sounds in there for the game, so I will postpone the next playable a week or two so at least basic audio combat feedback is there. This will give me time to finish the audio and video menus too, bringing the game some more stability and usability.

Furthermore, once the sound is in place I will start to look into commission some cool music (I have somebody I like lined up). Once some sound and music is there I will start to get a solid idea of the basic game feel...

After that I guess it's going to be two weeks for weapons and two-three weeks for enemies. And then a bunch of level design work...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »

Weekly Project Update (3 of ?):

Ok, so another part done. The Time-Continuum Collapser.

Video

What you are seeing is a replacement for the double jump that teleports you instantly to the ground. You lose air control, but gain a new quick air evade. On level 0, it makes you go into fall recovery, thus being vulnerable for a second. That goes out on level 1. On level 2 you can teleport nearby enemies in the air around you, which is *GOOD* for continuing combos from the air to the ground (if you hit them in the air, teleport, and continue hitting, you could theoretically -balance pending- have an infinite combo against interruptible enemies). At level 3, the range you affect enemies in widens.

So it's a pretty complex piece overall, and that's why it's taken more time than usual. I'm still not fully satisfied with the effects, but I've filed that into the "maybe improve later" pile.

Now, I have a body left to do so I can finish all bodyparts for the alpha, and although I might have time to get it done today, I don't know what I want to implement yet, which is bothersome, because it might mean not getting it done today. I now have to go through my design notes and see if there's an interesting idea for a body that I filed some time ago...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2013, 11:26:50 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (4 of 4):

So I got it done... I was feeling really exhausted and more than a little silly, so...

It's not entirely useless, but neither is it super-useful. If basically makes close enemies "bounce" when you are hit (relieving a little bit the pressure, so it can work as a last ditch crowd control effort, or maybe -if you are lucky- sending them down a bottomless pit..).

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 29, 2013, 05:04:58 AM »

Daily Progress Update (1 of ?):

Spent the last day and a half implementing the audio and video menu, along with video presets and confirmation to try to avoid invalid configurations.

I did a small video here:

Now I want to port these menus into the start screen (which should be super easy) and add an exit game button so that the game can be fully configured without Unity's start menu (which I dislike).

As soon as I get some preliminary audio I will release a new playable so people can test performance and bugs with the new look (and the new bodyparts!)...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2013, 08:53:21 AM »

Weekly Progress Update (1 of ?):

Yesterday and today were very productive days. It took a while, but I have finally implemented a new weapon type.

Behold, for now Heart has a gun!

Clik on the image for video

This was quite the endeavor, since the whole system had to be created from scratch (shooting, targetting, ammo and reload). It does work quite well, and it opens the door for implementing the rest of the gun variations this week (Monday and Tuesday should be more than enough).

Right now I'm thinking about implementing: a sho(r)tgun (no targetting and short range, but powerful); a laser (with a moving physical shot -this is hitscan right now- and an over the shoulder camera (thus requiring precise manual targeting)); a fast but weak handgun; and the duealist gun (a one hit instakill weapon, that comes with no ammo and reloads only bylevelling it up -thus expensive and limited to three shots per game-. I want this to also trigger a cutscene if you hit).

Comments welcome...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic