Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:12:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHeart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print
Author Topic: Heart&Slash - [RELEASED ON XBOXONE AND PS4]  (Read 88124 times)
Mnemonic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 12:58:19 AM »

Looks really fun to play! really like characters' design

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 01:35:13 AM »

Looks really fun to play! really like characters' design

Thanks! It's still very WIP, but basic gameplay is getting there.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 01:43:14 AM »

Daily Progress Update (1 of 2):

It's been an easy morning. Couple bugs squashed (very minor ones, but some of them were annoying me) and finished implementing the first weapon (Katana) level-up behavior. It's been a while since I've dealt with the moment to moment gameplay behavior (it's where most work will happen, but had spent the last 3-4 weeks finishing architectural systems) and I was rusty. I coded two workaround to some problems only to realize I actually implemented ways to solve those within the system itself. Thankfully I realized and I fixed it, making the code way cleaner.

A lot of my current bug list deals with visuals not being up to par (mainly particle systems missing). Those I find boring so I don't know when I will tackle them.

TO DO:
Today I will keep implementing the level-up behavior for several parts. I'm choosing them as I see fit, but right now it seems next up are the shields (there's only one now, but if I finish it, I'll do variations -which are easy-).

The only item that it's not trivial to implement is the "lens". It requires drawing into the HUD (not a problem) but I want it's level up behavior to reveal secret rooms (and secret rooms are not implemented, nor are boss rooms).

I'm not posting any image today, but I will later show videos of anything I complete today.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 06:36:50 AM »

Daily Progress Update (1.5 of 2):

Finished the different level behavior for the Spectralizer (time-space analyzer that confers the character a Bayonetta-like evade&timestop move). Levels 1 to 4 give different backflip lengths and timestop durations. If the item is at max level (4), it also confers a boost to the damage the player outputs while the time is stopped.

Here is a video of a max-level spectralizer in action:

There's a little bug that I fixed as the video was uploading. When enemies die they now stop being affected by the slowtime...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »

Daily Progress Update (2 of 2):

This took a little longer than I'd liked, but not too much.

I implemented the different levels behavior for the Trashcan Lid (The most basic of shields). It was slightly more complex than other behaviors I did due to the new lock-On mechanic (unlocked at level 2 in the TrashcanLid, earlier in better shields).

Now I can spend a couple hours in the weekend (I tend not to work too much Saturdays and Sundays) to implement new shields building on the already working code.

As usual, I have a video of the shield working. Notice different mechanics when we upgrade from level 0 to level 2 (There´s also a change in speed and in "stability" or resistance to attacks, but that´s hidden and not noticeable here):

As usual, I did some finishing work as the video was being uploaded, substituting the indicator for a more "in style" one.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:09:13 PM by Juan Raigada » Logged

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 10:50:21 AM »

As with everyone else, the graphics are very nice. I think you've got a nice style without being too cliche. The art style alone makes me want to pick it up and play around with it.

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »

As with everyone else, the graphics are very nice. I think you've got a nice style without being too cliche. The art style alone makes me want to pick it up and play around with it.

Thanks, I hope you guys also like the gameplay when I release the alpha! It's still some way off...

Hopefully in August. I want to have a full level implemented (without all the content, though...)

I'm sort of worried about sysreqs. The logic I can manage once I upgrade to Unity Pro (if I find money or save a little) and get access to its profiler. But the models might need to be tweaked to use way less triangles (not that hard to do, actually, but it's quite some time to do it)...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:06:55 PM by Juan Raigada » Logged

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 12:29:55 PM »

If you feel like walking through i if the graphics are still bothering you, then you could post some specs of the game. I think I'd be able to say if it'd run okay on my system, for example (it probably will - my graphics card is pretty capable). What's the neighborhood of:

- Triangle count per room element
- Element count per room

- Triangle count per custom part
- Part count per character

?

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »

If you feel like walking through i if the graphics are still bothering you, then you could post some specs of the game. I think I'd be able to say if it'd run okay on my system, for example (it probably will - my graphics card is pretty capable). What's the neighborhood of:

- Triangle count per room element
- Element count per room

- Triangle count per custom part
- Part count per character

?

First, thanks for helping! I'm not a technical programmer, just a fast learner...

Well, it's hard to give estimates (I will try when I get some time. It's late here in Spain) but basically I'm looking at peaks of 1.6 million vertices with an average of 800k (but occasional constant loads of around 1.2million). My system runs it like butter (in editor) but I have a very beefy GPU...

Drawcalls hover around 300-400, but I'm confident 100 of those are GUI code that I have yet to consolidate in a single drawcall...

Basically, I have no idea what those numbers mean...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:08:12 PM by Juan Raigada » Logged

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 03:04:14 AM »

Weekend Progress Update (1 of ?):

I got a couple of hours of work this morning. I used them to implement a new shield variation: the Wooden Planks!

They are way bigger than the Trashcan Lid, and it has lock-on mechanics from level 0, but you move much slower with them and the shield is more resistant to hit (meaning it's easier to get stunned when blocking a hit).

And notice those nails. At level 3 (max) the Planks will do physical damage to any enemy they block.

If I find time I will implement a more standard shield later today...

All the graphics and functionality was done in around 90 mins, which bodes well for the next weeks (which will be mainly implementing content)...

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 12:16:08 PM »

Weekend Progress Update (2 of ?):

So I found 30 minutes after watching the new Star Trek (just released here) and I implemented another shield. This time is a more basic variation (no extra functionality), but way sturdier than the Trashcan Lid (although a bit slower and thus harder to parry with. Basically is a late game shield option in case somebody wants it for they play style.

As usual, here you have a photo of the Riot Shield:

With this, pending some balance things, shields are done. I want to add two more later (I want 5 variations of each weapon behavior) but not for alpha.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 10:22:02 PM »

First, thanks for helping! I'm not a technical programmer, just a fast learner...

Well, it's hard to give estimates (I will try when I get some time. It's late here in Spain) but basically I'm looking at peaks of 1.6 million vertices with an average of 800k (but occasional constant loads of around 1.2million). My system runs it like butter (in editor) but I have a very beefy GPU...

Drawcalls hover around 300-400, but I'm confident 100 of those are GUI code that I have yet to consolidate in a single drawcall...

Basically, I have no idea what those numbers mean...

Well, it sounds like you've got most of the vertices and faces are spread across a relatively low number of objects. GPUs can draw lots of faces (like in the milliions) easily, but switching between draw batches (i.e. drawing separate objects) can be costly.

In other words, try to batch together as many objects / model together as many faces as possible. I believe Unity can batch draw calls of objects together, though that takes away the interactivity of the objects, if I recall.

In any case, I'd think my GPU (a somewhat recent one that costed about $100 from around 2010 or so) should be able to handle your game alright.

Cool shields, by the way!

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »

In any case, I'd think my GPU (a somewhat recent one that costed about $100 from around 2010 or so) should be able to handle your game alright.

Yeah, as I said, I'm pretty sure the game can be optimized, it's just a question of how many systems I need to code for that and how much art I will need to redo.

Hopefully when I release the playable the numbers will become clearer.

Thanks for answering! I'll try to get something ready for playtesting soon...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:13:43 AM by Juan Raigada » Logged

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2013, 02:18:32 AM »

Weekend Progress Update (3 of ?):

Just a quick fix for lasers. Up until now they had Capsule Colliders which size and position was updated frame by frame. This was:

1-Non-optimal.
2-Messing with Unity's physics code and throwing strange collision bugs here and there.

So I rewrote the code to use a simple raycast per Physics update. Cleaner and faster. As a caveat, lasers do no longer have "volume". But at the size they are now, that shouldn't be a problem (and can even e desirable, since it implements "player friendly"collision detection.

As per this post image, the first public pic of the lasers in action (the particle effect might be a little too much, I know).

Probably will rest for the day, but we'll see...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:04:48 AM by Juan Raigada » Logged

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2013, 07:35:23 AM »

Daily Progress Update (1 of 2):

I give you the ROCKET PACK (today I implemented it's level-up behavior and fixed some bugs):

Apart from the ROCKET PACK, today's been a slow day. However, the know-bugs list in dwindling at an acceptable pace. Currently I have 3 visual features to improve/implement, 3 bugs (none of them seems too complex, and 2 more items to implement their level up behavior. One of these items, however, would require for the secret room framework to be completed first.

Like now, it look like I can finish all this this week (hopefully by Wednesday) and then I can start implementing some more content (for Alpha, I'm missing 1 weapon with it's three variations, one head, three arms, two bodies, and two legs. On top of that 2 new enemies with at least 3 variations each, and 2 more rooms -with three variations each-). That would give us a content incomplete first level.

Which brings us to the plans for the future.

CONTENT PLANS:

Current content plans for the finished game are (on a per-level basis):
5 weapons with 5 variations each
5 heads
5 bodies
5 Legs
5 arms
5 enemies with 5 variations each
10 rooms with 5 variations each

So for Alpha (which I'll hit late August/early September) I'll have full system implementation (except for menus, saving loading and unlock/progression system) and a level with more or less half the planned content for it.

The next few months won't be as intense (since I need to work part-time until I find some funding - if possible at all-) but I hope to finish the first level by December the latest (but plans this far ahead are flaky).

There's a chance I'll fell overwhelmed and redesign the game so that the alpha content becomes the average content per level, but the amount of content above is what I consider ideal.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 11:04:42 AM by Juan Raigada » Logged

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2013, 11:13:05 AM »

Daily Progress Update (2 of 2):

A pretty productive afternoon. Total number of known bugs down to 1.

Also, I implemented some behavior for the Combat Legs. As with this last batch of implementation of different item behavior at different experience levels, the basics were simple, but some small bugs and kinks showed up when testing, and those had to be fixed.

As usual, a video showing the item in question:

Next tomorrow is implementing the Clockwork Lens and the secret rooms that go with its leveled-up behavior. However, some commitments make it impossible to spend all day coding, so most likely I won't be able to finish the task. That will be done Wednesday. After that is new content (and a new job) so the rate of significant updates will slow (but at the same time I will have time to do more technical and design articles explaining the game).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:35:07 PM by Juan Raigada » Logged

karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »

the combat system looks very dynamic  and fun  Beer! I like it!
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »

the combat system looks very dynamic  and fun  Beer! I like it!

I would hope so... Right now that's pretty much the heart of the game (it's a roguelike, all about the combat system and how to subvert it...)

Indie4Fun
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2013, 09:45:03 PM »

Hi Juan! I just watched the videos and looks quite nice! I love the character, i've not seen a robot with a screen as a face many times (only Canti, from FLCL series) and is a really attractive idea for a character.

About the game, is quite fast and smooth, I like that a lot!

Kickstarting Izzy's Revenge right now!!

Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 02:24:15 AM »

Daily Progress Update (1 of 1):

Today I have some commitments, so I will only do this small update.

I implemented the level functionality for the Clockwork Lens. Well most of it, there's still some functionality dependent on non implemented level generation routines, but the logic is now coded into the Clockwork Lens, so once secret rooms, arenas and boss rooms are implemented, they will appear on the minimap.

Minimap you say? Well, the Clockwork lens is a pretty complex piece of equipment.

At the basic level, it allows you to see the remaining enemy health. If you upgrade it, it also shows enemy resistances and weaknesses (the game has three attack types, PHYSICAL, ELECTRICAL and PLASMA):

I know the resistances icons are hard to read. Part of the plan for the afternoon on top of bugfixing is to make better icons.

If you upgrade it more, it also reveals enemies behind walls and other obstacles:

Moreover, the Clockwork Lens level also affects minimap display. Normally the minimap displays the current room, the adjacent rooms, and the rooms already visited:

The second upgrade to the Clockwork lens reveals the whole minimap:

And the third and last one reveals information on pickup spawn points:

This later feature will be extended to also show enemy arenas (rooms which doors close on enter and don't open until you kill all enemies) and the boss room for the level.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic