Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:10:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookDeath Lights Dancing [UPDATED 13/12] [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Death Lights Dancing [UPDATED 13/12] [FINISHED]  (Read 24660 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2008, 02:28:58 AM »

Also, PLEASE, let me play in windowed mode. This + Widescreen laptop = ew.

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2008, 02:33:29 AM »

Also, PLEASE, let me play in windowed mode. This + Widescreen laptop = ew.

Okay, just a minute.  I need to figure out how to keep control of the mouse when it leaves the window.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2008, 02:41:49 AM »

Code:
if (mouse.x < 0)
SDL_WarpMouse (0, mouse.y);

if (mouse.x > 640)
SDL_WarpMouse (640, mouse.y);

if (mouse.y < 0)
SDL_WarpMouse (mouse.x, 0);

if (mouse.y > 480)
SDL_WarpMouse (mouse.x, 480);

Would that work, otherwise?

EDIT: Probably not, seems to generate mousemove events, according to some other website.

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2008, 02:57:39 AM »

Nice idea, unfortunately it doesn't work.  SDL_WM_GrabInput(SDL_GRAB_ON) does the trick though.  I've updated the file with a new version; run the .bat for windowed mode.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2008, 02:59:12 AM »

Perfect, I'll try it when I'm not in class Smiley

(please also fix the lowres cutoff heads. when i added them to your pic, the cutoff was to show that they were in the water.)

brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2008, 04:01:56 AM »

(please also fix the lowres cutoff heads. when i added them to your pic, the cutoff was to show that they were in the water.)

Done, along with a few minor improvements; I've updated the file.  This really makes the heads so much more horrible.
I'm off to bed now, so there'll be no more changes today!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 03:50:47 AM »

Creepy! I haven't gotten past spoiler yet. The rowing works well, although it was not at all intuitive that horizontal movement allowed you to change direction since the sensitivity is so low. Even when I figured it out, it is still difficult to change directions, although I can understand if that's an intentional part of the tension.

genericuser
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2008, 07:15:44 AM »

That was...creepy.

Good job  :D
scytos
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 05:07:51 AM »

That was bizarre, in an interesting way. I managed to finish it after several tries. Changing directions was not very intuitive and hard (lacks sensitivity - I have to move my mouse to one direction about two or three times until I get full turn). It does add tension like Noyb said and I do like that feeling of desperation, but on the other hand it makes the game significantly harder, especially because it's such a critical thing later on.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 05:35:13 AM »

I haven't commented yet! Um, yeah, hard to control, but a truly hideous surprise awaits within.

Also, the Blue Beast? Brilliant! Is it a creature of your own creation, Brog?
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 06:53:15 AM »

Hm, a lot of complaints about the controls.  I've posted a version with slightly higher sensitivity for turning, but since the deadline's past I've left the final before-deadline version as well.  I actually had this sensitivity much higher before, and I kept turning when I didn't mean to; I guess I overcompensated for that.

Updated Version

This is a ridiculously minor change, just changing one constant in the code.  It does reduce the difficulty a bit, but I think that's okay though because it's still quite hard towards the end.
Of course, how it feels is going to depend on what sensitivity you have your mouse at in the first place.  I find it completely unplayable on my laptop touchpad.

Also, the Blue Beast? Brilliant! Is it a creature of your own creation, Brog?

I did indeed create it, it is called Smestorp and it has attained quite a mythology among my friends and my university.  It tends to make an appearance in all of my games, usually as an end boss or similar, though there can be considerable variation in appearance.  The Smestorp Graphic Novel might help to enlighten you, or it might not.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 07:05:39 AM »

I got to the first lighthouse, and then I was like "OHSHITWTFAARGHHAHAHA"

Gentleman

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 09:44:18 AM »

I like the rowing controls.  They're very intuitive, but even with the updated version it's still kind of hard to escape the blue monster.  Is there an invisible boundary that I'm running into at the edge of the world?  Because it seems like I'm rowing frantically but not getting anywhere.

Also, the sound is horribly unbalanced.  The music is very quiet, so I turned the volume way up to hear it.  Then the first time the monster ate me it almost blew out my speakers because it was so loud.

Nice atmosphere though.

tweet tweet @j_younger
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2008, 10:18:36 AM »

Yeah, I'll bitch a bit about how hard it is to get away from Smestorp, too! Also, turning is way hard, maybe the horizontal distance that the mouse has to travel should not be that great?

Enjoyed it otherwise!

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »

The first spoiler was certainly unexpected. After that, though, the difficult controls became too annoying, so I didn't progress much farther.

Fluroarmadillo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »

Wait, you can turn??

I just got stuck with giant baby heads bouncing me everywhere which scared the crap out of me

Most think a Dark Knight quote in a signature is soo cliched; but "Why so Serious?"
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 04:30:12 PM »

Is there an invisible boundary that I'm running into at the edge of the world?  Because it seems like I'm rowing frantically but not getting anywhere.

Yes, there is.  Maybe I need to make that more clear?

Also, the sound is horribly unbalanced.  The music is very quiet, so I turned the volume way up to hear it.  Then the first time the monster ate me it almost blew out my speakers because it was so loud.

Hm, I should have realised something like that might happen.  See, the growling noise that Smestorp makes is divided by the distance between you and it to make it louder as it gets closer.  So when this distance approaches zero, you get a horrible distorted noise.  This was a bug that became a feature - I thought it was good to have the noise when you get eaten.  But I didn't really consider that it might get ridiculously loud on speakers other than mine.  I guess I should fix this.

And about the controls being difficult: I guess what I ought to do is add a control to configure the sensitivity.  I've got it so it's quite comfortable to use with my mouse settings, but of course people are going to have different settings.  (Of course, it's impossible with my laptop touchpad.  Use a mouse.)
Why I didn't do this in the first place is that I wanted movement to require sweeping rowing motions, and if people could turn up the sensitivity as high as they like, they would naturally configure it so that they can move with barely any effort, which would weaken the feel I had intended for the game.

Ok, if I have some time later I'll sort out these issues and post a new version.

I just got stuck with giant baby heads bouncing me everywhere which scared the crap out of me

I'm satisfied with this.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 07:29:38 AM »

Hideous' ugly baby head should be a secret boss in every game.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
brog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »

Ok, if I have some time later I'll sort out these issues and post a new version.

Done.

Changes:
- use mouse scroll wheel to change sensitivity
- sounds should be a bit safer for speakers
- invisible boundaries are no longer invisible
- fiddled a bit with parameters for rowing controls

Probably these make things easier, but if they also make it more playable I guess that's okay.
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2008, 04:49:01 AM »

I did indeed create it, it is called Smestorp and it has attained quite a mythology among my friends and my university.  It tends to make an appearance in all of my games, usually as an end boss or similar, though there can be considerable variation in appearance.  The Smestorp Graphic Novel might help to enlighten you, or it might not.

Wow. Laughed out Loud for real that time. SMESTORP resources ahoy. Draw Your Own Smestorp Here. You should create an Infocational Pamphlet.

Really did you, uh, create that Novel all on your own? Any help? Or hallucinogens? Personally, I feel ill. But it's a good ill.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic