Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411503 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:49:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWe Need to go Deeper - Co-op Submarine Roguelike
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: We Need to go Deeper - Co-op Submarine Roguelike  (Read 34803 times)
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 02:53:13 AM »

Late night GIF update! We decided to start implementing crabs into our caves recently, with some nice results!

Our main man Jordan Farr (Heterogeneous Misogynist) made it so that the crabs will scuttle about until they get close enough, whereupon they will pounce in your direction. He also made it so that they are randomly sized, and their health and speed will reflect the changes. Little crabs are fast and weak, big crabs are slow and strong, etc. And then of course I provided the animations.

More to come soon!
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »

ok, I'm having nightmares tonight.

sperryman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »

You guys still alive?

My blog: http://www.seanperryman.com
My web design blog: http://www.clashofthepixels.com
My crappy flash site experiment: http://www.freewebgam.es
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »

You guys still alive?

We are indeed! Sorry it's been a little while since our last update since we've had less time to work on the game recently; we all are trying to get our degrees out of the way before going into full-time development again, so the next few months are going to be a bit slow development-wise. With that said, we'll try to post any new developments as we get the chance on weekends and breaks.

Here are some new outfits we added not too long ago though, since I just realized I forgot to post them here:

Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »

College has been taking up most of my time recently, but last week I got the chance to work on some environments:

We're hopin' to have randomized environment "themes" in addition to the levels themselves being randomized, in order to keep the game-to-game variety up. So what you're looking at there are the "Atlantic, Arctic, Stormy, Deep Sea, Infected, and Volcanic" themed waters there, all being applied to the same level.

In other news, a friend of mine Randy Hanson made this deliciously atmospheric poster for our game, and I'm so stoked about it I'm probably gonna use it for everything now.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 11:06:26 PM »

So how complete is this, in general?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2014, 10:52:10 PM »

So how complete is this, in general?

Heh, yeah this is a question we've been asking ourselves for a bit too. What we have right now is basically a finished engine complete with most of the features we want to include in the final game, so now it's mostly just content. There's a few more big features we want to add that we think are going to make the game pretty rad, so depending on how quickly we can get those implemented, I'd say we're almost halfway there now. With the other half all being content. Still shooting for a Fall/Winter release, though. But we'll just have to see how it goes once we get back into full-time development.
Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2014, 12:09:55 AM »

How will you ever finish if you always need to go deeper? Smiley
sperryman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 07:09:02 AM »

I really enjoy the art style and premise of this; do you have any method of pre-order or otherwise monetarily supporting the project?

My blog: http://www.seanperryman.com
My web design blog: http://www.clashofthepixels.com
My crappy flash site experiment: http://www.freewebgam.es
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2014, 09:35:32 AM »

I really enjoy the art style and premise of this; do you have any method of pre-order or otherwise monetarily supporting the project?

Since we're still in the process of setting up our company's bank account (among other business related things, since we only recently got our business license), we currently don't have a way to set up pre-orders or even put up some sort of "donate" button on our website for those who wish to contribute.

With that said, we'll let ya know when we have such systems set up, and we certainly appreciate the support! Both development and business related things should be speeding up in a few weeks once we go into full-time development, as we're all finishing up some college related stuff at the moment.
RhysD
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »

Looking great! I love the art and style you have going. (You MUST add a Steve Zissou reference!)

Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2014, 09:56:51 AM »

Lots of people have been asking us throughout development, "when are you guys going to set up a greenlight page?" and the answer has always been "soon," or "when we're ready." Well, that time has come my friends. We're on Greenlight now! So pack your virtual bags and head on over to give us that esteemed "Yes" vote that we so desire and spread the word!

GREENLIGHT PAGE: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=257476215

Also we have a new trailer to commemorate this grand occasion and to help get the word out. Drinks all around!  Beer!

GREENLIGHT TRAILER:

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2014, 05:40:35 PM »

Re: We Need to go Deeper
that's what she said
Schluppy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »

It's Some New Rocks!

I realize it's been while since I've posted, but I've been doing some important things! Because I'm an important guy.

Perhaps the most visually obvious of these important things would be our new rock system. Now, rather than a series of circular rocks (which can be seen in the background layer of the image above), we have small rocks which texture the edges of the foreground. I know what you're thinking: by what witchcraft does this system work?

It is actually based on points. We place some black circles down to define collisions, put points down where they overlap, and connect the dots. This is seen below with the red rectangles being the user-placed points, the green lines show the calculated edges, and the crosshairs show where big rocks are placed (which is calculated in the algorithm based on the cumulative arc length between all connected points).

To actually get the rocks in there I needed to calculate the unit normal vector for each point along the curve which will have a rock. Of course, to draw the green arc around the edges I had already calculated the line vectors parallel to the arc, and the normal is always going to simply have a difference in direction of pi/2 (the direction of this difference is based on whether it's going CW or CCW in adding rocks, and thus the direction of the parallel vector). By calculating this, the position and direction of each rock is stored and we get some nice rocks covering the edges.

Of course, this system also works for lines. But lines aren't as cool as curves.

Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2014, 05:07:47 PM »

So quick update on things that have been goin' on this past week:

First of all, we finally made it to the top 100 games on Steam Greenlight! After only a single month, we're pretty happy to see how much progress we were able to make with our Greenlight campaign. At time of writing we're ranked at #55, so we're quite close to breaking the top 50!

While the campaign has been takin' up most of my time recently, as we've been trying to keep ourselves afloat in time for the next batch- I've also been working on rocks to accommodate Ryan's aforementioned new rock tiling system for each different water type! I've been trying to give the rocks for each water type a unique look, while also hinting at the nature of that particular water level. Here's a sampling:

As usual, all feedback is welcome, and while I'm here I'll go ahead and shill for our official Twitter since we're still trying to get a decent following over there. I'm still pretty new to this whole Twitter business.
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2014, 09:47:19 AM »

We've been Greenlit!  Tears of Joy

And we couldn't have done it without all our supporters! Thanks to everyone who helped spread the word and especially to those who voted! Now we can rest easy and be assured that when we finish our game, we'll have a great outlet to sell it on. Now to buckle down and make sure it's as good as it can be!  Beer!

Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2014, 01:50:35 PM »

Stats Screen Update

Hey ya'll, haven't posted in a while I know; we've all been in pretty heads-down style crunch for a while now in preparation for a public demo, but I was working on this particular feature this past week and thought it should be interesting enough to show off and talk about a little bit.

Rightio - so this week I've been working on our game's new stats screen. For comparison, when the crew would die in our game, our stats screen up until now looked like this:

This worked fine for early testing when all we needed was for players to understand that their stats were being tracked- but as our game evolved, this simplistic and rather boring stats screen never evolved with it. So this week we decided we needed a stats screen that was more fun, more useful, and would actually play a part in the context of our in-game universe. So now when you die in We Need to Go Deeper, you are first presented with a splash screen that looks like this:

Introducing the Voyager's Gazette! Everytime the players die, they are presented a peak at the in-world adventurer-based newspaper, informing them of not only their own demise in the game world, but of other events going on as well. Like everything else in our game, the stories in the paper are randomized, so only through several deaths and playthroughs will players be able to get a glimpse at all of the worldly adventuring news.

Some stories are more humorous fluff, but others will hint at some of the mysteries surrounding The Living Infinite, letting players piece together small bits of information as a sort of post-mortem reward. The phrase "Submarine" in the headline there will also be replaced in-game by whatever the crew decided to name their ship, and with every paper the date moves forward, showing players that the in-game world is always in a progressive state.

After getting a glimpse at the headlines, clicking once on this screen will bring up scraps from other parts of the newspaper, showcasing to the players relevant information regarding their travels as well as each player's personal obituary, which contains their individual accomplishments throughout the trip.

The colored names you see there are the titles players are awarded based on their performance in the game. So if you were say, the kind of player who hoards treasure, doesn't contribute much in combat, and are generally being a complete nuisance, you are awarded the title of "Biggest Scoundrel" post mortem. The stats and titles on this particular screenshot are all mock-up placeholder variables for now, as well as the character portraits themselves, but soon they will be individualized proper.

Clicking again will bring up this screen - notifications of any items that were unlocked during your playthrough, and letting you know that they are now available for purchase (via in-game gold that carries over between playthroughs) in the in-game catalog. (I should note that this screenshot is a mock-up since we don't yet have the in-game catalog set up proper yet and so there's no current need to display these types of messages to players just yet.)

And finally, once you've clicked through any/all item unlock messages, you will be taken to this final screen where you can choose to either dive again into The Living Infinite with the same connections (meaning you won't have to reconnect to your friends again when you want to go another round) or quit to the main menu. Putting together these menus has been surprisingly fun and we can't wait to see what ya'll think of the format!

Oh, and one more quick thing to note: Since people have been asking, we finally have a proper DONATE button set up on our website now, so if you wanna help contribute to our development, feel free to stop by and lay down some hard cash!  Hand Money Left It would be much appreciated and every little bit always helps!  Smiley
kingdinosaurgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2014, 02:26:06 PM »

I love the look of the Gazette, you guys really did a great job on the look and feel of this game. 

Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2014, 01:54:56 PM »

I love the look of the Gazette, you guys really did a great job on the look and feel of this game. 

Cheers! Gentleman Thanks for the kind words. Always appreciated! As we get closer to the point of content creation over features hopefully we'll have more to start posting more regularly soon.
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2014, 08:02:07 PM »

I was hoping to see this at the utah indie games night last night but it wasn't there Sad I would have made an effort to check it out even though I was bus with my game and wasn't able to realy make the rounds Sad

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic