Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:48:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Space Invader invades
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Invader invades  (Read 3136 times)
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:17:35 AM »

I've been vaguely following the artsy side of street art for a little while now, and this guy's work shows up frequently.  The video gives a cool look at what he does and how he does it, and his love of pixel art.

(I think a lot of people here could do more original pixel art than he does, but it's still awesome that he sneaks it out into the public space.)

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:37:06 AM »

Man, how in the world does this guy afford to globe hop and buy colored tiles everywhere he goes? Him and Bansky. Who backs these people? I want whatever rich dead uncle left them a fortune.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
KennEH!
Level 10

"What, me worry!?!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 03:52:15 PM »

Shocked I've seen his work in Toronto.

Madness takes its toll please have exact change.
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »

He must have visited California... I've encountered his work too. I wouldn't find any here in Santa Clarita, but whenever I head out to Los Angeles, I see these around. My favorite is a Bubble Bobble one that says "SOS".

Sounds like he has a lot of fun doing these to boot! More power to him.

chris
Level 0

I like octopus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »

theres lots of little invaders around brick lane in london.
here a pic I took. Its also got some of banksys dead baby things in it:
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 01:51:22 PM »

hahaha that's great. Fill the world with pixel art!
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »

I'm going to be more aware of these now and try to snap a picture of one next time I head into Los Angeles!

Biggerfish
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 01:11:53 AM »

Too bad for me the only one he's done in Perth is out in the ocean off a beach.

http://www.space-invaders.com/perth.html

I really like the idea of street art that isn't just some idiots illegible scribble on a wall. A year ago or so there were some stickers that were placed in a couple of places around the city (there were 2 or 3 different types, and I saw a couple of each), and I thought it a really great idea. It's not random graffiti for the purpose of being annoying, it's something cool put up that looks quite nice.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 01:44:08 AM »

Ha! That was nice work getting ACMI in the background of the Melbourne one.
JamesPopStar
Level 1

Agent California

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:41:24 AM »

It's not random graffiti for the purpose of being annoying, it's something cool put up that looks quite nice.

It's surprising that people don't consider this to be "tagging" so much, but more towards the side of street art... While painted graffiti is looked at as annoying even though many of those artists would argue their work as street art, too. In actuality, what Invader is doing is very openly tagging, yet it's received for it's artistic merit.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »

hahaha that's great. Fill the world with pixel art!

Fuck, that's an awesome idea. I can see, like, a whole street covered in bright coloured tiles, looking like a SNES game of something.

Someone MUST do this. I might do this to my house. When I have one that doesn't belong to my folks.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Biggerfish
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 06:20:51 PM »

It's surprising that people don't consider this to be "tagging" so much, but more towards the side of street art
I would consider it street art because it is not a splash of paint put on anything anywhere for the purpose of saying "look at me I put some paint here!", he has a goal and is doing it. That said, I don't know much about the normal graffiti tagging. Something like this is something I think is cool, vandalism aside, as against something like this, which I find just annoying. I think it stems from the time someone was paid to paint a big wall I used to drive past, and over time it was slowly covered with tags and I could never understand why you'd vandilise something like that. That and it's senseless vandalism.
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 11:21:45 PM »

I dunno, is it tagging?  I mean I guess when he calls himself Space Invader, and puts up Space Invader characters.  But some of those pics are pacmans and stuff, and now the new stuff at the end of the video are binary codes with text messages (which don't include his name as far as I know).

But either way, I don't think tagging and art are mutually exclusive.  I'd view it as art if it makes a place more worth looking at than it used to be.

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Biggerfish
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 11:51:13 PM »

I am pretty sure it's considered tagging because it his signature "thing" to do. I mean, if I saw an old video-game character around the street in a country now made out of tiles, I'd immediately think of him.

But yeah, as long as it adds to a place I think it's great. But I am still wondering where he gets all the money from.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic