Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 11:34:52 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsAxis - WW2 Era Dungeon Manager
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Axis - WW2 Era Dungeon Manager  (Read 1742 times)
Keen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 03, 2013, 07:24:47 PM »

Axis is a dungeon manager game in the vein of Dungeon Keeper 2 and Evil Genius, with a world war 2 era-ish theme in an alternate reality. It focuses more on RTS combat and sabotage though.

Twitter: @kurtloeffler
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 02:54:08 PM by Keen » Logged

Conker534
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:26:08 PM »

Sounds like it could be fun
antoniodamala
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 08:42:15 PM »

yes
Nicholas Lives
Level 1

Catch of the Day

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 09:58:57 PM »

Man, I'm always a sucker for cartoony 3d art styles. Consider me interested, albeit a bit in the dark about the project. Would love to hear more about how it plays!  Gomez Hand Joystick
Keen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 02:50:37 AM »

Thanks guys!

Man, I'm always a sucker for cartoony 3d art styles. Consider me interested, albeit a bit in the dark about the project. Would love to hear more about how it plays!  Gomez Hand Joystick

Theres not a whole lot of gameplay yet. Most of the work has been on the tech and game systems, such as the tile system, room system, AI framework.

Gameplay wise the goal is something very much like Dungeon Keeper 2, but more rts style combat, where you select and order units around, instead of picking them up and dropping them. Units will still do things on their own, like sleeping, eating, training and combat, but you can select them and tell them to move somewhere to hint at what you want them to do.

I also want to have a pretty big focus on sabotage and traps and stealth. basically there would be a special spy unit that can disguise and sneak into enemy territory and plant traps and bombs, silently take out enemies, and reveal the enemies base.

I have started implemented unit AI logic. This gif shows the "engineer" unit blowing up marked walls. The explosion effect still needs a lot of work.

Keen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 04:30:34 PM »

I decided to change the name back to Axis, which was the original working title. And decided to go more abstract on the setting to distance it from the real world ww2 setting and factions. Im trying to come up with a faction symbol to replace the iron cross for the players faction (which is the german-ish one).

Im leaning towards 8, 6, 10, and maybe 12. What do you guys think?

Stimor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 04:34:28 PM »

8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 8 or as an alternative choice, 8

Nothing is going to change unless you change things for the worse
Conker534
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 05:02:43 PM »

4 is okay

but i dont really like any of them
Juan Raigada
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »

I love your textures!

As for the logo, I like the Iron Cross more... Sorry...

A pixelized version of 8 could work, though...

Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:17:34 AM »

I like 12 best. Simple clean shapes. It reminds me of the Wolfenstein logo a bit, that's why I like it I guess. Here, I made a few variants based on 12.

The game looks and reads really nice. I like the wonkyness to the tiles, it really helps make it look more interesting and varied even though the tiles are the same. And yeah, the textures do look nice. Good work! Smiley

rikfuzz
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 08:35:49 AM »

Last one here's very close to what I had in mind when I saw the original selection.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
antoniodamala
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 01:11:28 PM »

Last one here's very close to what I had in mind when I saw the original selection.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
thisss
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 01:16:32 PM »

I quite like ten: violently driving a spike through the separated two to create one wounded whole.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »

Concentration Camp Tycoon

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Keen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »

I like 12 best. Simple clean shapes. It reminds me of the Wolfenstein logo a bit, that's why I like it I guess. Here, I made a few variants based on 12.

The game looks and reads really nice. I like the wonkyness to the tiles, it really helps make it look more interesting and varied even though the tiles are the same. And yeah, the textures do look nice. Good work! Smiley

Those are great. After posting the first batch I also made a variation of 12 and came up with this:

I also made a logo.

Click for 2X

As you may have noticed I was really inspired by completely ripped off this awesome broforce logo.

Concentration Camp Tycoon

Haha well there wont be any of that kind of stuff. Thats one reason I wanted to distance it more from real world factions. I think I also want it to be unclear who the real bad guys are. So it a faction that looks a lot like Nazi fighting a faction that looks a lot like USA but other than the way they look theres no indication of which is the bigger evil.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic