Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 01:00:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingwhat is the most interesting long-term choice you've had to make in a game?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: what is the most interesting long-term choice you've had to make in a game?  (Read 3986 times)
edmundmk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 08:46:58 AM »

The one game that made me feel like I was making meaningful choices was Knights of the Old Republic.

The way your light side/dark side choices worked meant that if you wanted to maximize your light side or dark side meter you needed to actually act as a good or evil character.  And, not to spoil anything, but there is more than one plot twist in that game which gave me a real reason to reconsider my choices.

However I did feel kind of screwed over by the game mechanics at the end.  At the start of the game I had built myself up to 100% light side, got kicked in the ass by the plot twist and decided to go 100% dark, but at the end I couldn't follow through and redeemed myself.

Which wiped out my dark side points.  So I entered the final boss battle with my light side/dark side meter stuck exactly in the middle.  Which meant I lost all my Force power bonuses and could no longer equip the best equipment!

Made for a great story but that final battle was a very hard slog.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 06:03:42 PM »

Classic balancing power in story vs. mechanics. Offering choice within this is tough.
BlackLodgeGames
Level 0

Arcana Kira Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »

One the joys of PC gaming is the ability to mod.  My most interesting long term choice in a game was not one that the developer chose to enable.  It was with Skyrim, which I had thoroughly mastered and had grown bored of.  To give the game new life, I installed several mods which made into basically an NPC.  I was not dragonborn, I was a merchant.  The game's difficulty was set to legendary, and I installed mods that meant the world didn't level up with me.  This meant running from almost all confrontations, taking carriages instead walking outside of towns, and when bandits entered the town, I would hide and let the guards do the work.  It was fun to observe the world of Skyrim from this prospective, and it fundamentally altered every way I played the game.

I know that's not exactly what the OP meant by their question. If I were to pick something from a game's actual story, even decisions in the Mass Effect series don't seem that relevant.  I can't really think of any that jump out as a majorly important long term decision.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 09:05:49 PM »

I will say that I hate having to meta-game choices. That was my biggest issue with Catherine. The choices were obviously red or blue, and you had to play in a way to manipulate the game, or let it manipulate you or whatever.

Mass Effect choices give you the illusion of choice. You "buy in" to the choice system with your imagination. Playing that game is like playing with toy ninja turtles. You know they aren't real. You just substitute reality with belief, and there you go. ... If you're not ready for the double-think then such choices lose their lustre, and power.
Mass Effect would have been so much better if all dialog options were just white and they never let you know either way if what you are doing is good or bad, you decide that for yourself. Good and evil choices in general just suck a lot. Fallout 3 had a karma system but when making choices through dialogue you never knew if each option was going to leave you on good terms or bad terms with the person you're talking to.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2014, 06:16:29 AM »

As long as I can sort of understand what a statement is supposed to mean (i.e. from my perspective) - I'm talking about choices here - then I'm cool with what you are saying. I think one time I tried to hold my ground in an argument in Mass Effect 2 and ended up punching a news anchor in the face, with one decision.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic