(Firefox or Chrome, otherwise it blurs due to GM bug. Not formatted for Mobile... Yet.)Meiroban!Windows
(But not Windows 8 or other platforms...Yet.)Meiroban Exe!Controls
A S D W or Arrow Keys
F2 to restart a level*******
Mockup screenshot will be at the bottom. This will go on a bit, because I intend to be very thorough in logging this development process, and to set expectations of those reading.
I decided to start a DevLog for a game that I am working on tentatively called Meiroban. It is a game in early, early development
but things are moving along quite quickly
which I just started.
Mostly I've left comments in feedback and had one failed DevLog, so I decided it's high time to actually work on something that I intend to see through. I call it Meiroban, based off of the concept of Sokoban. I believe Meiroban means Labyrinth Keeper, so if anyone knows for certain I'd love to be certain also
. The Idea
Based off of the concept of Sokoban, meaning Warehouse Keeper, this game at it's core is about puzzling out the correct pushing of blocks around onto the correct squares. I intend to follow the tried and true puzzle game formula by taking that simple mechanic, and adding other simple mechanics over time in order to create a diverse series of more complicated puzzles as the game goes on. I intend to prompt the player with what to do in intuitive ways with visual clues and encourage a bit of experimentation with the mechanics. They will learn each mechanic individually and as levels progress, these learned mechanics will be combined in what I hope are new and interesting ways. I do not want to hit people over the head with text and instructions, but I want to make the casual puzzle player able to catch on quickly.Setting/Concept
The game will take place in a tower dungeon. The heroine, yet unnamed or perhaps player named, will enter in order to reach the top. Those who reach the Labyrinth Keeper alive receive a gift, a single wish. Cliche, yea. Still with me? Great! In order to progress floors and be deemed worthy, the heroine must complete challenging objectives, mainly pushing rune stones onto magical seals in the floor in order to unlock the magic barrier and proceed to the next area.Mechanics
As time goes on, other mechanics will come into play. So far, I am ideally toying with the following concepts:
- Logic puzzles
- Buttons and switches
- Obstacles such as flame jets that can be blocked with bricks for passage
- Obstacles such as magic beams that can be blocked by runestones, but disintigrates them over time and causes them to respawn. With buttons and this, timing puzzles are available. Beam direction will also be able to be changed via "arrow" blocks, and rotatable "arrow" blocks.
- Pits, water, and Lava. They can be traversed by pushing blocks in. Blocks in water will follow their flow, and blocks in lava will slowly melt away and must be passed quickly.
- Character puzzles - There will be NPCs in the tower as well who are trying to progress through the tower. You may solve quests for them, help them progress, or hinder them. I am likely going to add more than one ending depending on who you help or hinder and how. This will also introduce the story of the world in a non-intrusive way and over time through the gameplay.
- Considering adding monsters to some degree, a la Zelda style. But this will not be the focus of the game, and more a mechanic to add challenge to certain areas, add to the story, and advance the plot. As well, some enemies will help introduce puzzle based boss fights.
- Some blocks will be able to be pulled but not pushed.
- Some blocks will be able to be pushed or pulled at range with magic, but not both pushed and pulled
- Scoring based on time to solve, optional pick-ups, and risk/reward based situations involving both.
- And perhaps more...
This is a very simple mockup showing a work in progress art style.
I used contrasting colors in hopes that it would help the objectives and character be obvious and "pop" from the background. Intents
So yea, that's it in a nutshell. First and foremost I intend to make a fun experience for players. In addition, I intend to sell this game to HTML5 web portals, which will then allow people to play the game for free and yet allow me to cover costs and time, as well as generate an income. I also intend to add bonus features and levels and then port the game to both iPhone and Android, and perhaps Windows 8 App Store, where I hope to sell it for a reasonable and fair price. I am inspired by Truevalhalla's ability to make an income, as well as his transparency, and I intend to be transparent with my earnings if there are any, in order to further inspire others. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but regardless I intend to finish this game and see where it goes and what other opportunities become available to get my game out there.
Any questions, comments, etc. can be posted here and I will do my best to address what I am able, and let you know if I'm not!
And hey, thanks for reading :3 <3333