Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 07:16:14 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralCrappy Independent Game Sites
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Crappy Independent Game Sites  (Read 6720 times)
jaredbloom
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:17:22 PM »

They're out there:

Markup Magazine: Endorsed by YoYo Games, a portal that's quite crappy in its own right. The layout is horrible, some of the images actually obscure text, and the reviewers themselves have horrible taste.

Highlights:

"Most of your multiplayer games have both single and multi-player modes. Why do you think this is necessary?"

On Seiklus: "The game is addictive yes, but it gets boring after a while, in my opinion the game achieves greatness if the player wishes to play it more than once which this one has failed miserably"

Uhhh... What?

I could probably whine more, but instead I'll just let you guys post your opinions.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 05:19:54 PM »

Why do people make PDF magazines for net release.

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »

I'm always on the lookout for crappy websites to visit.

fucker
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 05:47:23 PM »

tigsource?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:52:28 PM »

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

It seems to me like it's because no one questions why things are done a certain way... print is established, so you want to make your website look just like a print magazine, even though the web format is completely conducive to new types of layouts and ideas.

For most people there's still a lack of legitimacy to having a website, so they emulate print.  Generally the faster and easy a media is for communication, the less legitimate or something?

Which is why I'm planning on making TIGSource available in carved stone tablet format... Tongue

tigsource?

Huh? I bite my thumb at thee, good sir.
edenb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »

I blogged about the awful MarkUp magazine a while ago (http://eocommunity.co.uk/bloglink.php?id=54&blog=18269.
The truth is, most GM-related magazines/websites are terrible. Same goes for indy game websites, really.
PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 09:32:51 PM »

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Yeah.  Be like The Escapist, and generate a webpage too.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 09:33:35 PM »

Yeah, I read it and its reviews and interviews were a bit crazy. But I don't think it's correct to call that site an independent games site. It's centered around hobbiest game developers, not independent game developers. What I mean is, they're people who make games just to pass time. They tend not to play independent games, they tend to be more into mainstream games, they tend to not take game development too seriously, they tend to make fan-games, etc.

jaredbloom
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 10:56:45 PM »

You bring up a good point, rinkuhero, although I'd like to think that people make games and release them as freeware more than "just to pass time". Also, the site is centered around Game Maker games, and there have been some independent shareware releases through Game Maker (Immortal Defense, MAGI).

Hmmm, what other sites are there... I suppose we could argue about whether GameTunnel is a crappy site or not. Personally I think it's decent, although they're usually about two months late on writing reviews.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 05:35:26 AM »

Yeah, GM can be used for either, it's just that the majority of that community are hobbyist game developers (not that that's a bad thing). And of course a game can be independent and freeware, most are, it's just that there's a gap between people who spend maybe an hour a week on it and those who see it as an important part of their lives. There's even a tendency among hobbyist game developers to make fun of people who put too much effort into their game, saying they have no life etc.

Each art form has this distinction too. E.g. there are hobbiest writers who will never publish anything other than a few fanfics, and writers who are really into writing and will probably get published, even if they only self-publish independently. There are people who play music as a hobby to entertain themselves or their friends, and people who take it seriously, study it, and play as a band (independent or no). There's nothing wrong with people not taking something that seriously; I'm a hobbyist writer myself, it's just that that site is clearly a hobbyist site, so I wouldn't say it's "crappy", just hobbyist.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 05:37:14 AM by rinkuhero » Logged

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2007, 06:05:55 AM »

There's even a tendency among hobbyist game developers to make fun of people who put too much effort into their game, saying they have no life etc.

We have lives! It's just that ours are more virtual than other's.

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2007, 12:02:13 PM »

There's even a tendency among hobbyist game developers to make fun of people who put too much effort into their game, saying they have no life etc.

Yet just to by hypocritical, I bet they'd be in awe/impressed by anybody that does games as a day job.  We put those hard core hobbiests to shame.  Smiley

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2007, 11:47:39 AM »

i must admit i have no social life anymore.
at all.
almost.

i spend 8 hours a day working on a game, then i go home, and work on another game.
i used to go out, get wasted, dance, etc etc.
well, dance no more!
ill go to a show every now and then.
and there's this killer genre cinema festival going on hese days so im there often.

but really, ever since i started working seriously on the game, the social life withered and died.

for the game!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2007, 12:21:12 PM »

[...]

for the game!

For the game!

PoV
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2007, 02:10:29 PM »

[...]

for the game!

For the game!

For the game.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2007, 04:29:13 PM »

For the game indeed!

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 06:40:27 PM »

For art! the game.

jaredbloom
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 07:15:31 PM »