Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412111 Posts in 69451 Topics- by 58490 Members - Latest Member: tzdevil

June 29, 2024, 08:27:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSwaplins!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Swaplins!  (Read 2607 times)
Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2013, 12:50:58 AM »

Hello, TIGSource!

Myself and a couple of other talented gentlemen are working on a game we'd like to show you a piece of called "Swaplins."

Swaplins are Goblins that have a strong affinity for... swapping things! Swaplins!
This is our first project ever and we're totally excited about it.

<Still very WIP, but we wanted to show off the atmosphere>

The idea is that your buddies have ransacked a town, plundered a village, stormed a castle; and are sending their findings back home. It's your job to organize the loot and send the items where they go! You control the Swaplins in the center to run up and down the belts to trade out items to make sure they're on the correct belts.

We're early in development but are trying to keep our scope relatively small to gauge our success as a team. I'm working on programming, Cody Williams is working on art, and Jean-Marc Brown is working on concept and level design.

We're not 100% sure which platforms we'll be releasing on entirely, but there's lots of talk!

No playable yet, but stay tuned! I'll leave you all with some fun concept art.

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 10:54:44 AM »

That's some seriously lush style you've got there

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »

Sounds interesting.  The sorting-things-into-different-boxes idea doesn't particularly grab me as something that would be interesting to play but the gorgeous hand-drawn artstyle is good enough that I would probably be drawn in on the strength of that alone.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Godkitten
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 12:18:14 PM »

Looking good! What are you using for it? Unity?
I'm curious to see what you'll throw into it to mix up the gameplay (aka special items).
premonster
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »

How do you swap things?
Jean-Marc Brown
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 04:22:21 PM »

Hey Guys, Thanks for Commenting!

My name is Jean-Marc, as you read above I have been working with Sam on Swaplins!

To answer a few of your questions...

Our belts are Conveyer Belts. These belts will always be moving steadily from north to south toward the containers at the bottom.

Swapping items, will be as simple as selecting a Swaplin by clicking on him( as seen in the Screenshot, He has the "!" above his head) and then clicking an item. He will then take off after that item, once he picks it up, he will be ready for another command. With another click, he can either place the object down in an empty spot or switch it for an item that is already on the belt. Swaplins can hold onto an item as long as needed, and all 3 Swaplins can be given commands simultaneously. Multi-tasking will be essential to success! 

Godkitten, We are using Game Maker for Swaplins. We do have special Items, this includes Buffs for your Swaplins like increased movement speed, as well as items that will negatively affect them and your belts, if not controlled properly.

siskavard
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 07:41:41 PM »

Oh my.

This looks great!
absenter
Level 1

I push pixels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »

Keep it up, Sam. Mash Arcade for life!

Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 09:30:38 PM »

Oh my.

This looks great!

Thanks! We're working on adding JUICE to it now... Both for effect and for addiction quality!

Keep it up, Sam. Mash Arcade for life!

Beer!
Little Nando
Level 1

Working on Tough Coded Project

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 05:10:38 AM »

Nice! Do you have any gameplay vids???

Little Nando / Twitter / Blog
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 01:16:09 AM »

The goblins reminds me of Adventures time's Ice King, looks pretty!
Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »

Nice! Do you have any gameplay vids???
Not juuuust yet! We're getting something prepared to show it in motion. We ask for your patience just a litttle longer.

The goblins reminds me of Adventures time's Ice King, looks pretty!
Hah! I love Adventure Time, so I guess that's not an entirely bad thing. Should we name each Swaplin "Gunther"? Hahah!
Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 12:07:24 AM »

Well we've made a lot of progress lately...!

We've implemented chests that come down the conveyers. They're locked, so you better get to clicking! Once you've hit them enough, they'll spew coins at you and give you a random item or a power-up.

What could be inside...?

It feels really good to not have to wait for something to come down and just MASH ON THE BUTTONS!

Sam B
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »

Swaplins has all of its frameworks down, and is now in the testing phase! Next step is to polish everything until its squeaky clean...

Stay tuned!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic