Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:30:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingPsy-Ops: Tell the players from the NPCs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Psy-Ops: Tell the players from the NPCs  (Read 2491 times)
Jrap
Level 0

Always be the best dressed in the room.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »

It's a lot like 'Hidden in plain sight'.
To win, you must either explode the heads of the other players with your mind microwave powers (leaving their skin red hot but their brain still frozen) OR, be the last person to insert a floppy disk into a machine.

LOCAL MULTIPLAYER ONLY. That's right, you must have friends to play this.

Controls explained in-game. arrow keys and enter to select a number of players.

PLAY ONLINE
PLAY ON NEWGROUNDS

Would really love some feedback, I'm thinking on doing randomly generated costumes, and if your feedback was really good (positive or negative) I want to put you in the game!

And then microwave YOUR Brain!   Evil Hand Knife Right
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 04:39:13 PM by Jrap » Logged

Jrap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 08:28:22 PM »

Updated with a link to play in your browser via HTML5. still buggy, but somewhat reliable.

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 06:48:25 AM »

Interesting game, I like it, though I didn't see any details of the controls in the game.

One thing I did think was that when you use the "mind power", it gives away a human player. So if you've got 4 players, and player 1 tries to mind power player 2, players 2 (if still alive), 3 and 4 all know who player 1 is.
Jrap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »

Thanks for the feedback buddy! It means a lot to me  Giggle

The control details I'm talking about is the image at the bottom of the room, you can see it in that second screenshot there. Though player fours attack is enter in the latest build, not control, because playing with four people would trigger keyboard shortcuts every time p4 attacked!

And the players used to discreetly stab one another, but I thought it was too subtle and games went on forever, the mind pulse thing Is just obvious enough to make using it a real risk. But I made the machines more subtle than they used to be, with one flashing pixel indicating that they had been activated. This means your eyes have to focus on that object to get any information, and I found that people got away with using the mind power while I was distracted by the floppy disks!

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:19:59 PM »

The control details I'm talking about is the image at the bottom of the room, you can see it in that second screenshot there.
Yeah, I noticed it in the screenshot, but when I follow the Play Online link, it's not on the game.

And the players used to discreetly stab one another, but I thought it was too subtle and games went on forever, the mind pulse thing Is just obvious enough to make using it a real risk.
Fair enough, I was only playing by myself, and I guess that's something you'd discover better in playtesting with others

But I made the machines more subtle than they used to be, with one flashing pixel indicating that they had been activated.
TBH, I didn't even notice the pixel difference on the computers.
Jrap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 03:28:36 AM »

by George I do believe you're right! for some reason the game wasn't drawing the controls object.

Not to worry, it's fixed now, thanks again for the feedback.

pmprog
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 04:00:54 AM »

I get a 404 error now
Jrap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 05:58:55 PM »

I get a 404 error now

*404 Fixed.
*Controls fixed, and edited to show the correct keys.
*F10 for fullscreen on google chrome.
*Get to psy-ops quickly with tinyurl.com/psyopsforum
*several graphical bug fixes.
*player animation bug fixed.

Tell your friends!

OmarShehata
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 03:11:33 AM »

Well this is a pretty awesome game idea!

My first thought was "Pffft, this can't work! I mean I can obviously see the other player hitting the keyboard", but I realized that it to me a bit to find out which one I was controlling in the crowd.

I haven't had a chance to play it with a friend yet, but this does remind me of a game called Spy Party, http://www.spyparty.com/. It had a really similar idea where one player tries to blend in with the NPC's and subtly carry on a mission as the other tries to stop him.

I definitely think there's a lot of potential for more human/AI interaction in games like this. I'll try it out with a friend and report back!

(Also reminds me of

)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 03:24:18 AM by OmarShehata » Logged
Jrap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 04:44:20 AM »

Well this is a pretty awesome game idea!

My first thought was "Pffft, this can't work! I mean I can obviously see the other player hitting the keyboard", but I realized that it to me a bit to find out which one I was controlling in the crowd.

I haven't had a chance to play it with a friend yet, but this does remind me of a game called Spy Party, http://www.spyparty.com/. It had a really similar idea where one player tries to blend in with the NPC's and subtly carry on a mission as the other tries to stop him.

I definitely think there's a lot of potential for more human/AI interaction in games like this. I'll try it out with a friend and report back!

(Also reminds me of

)

Ooh, that cursor camouflage thing is really awesome!

And I saw a bit of coverage on spyparty, I liked it's concept a lot but I found the controls and graphics a bit counter productive ( I know the graphics are getting majorly changed but still)Another problem with spyparty is that everything comes down to that one pull of the trigger, the game may go for five minutes but the most climatic thing that happens is somebody shoots a gun. You spend a lot of time squinting at the screen.

For the sniper, that timer ticking down adds suspense. "gotta find him! which one is he?!"
But for the spy things are so much calmer (except for when a laser comes in the window, my favourite bit)

And for spectators this can lead to 5 minutes of nothing, and a half second "oh s**t!" moment.

Stuff that has the same spirit like assassin's creed and the ship suffer from a different problem, you are hunting someone, but someone is hunting you, so people end up never stopping and running straight for their assigned target. The NPCs just add depth to your team deathmatch with weird mechanics.

When designing psy ops, I wanted to have lots of moments in the one game where you panic. I didn't want there to be a lead-up to an all or nothing event. Playing it on a massive iMac screen with my friends, things go from stressfully quiet, to uproariously hectic really quickly. With four people in the game, it becomes much easier for them to float back into the crowd, which was a problem I had with hidden in plain sight.

So I tried to create these great moments of "dammit! that was an NPC! run! run! oh crap this guys onto me! drop the disk! abort!"

But at the same time I respect Spy Party's buildup. Each second that passes is in direct ratio to the amount of stress you're under, you grit your teeth and hold your breath and BANG. the deed is done. Which Is another reason for the four players thing, you end up with all different styles of gameplay, from assassins creed to the ship to HIPS to spyparty.

Four players, it's hectic, noone knows who they are, people run for the disks and run away from anyone suspicious. Someones head explodes. You see the killer and either hunt him down with your NPC posse or run away. Splat, two people left, the other two guys have taken their hands off the keyboard, it's no longer such a hectic battle, now it's a duel. You see the two adversaries' eyes dart around the screen, looking for that one slip-up. It happens, one of them changes direction too quickly, they know the game is up, they know they're being chased, they run for open ground, trying to get away from the cloud of NPCs that could be their future murderer. The spectators are screaming that escalating ooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOO noise.

One of the NPCs slides into view at an odd angle and boom. Game Over. You push R and do it all over again.

Thanks for the feedback! Be sure to give me every detail of how it goes when you get a chance to play it for real.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 04:50:31 AM by Jrap » Logged

Jrap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 03:05:32 AM »

I'm considering a graphical overhaul of psy-ops, because I feel self-conscious calling myself an 'artist' and then showing people this.
 maybe something like my work on this.

any opinions, suggestions, yes, no, maybe, perhaps, take a raincheck caramel chocolate macchiato decaf latte  Coffee?

Jrap
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »

*I'm on newgrounds now!
*fixed oh so many bugs
*game now runs at 672x334, and is upscaled to 1344x672 without blur (because I removed it, because I'm a badass)
*added some pretty horrific sounds
*graphical touch-ups

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic