Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411980 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 01, 2024, 07:43:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpecter | 2D action-platformer [now with demo!]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Specter | 2D action-platformer [now with demo!]  (Read 11489 times)
irabonus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2013, 04:38:33 AM »

Facebook|Twitter|IndieDB

Alpha 0.1.15 download, 90mb, Windows only

Support us on Greenlight!

Latest video development update!

Specter is an action-platformer which borrows a lot of our favorite tried-yet-true mechanics from the genre and meshes them, all while adding some new concepts to the mix.

You play as king Harold who's castle has been overtaken by spirits. While otherwise reasonably pleasant neighbors, they decided to not longer tolerate the loud parties and drunken noblemen, puking on their sacred grounds.
Thus they raided the castle, possessing Harold's sweet skull decorations and stripping him of his abilities.
Now he must trudge through his haunted halls, feeling remorse, and reclaim his lost skills.

So much for the set up...
Gif Time!

We want platforming in Specter to revolve a little less around precision, and more around thinking before you leap... ranging from quickly assessing a jump, to full-fledged puzzles.

A few screenshots:

And a development update:

We are three people working on this. I'm doing the programming and Blair the art/game design. The music is by Jonah Backfish
It might be interesting to mention that I live in Germany, while the other two guys are from the US. We do all of our communication via Skype, and share files via Dropbox (and git for the code). The 6 hour time difference was something to get used to, but it's working well now.

Currently I'm using XNA, but I really want to port it to MonoGame as a lot of my friends only run Linux and I want to support the Linux game dev community.

We want to release a playable preview/alpha version next week, but feel free to tell us what you think, any feedback is welcome!

Cheers, Dario
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 02:52:32 PM by irabonus » Logged

Blog: darioseyb.com My game project: Specter
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 05:07:41 AM »

Very nice, reminds of Castlevania and Mega Man.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 05:30:36 AM »

Only a 10% completed !? really ? It looks pretty advanced to me .. perhaps it is a 10% of the levels, uh ? I like the lighting of the MC.
irabonus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 05:39:03 AM »

@Games Inquirer:
Thanks, we love those games and are humbled to hear that it reminds you of them!

@dhontecillas:
I wasn't quite sure myself what to select. We haven't got any level yet that  we'd call final, but the engine is pretty much done and about 1/5 of the features we plan are worked out. Do you think I should change it?

ohaiguy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 05:42:52 AM »

Yeah, I'd definitely say that you're past 10%. At least somewhere around 20/30%

https://soundcloud.com/ohaiguy
[email protected]
Music Composer! Feel free to contact me Smiley
irabonus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 05:48:21 AM »

Okay, changed that! Thanks for pointing it out Smiley

dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 08:42:55 AM »

I agree! but it is your decision, is your game Smiley It is only I was surprised to see that "that" was a 10%. Unlesss you expect to put one hundred levels.

It looks like you could post a playable level.
yuotta
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »

Game looks awesome, can't wait to play!
irabonus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »

I guess I could let you download the latest build Smiley

HERE BE DRAGONS!
Keep in mind that the levels you'll see are outdated, way too hard and probably frustrating. This version was not intended for release, there are a few bugs that still need fixing (hopefully no crashes though).
You need:
-XNA 4.0 (Redistributable )
-Windows Media Player installed (XNA is weird like that)
-Windows Update KB2803821 deinstalled (otherwise videos will be cut off), see here

DOWNLOAD LINK Key: TIGSOURCE Size: ~82mb

Thanks for your interest and let me know what you think!

Tip: To open levels via the editor, click the editor button in the main menu, hit escape and choose "Load Level". Choose any of them and click ok. Hit escape again and click "Play Level", the level should load. You might see some more recent stuff that way!

kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 02:28:46 AM »

This looks slick and efficient...i like slick and efficient. Really nice setting and work, guys!

dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:19 AM »

Hi,

I've been playing the demo. I had a problem with the initial videos, only showin the bottom half of the video (the upper part was black). I don't know if you are aware of the issue. It hasn't been a problem, since the rest of the game can be played and is rendered without any problem.

The jumping and movement of the main character feels good (I like it). From my point of view, the "basic enemy" is too dificult to kill with the standard attack. I've ended using the charge and shot all the level, as it kills them easily.. I would put some kind of limit to the powerful attacks (the chargint time is not too much), like a recharging bar, before you can use it again (that would recover with time). For example a bar with energy for 3 attacks or so.

And, I know that is work in progress .. but the grey walls of the castle are a little bit too flat.

I think that you are doing a good job with the game. Keep working on it! Smiley
irabonus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 07:36:26 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!
The cut off video is a bug in a Windows update, there is not much we can do about that : /

The weak main attack is actually a bug I found just after uploading that version yesterday Smiley But you are right, the abilities need some balancing. The idea with the recharging bar is great though, we are going to think about that!
We are redoing all the levels at the moment, that is why I was reluctant to post a build. We've got a lot more sprites to put on walls now!

Hopefully we will get all of that sorted out until next Wednesday, that's when we want to release the preview version...

dhontecillas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 08:22:20 AM »

Great!

Well I gave you the feedback based in that version. I know that while you are developing you are aware of the things that are to be done, and most of the time we point to obvious things that you already know. But, I got a good general impresion of the gameplay. Keep on with the work !
EaglEye
Level 0

Belgian Gamer and Youtuber

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 10:16:24 AM »

Oh, I do love the lightning effects and the style of the game. Something to follow in the future Smiley

Indie youtuber looking at new and upcoming Indie games. Being informative and entertaining at the same time
MY YOUTUBE - MY WEBSITE
irabonus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »

Hey EaglEye, if you want I can send you a copy as soon as we are comfortable enough to show the game to a wider audience. It would be awesome if you'd check out Specter on your YouTube channel! I love your accent btw, way better than my terrible German one Wink

Tiago_BinaryPig
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 01:50:05 PM »

Great artstyle, looks like it has a solid gameplay but what i liked the most was the effects like the ripple and lights.

Would it be too much to ask for a sneak peak into those shaders (specially the ripple one)?

Make more videologs Smiley

irabonus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 02:20:36 PM »

I'll write a blog post about the graphics pipeline tomorrow Smiley Working on that part of the game right now anyway.
We will probably release the engine part of Specter under an open source license at a later stage as well!

Tiago_BinaryPig
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »

I'll write a blog post about the graphics pipeline tomorrow Smiley Working on that part of the game right now anyway.
We will probably release the engine part of Specter under an open source license at a later stage as well!

Awesome! Looking forward to read it Coffee

irabonus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »

Ok here it goes...

Overview over Specter's rendering pipeline:

I will demonstrate the rendering process using this screenshot:

Final image...

1. Particle Rendering

All particles are rendered in additive blending mode. This allows for nice fire effects, which is the main application of particle systems in Specter. Effects like smoke or dust are hard to achieve this way, but until now we haven't had need for them.
Due to the fact that I only want to apply the additive blending to the particles themselves and not to the scene I have to render them to a separate render target.
I also render the depth of each pixel to a separate render target, which will later be used for a z-combine with the world render target.

Particle render target...

Particle depth buffer (not all that interesting because the particles are at maximum depth)...

2. World Rendering

The rest of the world is rendered in alpha blend mode, back-to-front, to a separate render target. That means all sprites have to be depth sorted first. This can get really expensive (at one point 25% of the time in each frame was spent on depth sorting). How I optimized that will be the theme of a later post.
I again render the depth of each pixel to a depth buffer. The world depth buffer will be used for the z-combine with the particles, but also as input for the lighting shader.

World render target...

World depth target (lighter is farther away)...

3. Light Rendering

Before we combine the particle and the world render targets we first have to light the scene. Otherwise the particles would be dimmed as well and looking at how they are used for fire that would ruin the effect.
The lighting system is one of the more complex systems in Specter and will get a separate post as well. It's based on a blog post by soolstyle, but heavily modified, optimized and in some aspects simplified.
I render a quad for every light which is on screen, using the world depth buffer as input for a shader. In the shader I run a edge detection algorithm on the depth buffer to find ridges. The lights are rendered in additive mode. The lighting system supports point and spot lights at the moment.

Light buffer...

4. World/Light combine

To combine the lighting with the world I use a pixel shader that multiplies the two textures together and adds the ambient lighting. It get's tuned a little bit depending on how bright the scene is, but that's not too dramatic.

5. Particle/World combine

As mentioned earlier I combine the world and the particle render target using their depth buffers. This allows me to render particles behind parts of the world.
Basically, I render the particle render target over the world render target. A shader takes the two depth buffers as input and discards any pixel where the particle depth is larger than the world depth.

6. Bloom filter

The next step is a full screen bloom effect, which helps to blow out some highlights.

7. Distortion

I'll write another post about distortion but until then you can have a look at this blog post by Eric Wheeler. I do almost exactly what he does.

That's it for now. As I said I'll go more in depth about some aspects in future posts, so stay tuned!

irabonus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:54 AM »

Hey, we are now feature complete for the demo!
I spent a lot of time working on the boss fight and I think it turned out awesome Smiley The next few days will be filled with bug fixing and level design. While we probably won't get everything done by the 1st of August we should be able to release the finished demo next week!

I also made some pretty big changes to the website. I'm still not a web designer, but I started working with Adobe Edge and it helps a lot to instantly see the changes you make!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic