Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:00:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Work[Unity] Retro Low Poly Game - Need Team
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Unity] Retro Low Poly Game - Need Team  (Read 2918 times)
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »

Purpose

There's some charm in the low poly look that the PS1 pulled off. As our generation would say, it was "retro." But it was simple, and pulled off the look that Square was going for. And so I thought, "why not bring that flavor back?" A lot of indie games have done retro pixel art. But why stop there? Why not go further.

I'm a game developer who wants to fill in the missing niche in the market right now, that market particularly being a 3D turn based strategy game with a story to follow. Some of you might call this a "rpg." The 3d is to increase immersion, give a nostalgia charm, and to make it more market valuable. With hardly any companies out there bringing me the fulfillment of an engaging story and fun gameplay like they use to in this genre, I've decided to take it upon myself to make my own. And I'm hoping to bring people onto my team who feels the same way.

What is the game about

My idea is a game set in the contemporary setting. Guns would be weapons, but just like the Yakuza series, it will curb realism for the sake of fun. The game will be set in a kind of megacity dystopia where the player controls bounty hunters who pursue bounties inside this city. It's going to have a noir-like scenario, where the player interacts with both the corrupt and criminal underworld. I plan for jazz/ blues music to be the main part of the atmospheric ambiance to help give off that old noir feel, but with a twist of upbeat tunes. Therefore, this game is going to be just as much about displaying an atmosphere as much as a game. I want the player to be able to discover more story through the events, characters, and environment that surrounds them than through dialogue. Immersion is the key, and it can all be done without high poly models, long dialogue, or engaging orchestras.

Planning

Here is what I'm looking to do. This game will be made in Unity, for both convenience, and to allow it to be ported to various platforms other than PC. I could program the engine myself, but there's no point reinventing the wheel here. It'll let us focus just on the game content, with just enough  programming to get the gameplay we want out of it. Let me emphasize one point: this is a very hobbyist project. When I say that, I mean it is being made with the fact that not all of us will be able to put a lot of hours into this per week due to real life schedules, thus it's a game that will be built throughout the year. The ideal time input is a few hours per week. For those who work, that means probably spending two to three days, two or so hours each. With a meeting every week or so through Skype. This is the definition of part time indie.

Who Am I Looking For

Let's get to the positions I'm looking for. I'm a programmer, but I've decided to use Unity for the sake of ease, so I can write in C# for scripting. I'll be fulfilling roles all across the board. I'm capable of making 3D models in 3D Studio Max and UI design, so I'll be able to help whatever 3D modelers come aboard. However, I'll leave animation and rigging to more skilled modelers than myself. I'm looking for a small team to keep management down and cohesiveness tight. This is a great project for hobbyists or upcoming game developers, as we're all in it for the experience and to contribute a video game to the people who love playing them. Here are the open positions:
  • 3D Modeler (Character)
  • 3D Modeler (Environment)
  • Scenario Writer
  • Unity Programmer
  • Sound/ Music Composer

If you are interested in any of these positions, email me at [email protected] with samples of your work. If you have any questions, you can contact me there or here in this thread. Thank you.

My Blog
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic