Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:03:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonoKnight
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: MonoKnight  (Read 3199 times)
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2013, 01:49:08 AM »

Game Complete. Please check the link below this to download!

This topic has the download and screenshots!

And this is the actual zip download.

I figure I may as well start a devlog already since I do plan on finish this quickly hopefully.

I haven't fully figured out the story yet but it'll be pretty minimal.

Gameplay-wise, it's going to be like Legend of Zelda in terms of movement, attacking, and enemy design.

Puzzles won't be terribly difficult but again this is supposed to be a short project with which I can use the engine for future projects in a hopeful series that this game also starts [story-wise.]

I think that's enough chatter about the gist of the game, onto PICTURES well a gif and a mockup.

[TwinSword Glitch has a new life now but it's a secret so shhhhh]

[also if anyone knows how to fix Game Maker:Studio having weird graphical issues when you scale up the view let me know. It's not the interlope colors thing. I'll take a picture of it later on. But that's why the view size isn't exactly 256x240 like I'd want]

OK ONTO FUN TECHNICAL STUFF.

Basically, whenever I make games as of late, I've been using a [rather heavily] modified version of the Grandma Engine. This game does not use it at all. Infact I programmed this one from scratch [well as from scratch in Game Maker as you can get I guess] so it's been a bit of a learning experience for me.

I'm designing this with speedrunning in mind, but I won't include an ingame timer [probably]. However this line of thought has resulted in some design choices that I feel are interesting.

I think the best example right now is the movement! Basically you spend two frames moving a single pixel before you go at fullspeed [2 pixels/step]. For a normal player this isn't an issue but for a speedrunner you lose two frames which can add up if you're stopping and going. However, the counter for this isn't reset unless ALL movement keys are released. This allows you to continue moving in another direction without losing that tiny bit of momentum. Attacking also does not lose this momentum so yippee.
This is probably not the most interesting thing but I find it interesting so yeah. It's a lot more thought then what I normally put into game making though.

That's it for now! I'll be posting updates throughout this week as I make this game. Hopefully I'll be able to keep the steam going and finish by the end of the week!

By the by, the game is a single dungeon and the only upgrade you get is a passive item that like lets you strike ghosts and see invisible things or something it's SORTA story relevant???

I'm getting there, I only started this two days ago!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 05:20:52 PM by Mr. LL » Logged
kraed
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 05:36:48 AM »

Awesome, can't wait to see the badies, keep it up!!!

antoniodamala
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 06:21:16 AM »

YES GREAT YEA DO IT PLEASE YEA
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »

Today I programmed two enemies and doors that open once all enemies in the room are destroyed.

Also that should be the actual window size unless I figure out how to make GM:S not suck so much when it comes to resolutions.
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »

Great stuff, reminds me of Game Boy's Mystic Quest (first Seiken Densetsu).

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 08:53:23 AM »

Apologies for not posting more about this! I haven't really worked on it this week like I had hoped and had a bit of a moment yesterday where I couldn't do ANYTHING, but once I get home from work today it is back to work on this thing!

I also realized that for a single dungeon sort of thing, a 14x14 grid was a tad bit TOO big, so I'm cutting down on that severely which should reduce my workload a lot and thusly speed up development.

Still need to finish programming everything and actually come up with the boss and stuff too...

EDIT: Well today I managed to place all the tiles and solids and chests and [almost all the] doors as well as finish programming all the enemies and placing all of THOSE down more or less, so today was super productive.

Tomorrow/whenever I'll finish up by programming the remaining things and finish the graphics. I'll make a new post when I have some gifs to share!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:38:36 PM by Mr. LL » Logged
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 10:34:49 PM »

but before I bed, I'm going to double post for GIFS

I'm working on making the hitboxes a bit better but here is the day's progress more or less.

Got them enemies programmed and tiles all placed and everything working!
Tom Felshmoon
Level 0

Unicorn Rider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 02:48:05 AM »

Mr. LL, this is so focking cool and I can't wait to play this.

Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 11:19:49 AM »

just got the final boss and a title screen and probably credits to program now yeehaw
olli
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 02:15:13 AM »

this looks great, really effective ute of the single-color scheme!!
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »

THIS GAME IS NOW FINISHED.

Well, that was quite a satisfying project to work on! I can't say that it is perfect [there's a bunch of things I could've done better] but it's been fun and still quite a bit of a learning experience.

Here is the download link.

I'll make a proper announcement post over in Townhall!
Abraxas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 06:50:36 AM »

You should edit your first thread to include new screenshots and exe.
Well well, let's see
DantronLesotho
Level 2

Video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »

Oooh, nice! Going to play that tonight!
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 09:01:32 AM »

Inability to move diagonally really screwed me up .. D:

I found it was really difficult to hit the first boss w/o taking damage in the process.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic