Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:44:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames you can't remember the names of
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Games you can't remember the names of  (Read 382260 times)
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:28:13 PM »

Before you ask, you might be able to find your game with MobyGames. http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 05:03:15 AM by Derek » Logged

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Powergloved Andy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 05:32:16 PM »

Well, what about that one game with the dude and he had the thing. You know.  WTF
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 05:43:17 PM »

Ages ago, I had this DOS game, a first person space fight sim, where you could fly around in space and seamlessly enter the atmosphere of small planetoids, sometimes with bases on them. There were no limits to the gamespace - the stars in the distance were, with much time, reachable (though I was disappointed to find that, upon reaching them, they were naught more than a flat sprite that constantly faced the screen). I think there were space stations you could fly to as well. I think it was also mission-based.

Anyway, what I remember most is just thinking it was awesome that you could fly around in so much space and visit planetoids and stuff. Now that I think about it, though, it was just a big empty space with some spheres floating in it. Still though, if anyone knows the name of the game, or what I'm talking about, that'd be great.

Tobasco Panda
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 05:58:47 PM »

I remember a top down shooter on the NES where you were either a helicopter or a jet (not a choice, I just can't remember which).  What makes it stand out in my mind is that there were specific areas in the level where you would have to drop supplies to bases on the ground. I also seem to remember buying upgrades for the engine, special weapons, etc.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 06:21:29 PM »

Skofo, that game wouldn't be Bubba 'n' Stix, would it?
Holy shit, you are amazing.

THANK YOU!!! I've been looking for this for SO long! For the longest time I thought it was "Joe 'n' Stix". Thanks so much!

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 06:43:55 PM »

Ages ago, I had this DOS game, a first person space fight sim, where you could fly around in space and seamlessly enter the atmosphere of small planetoids, sometimes with bases on them. There were no limits to the gamespace - the stars in the distance were, with much time, reachable (though I was disappointed to find that, upon reaching them, they were naught more than a flat sprite that constantly faced the screen). I think there were space stations you could fly to as well. I think it was also mission-based.

Anyway, what I remember most is just thinking it was awesome that you could fly around in so much space and visit planetoids and stuff. Now that I think about it, though, it was just a big empty space with some spheres floating in it. Still though, if anyone knows the name of the game, or what I'm talking about, that'd be great.
Elite?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 06:55:15 PM »

Nah, sounds more like Frontier or First Encounter.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 06:57:35 PM »

There was once this game which was on the computer... probably DOS. It was black and white in kind of a Gameboy style IIRC. It was a sidescroller, set in a castle. I think it played out something like a metroidvania - certainly you could get new abilities. Your arm stuck out in front of you and you could tilt it up and down to aim, something like the guns in Worms. At first you could shoot rocks out of your arm and later on you got fireballs.
It was quite open-ended - I remember that I could never beat even a single level, but I could still travel to lots of different areas and fail at them too. It might have been really hard or I might have just been crap at it.
I distinctly remember a part where there was a tiny bump on the floor and if you walked over it, you tripped up and took damage, which was the most annoying thing in the world. There was also a pit that you had to jump over, and if you fell in it you ended up in a different area, a dungeon.
The ultimate goal of the game was to get a collection of magical orbs and put them on pedestals at the center of the castle to get in to the final boss's room.
There was also an area where you got a jetpack, I think.

Return to Dark Castle! Thanks, Benzido!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:03:17 AM by ©ĦﺏŦﺏρ » Logged

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 07:23:10 PM »

Alright, here's one that's been on my mind recently...

It was an old Genesis game, a 2-player space fighter that controlled like asteroids.  Each player controlled one of the teams (I think it was a republic vs. rebels kind of set-up), which had a number (eight?) of ships to choose from, each with its own stats/weaponry/special abilities/whatever.  The players would pick a ship, fight one another until one of them was destroyed, then move onto another ship until one player ran out completely.

I also remember that each team had one really powerful warship, that there was one ship that sang (?), and that one team had a suicide-bomber ship.
Michael Buckley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:34:36 PM »

(Unfortunately I can't answer any of the queries posted so far, so I'm posting my own.)

Back when I was a lad we had an Apple II at my school. It had many games like Mario Bros., Montezuma's Revenge, Bard's Tale and Moon Patrol. One of the disks was a multi-game disk that was probably pirated. It had a game on it that was invoked by the title ICBM, but since I have not been able to find the game anywhere online by that name, I assume that the actual title was different.

This game is notICBM Strike, a similarly-titled game for the Apple II. It's more of a side-scroller where, if I recall, you guide an ICBM from left to right, avoiding the things that want to shoot you down.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 09:41:08 PM by Michael Buckley » Logged
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 12:12:28 PM »

Alright, here's one that's been on my mind recently...

It was an old Genesis game, a 2-player space fighter that controlled like asteroids.  Each player controlled one of the teams (I think it was a republic vs. rebels kind of set-up), which had a number (eight?) of ships to choose from, each with its own stats/weaponry/special abilities/whatever.  The players would pick a ship, fight one another until one of them was destroyed, then move onto another ship until one player ran out completely.

I also remember that each team had one really powerful warship, that there was one ship that sang (?), and that one team had a suicide-bomber ship.
Star Control 1.

Download DOS version (ran smoother). (review by me) Then look forward to the remake.

The whole time I'm reading your description I'm going "Star Control 1? I thought everyone loved Star Control and knew it. He can't be asking about Star Control 1. Could be Star Control. Yup, yup, yup... singing ship. Holy $#!%, it is Star Control 1! How could he have ever forgotten that game.

FYI, I still play Star Control 1 from time to time. It's a game I just keep coming back to.

(Unfortunately I can't answer any of the queries posted so far, so I'm posting my own.)

Back when I was a lad we had an Apple II at my school. It had many games like Mario Bros., Montezuma's Revenge, Bard's Tale and Moon Patrol. One of the disks was a multi-game disk that was probably pirated. It had a game on it that was invoked by the title ICBM, but since I have not been able to find the game anywhere online by that name, I assume that the actual title was different.

This game is notICBM Strike, a similarly-titled game for the Apple II. It's more of a side-scroller where, if I recall, you guide an ICBM from left to right, avoiding the things that want to shoot you down.
Sounds like desert storm command, but that was a DOS game.

Elite?
IIRC this game was just a tech demo, you couldn't actually beat it or accomplish anything. And the game had some strange mouse control that you needed to move your mouse like a joystick and recenter it if you wanted to stop spinning around and around. It was inspirational, but I don't remember the name.

My turn. There was a space shooter with very lo res polygon graphics and spheres. One of the first levels had you shooing asteroids coming in to protect a space station. I seem to remember you could jump from ship to ship at will, too.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 01:04:08 PM »

To consolidate:

If anyone played web based empire games in the late 90s, maybe they could help me out.

It featured a lot of pre-rendered graphics for the units, a galaxy map, and a market for unit purchases which changed their cost based on their current popularity.

My vague memories of the units available include a giant mecha, warrior monks, and various ships. I believe there was a backstory to the units, such as which race of galactic arms dealers produced them.

Other vague impressions include the site featuring a mostly maroon colored interface.

I want to say that the warrior monks had a name similar to Ur-Quan (starcontrol2) or Tir-Quan (galciv2) but it is obviously not those. Other than that I can't recall a single proper name from the game, or I might have found it myself by now.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Renton
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008, 01:09:44 PM »

I remember playing a demo. It played like X-Com and had cartoonish characters. I also remember maps being blueprint-ish.

Shadow Watch
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:48:27 AM by Sir William J. Renton OBE » Logged
Michael Buckley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 01:28:57 PM »

Sounds like desert storm command, but that was a DOS game.

Yeah, based on that description, it does sound like Desert Storm Command, but there are some pretty significant differences. It was definitely an Apple II game. Again, it's been over 15 years since I played the game, but if I recall, the entire game was about guiding the missile. In desert Storm Command, you also control a soldier for part of the game. In this game, the missile never rotated. It stayed horizontal, and you could move it laterally up and down, but there was only one sprite for the missile which never rotated.

I also seem to remember that game teaching me that ICBM stands for Intercontinental Ballistic Missile, but I can't remember if that's in the game or if I asked someone about it.
DjangoDurango
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008, 12:10:01 AM »

When I was in school, we had Macintosh computers. On them, they had a typing game that starred a girl (I want to say her name was Kiki) who went to different places around the world and did tourist-y type things. The only level I remember clearly was one in which you had to type quickly and correctly in order to raise (or maybe lower) the water in the Panama Canal so she could pass in her boat, but the other levels were all something like that.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008, 01:42:22 AM »

When I was in school, we had Macintosh computers. On them, they had a typing game that starred a girl (I want to say her name was Kiki) who went to different places around the world and did tourist-y type things. The only level I remember clearly was one in which you had to type quickly and correctly in order to raise (or maybe lower) the water in the Panama Canal so she could pass in her boat, but the other levels were all something like that.
Shocked I remember that game. Wait, no, I remember reading about that game. Hold on. *searches for book* Damn, I can't find it. Never mind, I guess.

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008, 07:29:30 AM »

The whole time I'm reading your description I'm going "Star Control 1? I thought everyone loved Star Control and knew it. He can't be asking about Star Control 1. Could be Star Control. Yup, yup, yup... singing ship. Holy $#!%, it is Star Control 1! How could he have ever forgotten that game.

FYI, I still play Star Control 1 from time to time. It's a game I just keep coming back to.

Heh, that seems to be it, thanks.
Sorry to have forgotten it, but I only played the game all of once.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008, 01:38:23 PM »

Oh shit, I think I found another game that I've been looking for forever!

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/252397.html

What's that game with the baby with the club before Cool Spot?

SOLVED'D.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:05:51 PM by Skofo » Logged

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008, 03:25:59 PM »

Chuck rock 2 : Son of chuck

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Souseiseki
Level 0

so fackin pised of

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008, 04:43:36 PM »

this 3d game, for windows, where you drove a car in first person with 2d cockpit, it shot 3d opaque polygon lasers, its graphics kinda sucked (a city at night drenched in yellow lighting with huge yellow flares around street lights), and no it's not redline (you could not get out of car.) played it briefly in July 1999, not seen it since.

$
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic