Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:52:37 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames you can't remember the names of
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Games you can't remember the names of  (Read 385488 times)
The-Imp
« Reply #80 on: November 13, 2008, 03:43:46 PM »

Battle Beast?
I don't know... Let me check!
Gnarf
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2008, 03:45:01 PM »

More like robots than monsters, I suppose, but I dunno.
The-Imp
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »

Holy Jesus!

Thats it!
 Smiley
I couldn't ever play though, I was like 5 and had no idea how the heck I should've played...
 :D
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2008, 04:25:51 PM »

Oh man, I'm so glad this thread exists because I have a legitimate game mystery that has been haunting me for years.

So I remember playing this game in 3rd and 4th grade at school, which would put us at 1996 or so. It was a really open ended game about marine ecology or more specifically what fish eat what. You could choose to play as any fish in the game and you would swim around and eat fish smaller than you, unless you were something that at plankton in which case you went around eating plankton and sea cucumbers. I remember the graphics being really detailed and vibrant (but im sure if I played it again now it would look like crap). There was also a faux-campaign, where you started off as the smallest organism (i'm pretty sure it was a sea cucumber or a crab or something) and you had to survive and eat and work your way up the food chain.

I think it was the first sandbox game I ever played and it made a huge impression on me. I've searched through tons of abandonware and all the old educational software I can find to try and figure out its name, but so far I have turned up nothing.

Anyone else remember this game or did I just dream it up>

Aww MAN. I think I've played this, many moons ago, but I've got no idea as to what it is. I guess, just confirming that it existed. It was kind of... edu-gamey. But a good one.
PaleFox
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2008, 04:26:01 PM »

So I remember playing this game in 3rd and 4th grade at school, which would put us at 1996 or so. It was a really open ended game about marine ecology or more specifically what fish eat what. You could choose to play as any fish in the game and you would swim around and eat fish smaller than you, unless you were something that at plankton in which case you went around eating plankton and sea cucumbers. I remember the graphics being really detailed and vibrant (but im sure if I played it again now it would look like crap). There was also a faux-campaign, where you started off as the smallest organism (i'm pretty sure it was a sea cucumber or a crab or something) and you had to survive and eat and work your way up the food chain.

I think it was the first sandbox game I ever played and it made a huge impression on me. I've searched through tons of abandonware and all the old educational software I can find to try and figure out its name, but so far I have turned up nothing.

Anyone else remember this game or did I just dream it up>

I do! You're thinking of Odell Down Under, right? I loved that game so much as a kid, but I can't find my copy of it anymore so it may just be nostalgia. You're right, though, it was something special. Anyway, here's the wikipedia article on it, hope this helps, yes?
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »

I do! You're thinking of Odell Down Under, right? I loved that game so much as a kid, but I can't find my copy of it anymore so it may just be nostalgia. You're right, though, it was something special. Anyway, here's the wikipedia article on it, hope this helps, yes?

Oh man! Thats totally it! Thank you so much! I've been trying to figure this out for years now! Now begins my quest to try and track down a copy to see if its really as good as I remember it being.

EDIT: I found it, if anyone is interested you can download it here:
http://takegame.com/arcade/htm/odell.htm
now lets just see if I can get it to run...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 05:26:50 PM by mrfredman » Logged
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2008, 09:51:53 AM »

Holy Jesus!

Thats it!
 Smiley
I couldn't ever play though, I was like 5 and had no idea how the heck I should've played...
 :D
Consider yourself lucky. It sucked. It was like punching underwater. No, it was like punching under peanutbutter. There felt like almost no relationship between the buttons you hit and the actions of your character. In the end random buttons mashing was usually your best option.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2008, 10:47:35 AM »

Holy shit! Battle Beast!! I totally forgot about that game. Wowee.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Barbu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2008, 03:21:30 PM »

Here's my request:When i was younger in the 90's,i remember a DOS(i think!) game that i had(well,the trial on a floppy disk).The menu was simple,you chose a directory on you hard drive then you play in it.Top down view of a spaceship,asteroid like,and i remember there was some directory that was races.Sometimes,virus infected files and you had to destroy them instead of retrieveing them for cash.You could destroy other spaceships that wanted to pick program up too but some kind of internet space cop came a you,grabbed you with a hook and transorted you to a gate.Then you paid a due to a super huge judge computer and everything was okay and you could play normally again.I remember dark holes that you could get into and transported you to a strange demon or something like that.There was a spaceship editor as well to make your own....ho and some of the spaceships you could choose to play where wacky,one of them was a duck!

Thanks in advance for your efforts to fulfill my request!  Gentleman

PS:Sorry for my bad english Tongue

Solved->Operation:Inner Space
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:50:53 PM by Barbu » Logged
Souseiseki
Level 0

so fackin pised of

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2008, 03:37:52 PM »

That one's called Inner Space.

It had an amusingly false 'we invented the screensaver and this is our bullshit story Berkeley stole our flying toasters etc' around it.

$
Barbu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2008, 03:44:25 PM »

That one's called Inner Space.

It had an amusingly false 'we invented the screensaver and this is our bullshit story Berkeley stole our flying toasters etc' around it.

Wow that's a fast response Shocked

Thank you SOOO much,you are my hero of the day. Beer!
Renton
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2008, 03:47:01 PM »

I remember that game! It was awesome (kinda)!
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2008, 03:56:06 PM »

Okay, so this isn't legitimately a game, and I think I know the name of it anyway, but I can't find any information about it, and am beginning to doubt my memories of the thing.

It was an old DOS program of some sort; I knew it as, if I remember correctly, "faces".  You'd type in "faces #" and the program would create that many little ASCII faces right there in the DOS prompt.  They'd move around on their own, bumping into each other as well as any text that was on the screen, making little PC speaker bumping noises as they did.  You could also hold either shift button (?) to make them go in little circles, or Alt or Ctrl to get them to jitter around, or move in a straight line, or something.  I also remember that these little faces would stick around if you opened other programs, and would occasionally mess things up pretty badly (though I may be mistaken on those facts).

So, did this thing really exist?  And is there any information about it anywhere?
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2008, 04:07:06 PM »

Good God, I actually remember that game, also!  I played the demo and haven't thought about it since.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2008, 12:35:19 AM »

Oh man! Thats totally it! Thank you so much! I've been trying to figure this out for years now! Now begins my quest to try and track down a copy to see if its really as good as I remember it being.

Oh my god! I remember that!  Kiss we only ever had the shareware version iirc. Man, downloading it now.

mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2008, 01:08:11 AM »

Oh my god! I remember that!  Kiss we only ever had the shareware version iirc. Man, downloading it now.

I never managed to get it running successfully, so if you get it running let me know. The version I found was totally incompatible with vista, it hinted at XP compatibility, but my XP machine died a month back, so I'm still waiting for a chance to relive my childhood experiences.
Snake
Pixelhead
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2008, 10:11:29 AM »

There's actually one I've been wondering about for ages.

All I remember is an elf-like character sitting on some rocks with a waterfall in the background, and you could equip the guy with stuff you buy, like helmets, bows and shields. It was all detailed pixel art, I reckon it was a dos game of some sort. The screen was for equiping soldiers you bought, so I think it was some kind of fantasy strategy game like Might and Magic. All I know is, I was facinated by the whole buying spesific weapons thing.

Anyone got any clues?

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2008, 10:32:06 AM »

Good God, I actually remember that game, also!  I played the demo and haven't thought about it since.
I was awesome, in theory. And it had really good looking artwork and design, so it looked good. It had an almost Day of the Tentacle feel to it. But when you play it, like I said, it sucked. They'd have been better not releasing a demo so that folks had to buy it based on the box art and they'd have sold a ton more. I think that demo did them more harm than good. I actually got the full game as a freebe with something one time and beat it just so I could say I did. i wonder if I still have it. Should do an LP of it.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Gnarf
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure I still have my copy lying around somewhere. I played it again not that long ago. It is not a very good game.

I did play the demo before getting the game (for some birthday or something). I suppose I couldn't tell me sucking at the game from the game sucking. Oh my.

I was awesome, in theory.

That's a good quote. I like it.
Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2008, 11:01:26 PM »

I never managed to get it running successfully, so if you get it running let me know. The version I found was totally incompatible with vista, it hinted at XP compatibility, but my XP machine died a month back, so I'm still waiting for a chance to relive my childhood experiences.
Definitely works on my XP machine, can't say if it works on Vista though. Man, it's exactly as I remember. haha, love it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic