Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 01:50:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesOfficial "Talk To A Moderator" Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Official "Talk To A Moderator" Thread  (Read 74219 times)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2016, 02:21:12 PM »

We need a Frisk smiley

Cave Story

Gomez

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2016, 02:51:48 PM »

what we really is for people to stop posting in the "talk to a moderator" thread about stuff mods have no control over.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2016, 02:54:38 PM »

Then where is the "Talk to an admin" thread?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2016, 03:26:35 PM »

the admins cannot be "talked" to. they can only be summoned through a secret occult ritual described in an ancient text from a lost north african civilization said to have survived the destruction of the library of alexandria in 642 and susequently hidden in the tomb of an unknown pharaoh where it may or may not have been stolen by grave robbers in the intervening millenia.
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2016, 05:38:13 PM »

Here's a screen grab from my topic in business. I don't think I said anything to provoke this type of response? can you guys take a look  Who, Me?
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2016, 05:44:48 PM »

unrealistic expectations is quite accurate though

Canned Turkey
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2016, 08:24:38 PM »

bakkusa is just trolling.
But honestly, he's being rude for a established reason.
Your ideas are not well defined, and in the current from you've outlined, wouldn't work.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2016, 08:29:18 PM »

well there was a lead up on the thread, it didn't pop up in this message as screencap directly

Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »

bakkusa is just trolling.
But honestly, he's being rude for a established reason.
Your ideas are not well defined, and in the current from you've outlined, wouldn't work.

I thought I was supposed to report users for calling me degrading things on this forum? Am I not supposed to? Why do you even have those rules I'm doing my best to follow? Is this forum just a place for new users to sign up and be ridiculed for "not explaining their idea clear enough"? I've been working in the game industry for over 8 years. I was able to find great support from other forums which helped me to build my indie game. I had heard great things about this forum but now it seems to be a very childish place. If the moderators don't intend to resolve issues on this site, please let me know and I will delete my account.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2016, 07:29:56 PM »

You have no idea how many time I have been ridiculed and this is not it imho, that's one user and that's one post, that's not enough for conclusion, it's not yet disruptive and I'm sure bakkusa have move on already.

This forum has people ranging from kids to veteran with varying level of maturity and skills and motivation (from hobbyist to business), there is plenty tolerance and help to build your game. Just ignore the occasional slip, unless there is repeated offense. It's not a professional gathering.

And this forum have already proven itself as a lot of great games have originated and gain momentum here.

If you get salty over one single altercation you won't be fine here. The number of drama has been greatly reduced and one mod is rather trigger happy, but this does not constitute enough offense IMHO.

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2016, 07:46:39 PM »

I think it's completely fair to complain about bakkusa's behavior in that thread. Reporting it is a completely reasonable thing to do. It may not something that should be acted on from one data point. But I also think it's important to take it seriously if new members feel unwelcome or attacked.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2016, 07:48:12 PM »

Jimym GIMBERT-

Thanks, I'll keep an open mind about this forum  Shrug Can you tell me if this is pretty typical type of feedback I can expect to receive here? I haven't made many posts and the one which has gotten the most attention seems to be mostly discouraging comments. I'd rather not participate if this is the usual type interaction I can expect?
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2016, 07:49:16 PM »

I think it's completely fair to complain about bakkusa's behavior in that thread. Reporting it is a completely reasonable thing to do. It may not something that should be acted on from one data point. But I also think it's important to take it seriously if new members feel unwelcome or attacked.

Thanks, really appreciate that Smiley
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2016, 07:50:36 PM »

sorry, but i don't see what the big deal is. you posted an idea and people criticized your idea (and pretty constructively too from what i'm reading).

it was rude of bakkusa to call you stupid and he shouldn't have done that. but i don't understand what you think the mods should do about it. do you want us to ban him or something?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2016, 07:56:01 PM »

Can you tell me if this is pretty typical type of feedback I can expect to receive here? I haven't made many posts and the one which has gotten the most attention seems to be mostly discouraging comments. I'd rather not participate if this is the usual type interaction I can expect?

nope, definitely not. i'm afraid you just kinda started off on the wrong foot. look at the devlog forum or the art threads which are like 90% encouragement. we don't curb negative feedback either tho unless it starts getting out of hand.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »

it was rude of bakkusa to call you stupid and he shouldn't have done that. but i don't understand what you think the mods should do about it. do you want us to ban him or something?

It's completely reasonable to call attention to someone behaving in a hostile way. It's also completely reasonable to respond with "he shouldn't have done that" and leave it at that; unless something more happens or you get repeated complains. But a community tone is largely set by expectations and the expectation that you're supposed to suck things up isn't a great one imho.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2016, 08:05:19 PM »

sorry, but i don't see what the big deal is. you posted an idea and people criticized your idea (and pretty constructively too from what i'm reading).

I don't know exactly what you're supposed to do. I thought you weren't supposed to write intentionally cruel comments so I have been trying to deal with this situation like an adult. Creating indie games, or presenting a new idea can be a pretty intimidating thing. I personally would have a (no tolerance) for any kind of malicious discouragement but I just figured I would report it rather than writing cruel things back. I'm not that hurt, just trying to be an adult Gentleman
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2016, 08:23:32 PM »

Jimym GIMBERT-

Thanks, I'll keep an open mind about this forum  Shrug Can you tell me if this is pretty typical type of feedback I can expect to receive here? I haven't made many posts and the one which has gotten the most attention seems to be mostly discouraging comments. I'd rather not participate if this is the usual type interaction I can expect?

I would say it's typical for PRECISELY the kind of pattern the thread was in:

1. Person post outrageously optimist but widely discuss things with obvious flaws
2. people point at the flaws constructively (reality check)
3. person dismiss the flaws and double down on idea that is now apparently blue sky dream.
4. people get annoyed because it's just an idea that look baseless, they keep pointing and developing the flaws
5. person feel threaten because of people pointing at the flaws, is annoyed by people focusing on that.
6. people (generally one) call out the person in a rude manner as what they think is a wake up call from a fantasy.
7. person is mad at people not like fantastic idea
8. people dismiss person as yet another idea guy that waste their time (their is zillion out there), idea are cheap, execution is what matter.

For example consider you would have post something about making an MMO, you will see that exact same ramping.

Sometime it happen because of different understanding, miscommunication, ignorance or whatever. The solution is to address the concern as soon as they arrive, not dismissing them. It works also outside of this forums, it's not specific.

If people point at a flaws, it's not to discourage you, it's to point you in the right direction, if you solve or at least explore the flaws you will find a solution. That's what oats did, he find a solution because he focused and addressed the flaws people kept pointing at (ie evaporation of value through fees). Negativity isn't bad, it can constructive, look at if they point at a flaws or a history, both are addressed in different way, ie what makes you different that you will trump history (show you understand the problem, the context and what was missing in previous implementation, ie that you did homeworks before), if there is a flaws, start a discussion around it, make analysis, find new problematic or reframe the problem in a helpful maneer.

- CQFD -

Also if someone is being rude, no need to be rude in return, you can simply point that they were rude, but also see if they have a point aside of the rudeness.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:29:38 PM by Jimym GIMBERT » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »

I don't know exactly what you're supposed to do. I thought you weren't supposed to write intentionally cruel comments so I have been trying to deal with this situation like an adult. Creating indie games, or presenting a new idea can be a pretty intimidating thing. I personally would have a (no tolerance) for any kind of malicious discouragement but I just figured I would report it rather than writing cruel things back. I'm not that hurt, just trying to be an adult Gentleman

i guess i don't really see what was malicious about the replies you got other than that one insult by bakkusa. but ok, fair enough.  Smiley

edit: also yeah, it's definitely a good thing that you reported this. sorry for being a little flippant in my earlier posts.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 08:32:40 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2016, 01:18:57 AM »

[quote
edit: also yeah, it's definitely a good thing that you reported this. sorry for being a little flippant in my earlier posts.
[/quote]

No problem, I appreciate your understanding  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic