Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:08:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesInactive Subforums
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Inactive Subforums  (Read 11874 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 01:05:20 AM »

feedback is when you want people to play your game and give you feedback for how to improve it

devlogs is when you want to record what you have changed in your game (a development log). devlogs is a record of your progress, not a place for people to give you feedback

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 02:13:29 AM »

Although, the devlogs forum is usually used for general project threads. I think it's more convenient to have it all in one place though, so I'm not complaining.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 04:22:58 AM »

yeah one forum for both would be enough, people are going to give feedback anyway and the dev wil listen to it or not, but it's true that those two forums should be one

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 04:29:13 AM »

i think that'd create a problem because you won't know which topics actually have playable demos or not if you're looking to try out some new indie games. right now, to post a game in feedback, you *have* to have a demo. devlogs is for when you don't have a demo (you can have a demo for devlogs, but it's not required)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 04:34:31 AM »

we can add an icon,,or they just say it in the title

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 04:37:52 AM »

there are already icons for the 10%/20%/etc. done thing, so it'd conflict with that. adding it in the title would be self-regulating and confusing. i think it's fine now, if the "problem" is only caused by people who don't recognize the difference between the two forums, just rename the forums to something clearer

e.g.

rename feedback to "demo feedback"
rename devlogs to "development logs"

it'd be clearer that way

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 04:51:51 AM »

Based on the brainstorming in this thread, how about this? It'd be clear what goes where, and a separate category would bring extra attention to games. Because, well, indie game forums.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 04:57:28 AM »

i'm not sure a game should get to be in the hall of fame merely be becoming complete. we'd have a lot of bad games in the hall of fame if that were the case. hall of fame leads to the expectation that it's a curated list rather than just anyone can put anything there by calling their game done

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 05:28:21 AM »

mixing feedback and devlogs is a bad idea

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2013, 06:10:50 AM »

i'm not sure a game should get to be in the hall of fame merely be becoming complete. we'd have a lot of bad games in the hall of fame if that were the case. hall of fame leads to the expectation that it's a curated list rather than just anyone can put anything there by calling their game done
the concept of a subforum for finished games is good, we all know most games don't get finished.
Maybe there should be a  requirement that the game must have been started here as a devlog or sthg. then it becomes eligible for the hall of fame when finished.
We don't need curated list, who would get to chose the games to feature? rewarding devs who can finish a game is a better idea

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2013, 07:10:55 AM »

mixing feedback and devlogs is a bad idea
Yeah, the post rate is so high at devlogs that it would be hard to get actual feedback before getting buried to the second page.

I support the idea of having devlog, hall of fame and feedback as a top categories. Actually for some reason I never even noticed finished board. I thought that finished games were supposed to post in announcements forum  Huh?

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2013, 08:48:20 AM »

Thinking of archiving/merging some of the less trafficked subforums:

Collaborations/Unpaid Work - These are very similar and both relatively inactive. I'd like to merge Unpaid Work into Collaborations.

Finished - Merge it back into DevLogs. It's not working out and requires too much work from the mods.

Indie Brawl - Stick it in Archived Projects.

Game Club - Stick it in Archived Projects.

Thoughts?
Collaborations/Unpaid Work - Agree.

Finished, I'd say, get one new mod/power user just for this task alone.

Indie Brawl - Game Club - Stick'em!

Yeah.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »

Maybe there should be a  requirement that the game must have been started here as a devlog or sthg. then it becomes eligible for the hall of fame when finished.

I thought it already had that requirement?

You could also rename "Feedback" to "Playtesting".

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 08:41:51 AM »

Alright - as you can see, changes have been made!

DevLogs is its own big forum, which it deserves to be. I made Finished a child of that, since it's directly tied to DevLogs. I think Finished will get more traffic as the only child of DevLogs now.

Feedback is now "Playtesting" (under the Feedback group).

The rest of the changes no one seemed to have any problems with so I went ahead with them.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 09:30:08 AM »

What about a Graveyard child for Devlogs for cancelled/on hiatus projects? Might be too much work for mods moving things back and forth though.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »

Looks good Beer!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:50:12 AM by Belimoth » Logged

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 10:55:04 AM »

DevLogs is its own big forum, which it deserves to be. I made Finished a child of that, since it's directly tied to DevLogs. I think Finished will get more traffic as the only child of DevLogs now.

Feedback is now "Playtesting" (under the Feedback group).

Cool, sounds like a functional solution. Games get more promotion now, the connection between Devlogs and Finished is clearer, and having a separate playtesting area is probably for the best after all.

Edit: forgot to merge Unpaid Work with Collaborations? Ah, UW's just being "phased out"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 11:01:28 AM by sublinimal » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »

Edit: forgot to merge Unpaid Work with Collaborations? Ah, UW's just being "phased out"

It turns out there's not a good way to merge forums with SMF 1.x.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2013, 02:21:58 PM »

Well I suppose you'll just have to move all the topics.

Manually.

one

by

one

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »

I like these changes. Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print