Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:30:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 27 — Coming August 23rd-26th
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 27 — Coming August 23rd-26th  (Read 29254 times)
ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« on: July 31, 2013, 09:15:38 PM »

Is it too early to make this thread? I think not.

Mark your calendars for another Ludum Dare!

This will be my 8th in a row  Wizard

Edit: Compo Link!

Conker534
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:42:14 PM »

I've never done one before but I think i'd like to do one, if I have time of course.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 06:26:03 AM »

Hell yes, gonna be in again.

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 07:50:14 AM »

It is never too early to make plans for Ludum Dare. Especially asking time off work to recover and seeing the slightly terrifiedimpressed look in your coworkers eyes when you tell them what you are about to do.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 11:42:49 AM »

seeing the slightly terrifiedimpressed look in your coworkers eyes when you tell them what you are about to do.

People's reaction to "Yeah, I'm gonna make a game in 48hours this weekend" is always great.

Yammo
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 09:32:05 AM »

I participated in Ludum Dare #24 and before I refused to believe it was possible to produce as much work as I had seen of some of my developer friends. Regardless, I participated and produced a large amount of work, to my surprise.

Apparently I haven't learned, I am once again questioning how I did it then and how I am going to do it now.

It's as if you almost entire some timeless warp field after about 15 hours.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »

I wonder how it's possible that almost always when LD is arranged I'm going to have important exam on following Monday  Lips Sealed

Irock
Level 5

why's my avatar so big

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:24:40 AM »

This is gonna be my second one. Last time I made a generic action platformer and I wasn't really happy with that. So this time I hope to actually make something original. I mean, what's the point in making a game in such a short time period if you're not going to try new things?

Anyway, I can't wait!

Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 07:23:21 AM »

Last time I fucked up my sleep schedule and was a zombie for the second day. I learnt a lesson - all-nighters are for the second day only (which should have been obvious, seeing there's no advantage to an all-nighter on the first day anyway).

I still have no confidence that I can make a game in 48 hours though. What other people manage to do in that timeframe amazes me, and I'm not sure how they do it.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 02:28:47 PM »

We do out best to limit the scope of our development and work with technologies that we are comfortable with. Ludum Dare is not the time to try something you have never done before (unless it is complete a project). It is the time to do something you know how to do faster.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 02:50:24 PM »

We do out best to limit the scope of our development and work with technologies that we are comfortable with. Ludum Dare is not the time to try something you have never done before (unless it is complete a project). It is the time to do something you know how to do faster.
Yea, I'm looking forward to making a stupid game and not worrying about it too much.

This will be my second (first last time); hoping to make something more overt & silly.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:25:38 PM by paulmcgg » Logged
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »

I would say that Ludum Dare is a nice time to try new stuff like a new genre, a new mechanic or a new art style that you never did before. But not a good time to learn a new programming language or software.

Also, if you end up stuck on something for more than 2 hours (like some feature you want to add to your game but don't know how to program), cut it out or find a way around it.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:58:03 PM »

I may be down if I can manage finish all my work before it starts. Which I probably can. And of course with the ever-present stipulation that the theme doesn't suck.

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:49:49 AM »

Seems pretty likely that "10 seconds" will win the theme voting. It sounds like a fun theme though, I'd be fine with it. It's up for interpretation which part of your game incorporates 10 seconds, so I could see it resulting in plenty of creative entries.
bitserum
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »

I'm not a big fan of the 10 seconds theme, as I was really cheering for some more abstract themes. But this second round of voting had overwhelmingly negative results all over.

Anyway this will be my first participation, jamming with a friend.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 08:19:06 AM »

10 seconds doesn't do much for me either. Death is useful notsomuch either.
Shame about round 2. I quite liked sacrifice, silence, void, and trust. They're open to wide interpretation, don't imply any particular mechanic, and are evocative. 10 seconds and death is useful seem like they'd lead to lots of games revolving around particular mechanics.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »

I love 10 seconds. I'd like to make a 10 second long game.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »

I can see a lot of WarioWare clones.

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 03:20:15 AM »

Last time I fucked up my sleep schedule and was a zombie for the second day. I learnt a lesson - all-nighters are for the second day only (which should have been obvious, seeing there's no advantage to an all-nighter on the first day anyway).

I still have no confidence that I can make a game in 48 hours though. What other people manage to do in that timeframe amazes me, and I'm not sure how they do it.

I'm absolutely amazed by some people, too, but what they're doing comes from tons of practice, and not some magic incantation.

I failed my first and third LDs, but I managed to enter on my 2nd and 4th.  The keys are:

Know your tools.  You don't have time to learn.

Stick to things you know.  You don't have time to learn.

Keep it simple.  You can create interesting interactions with very simple mechanics.  Unity's way of using components helps a lot with this since you can keep features separate and re-use them.  For instance, if your enemy movement, weapon and ammo scripts are separate, you can end up with walking, swimming and flying for movement, crossbows and longbows for weapons, and normal, flaming and life-stealing arrows for ammo.  That's 18 different enemies from 8 scripts.  As you add more scripts, you multiple instead of add.

Know your scope.  Knowing how much of each task you can accomplish in a few hours will help you determine the scope of the game.  For instance, I have *no* clue how long level building takes for a proper pixelated 2d platformer because I've never done it.  It would be crazy for me to plan one as I'd most assuredly run out of time.  Instead, I made the levels out of 3D blocks and gave them some color, then made a few levels from that.

You don't have time to decide, except at the beginning.  Spending an hour or 2 picking your idea is normal, and lets you think it through.  After that, you have to just go go go.  If something seems like a good idea and will be easy/quick to implement, just do it!  Don't bother wondering how to do it best or most efficient.  You don't have time for that.

And finally, failing a few times is normal.  It's better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all.  I learned a *lot* from that first failure of mine, and I used that information to prepare myself for the second one.  But if I hadn't tried (because I knew I wasn't ready) I wouldn't have learned anything from it.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 05:15:38 AM »

So it starts tomorrow?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic