Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:21:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 27 — Coming August 23rd-26th
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 27 — Coming August 23rd-26th  (Read 29288 times)
Conker534
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 05:20:36 AM »

yes
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2013, 05:24:54 AM »

yes
Awesome, my first Ludum Dare!  Corny Laugh

Conker534
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2013, 05:27:59 AM »

Yeah its my first one too ^_^ I'm excited.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 05:57:29 AM »

Yeah its my first one too ^_^ I'm excited.
Have they announced the the theme yet?

Conker534
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 05:58:49 AM »

I don't think its officially announced until the 23rd.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 06:24:23 AM »

Oh, I can't wait :D

bitserum
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 06:25:38 AM »

There's still a final round of voting to go. Most themes did very poorly so far.
Conker534
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2013, 07:51:56 AM »

I hope Alchemy, Machines, or You must leave it behind passes. 10 seconds is boring to me.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 08:03:09 AM »

This will be my second (first last time); hoping to make something more overt & silly.

I really liked 'Bayou'. Be interested to see what you come up with this time.

This will be my first time taking part. I aim to produce something really amateurish and pass it off as 'primitivism'. Wink

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 08:24:13 AM »

How do I see what they are voting on?

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 09:14:41 AM »

Hmmm... I already have an idea for "10 seconds", so it's probably not gonna win.

TheHermit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »

I think I know what I'd make for 10 seconds, and it wouldn't be a 10-second long game. More like 'you have 10 seconds that you can spend'...

'You must leave it behind' just baffles me though.

Urban Hermit Games

Games: Travelogue, Rebound Recon, Heat Sink
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »

I think I know what I'd make for 10 seconds, and it wouldn't be a 10-second long game. More like 'you have 10 seconds that you can spend'...

"10 Seconds" is the best choice IMO

Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »

You need to create and account and sign in to the ludumdare webpage. Once you are logged in you can vote for the theme and see the 20 themes that are in the final round of voting.

Call it cheating, but I come up with a preliminary game idea for each of the 20 themes. Once  the final theme is chosen I flesh out the preliminary idea and start development.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 11:42:24 AM »

You need to create and account and sign in to the ludumdare webpage. Once you are logged in you can vote for the theme and see the 20 themes that are in the final round of voting.

Call it cheating, but I come up with a preliminary game idea for each of the 20 themes. Once  the final theme is chosen I flesh out the preliminary idea and start development.
That's a really good idea, mind if I do the same?

Yakyb
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »

I have a few ideas for this, such as an rpg of some description with three key items one of which you must not take with you.

I like how open the 10 seconds idea is but i'm struggling to think of anything concrete,

WarioWare was one option i was thinking, but then i considered a Street fighter esque game where by there were 10 seconds between moves but you could only fight in move combinations then watch the next 10 seconds play out.
TheHermit
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »

My thought was either something where you have some little bouncing ball/space craft, and you can execute burns at various places along your trajectory, but you have to design the path so that it completes each level in 10 seconds or less. Basically, you'd be able to see the thing's complete path in real time as you make adjustments. I've been playing too much Kerbal Space Program I think.

Another idea was a game where you have ten seconds of flight on each level, which you must use at the right places to complete the level. In the same vein, instead of flight maybe you could phase through matter for 10 seconds total.

For 'You must leave it behind', I think I'd do a game where the character's body is made of stuck-together bits, which are somehow useful, but which prevent you from passing through narrow openings. So basically, at each narrow place you have to leave behind parts of your body (possibly corresponding to certain character abilities) to get past.

Urban Hermit Games

Games: Travelogue, Rebound Recon, Heat Sink
makehimanoffer
Level 0

I make good games, I swear

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 06:01:01 PM »

Can't wait. There's three themes in the final round of voting that I really like.
Connections
Death is Useful
and
You Must Leave It Behind

If one of  two of the three come up I'm gonna do a personal game for my Granddad or so. If not, then hey we'll have some fun.

Overall this is my first Ludum Dare, but I've done tons of jams before.
So, hey, have a bit of fun before I get back to college.

Not everything you call a game is a game. We need new definitions. We need interactive experiences. Short Interactions. And Games. Otherwise I'll accidentally end up playing a 'not game' and bitch about it on the internet.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 07:54:26 PM »

I'll be joining, as usual. (I think this is my sixth time now?)

For themes, I upvoted Alchemy while neutral-voting 10 Seconds, Glitch, Space and Survival...but the theme is never anything I like, so *shrug*.

I never bother with thinking about concepts until the theme is revealed, since I want to consider various possibilities in the chosen theme and trying to half-ass it for a whole bunch of themes seems counterproductive to me.

Similarly, 'the theme sucks' is never an excuse not to join any challenge/competition that allows broad interpretation of themes. The theme always sucks. Find a way not to make it suck. It's not an actual limitation as with, for example, 7DFPS, where you don't really have the choice to not make a first person perspective game. You can make any kind of game with any kind of theme, and I've found that sometimes the worst themes lead to the best ideas. (Case in point: LD25's 'You are the Villain' (a theme I hated) caused me to come up with a very well-received puzzle RPG where you fight against a recording of your previous actions.)
bitserum
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 01:51:39 AM »

I upvoted Alchemy, Corruption, Death is useful, Glitch and Strange Power-ups. Though I see some people bitching about Strange Power-ups not being a theme. IDK... it can be interpreted as such and it could be fun.

I have a few concepts in my head, but this wasn't due to preparing as much as they just happened, and mostly for the 10 seconds theme.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic