Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:39:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsLudum Dare 27 — Coming August 23rd-26th
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
Print
Author Topic: Ludum Dare 27 — Coming August 23rd-26th  (Read 29291 times)
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: September 07, 2013, 08:38:33 AM »

The FOV on the game hurt my head though.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Brick
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »

Me and my team were excited about this for weeks and then it turns out we weren't able to finish our game Sad

Well at least we can try again in three months...
Sergi
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2013, 02:53:02 PM »

So maybe someone wants to play mine, here it is.

It's called Rewind:

Only 10 levels made, but it's something. Glad I finally took part in a LD and actually finished Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2013, 11:54:19 PM »

Me and my team were excited about this for weeks and then it turns out we weren't able to finish our game Sad

Aw man, that sucks. Good luck next time!
paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2013, 02:59:40 AM »

Nice idea Sergi.

Finish it anyway! Don't be silly. Tongue
bitserum
« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2013, 04:27:29 AM »

I love Ludum Dare, this was my first time and I have only positive impressions ever since the first round of voting started.

My partner in crime and I received a lot of positive feedback on StepOut, though I can't help but see so many faults with that game now.
The whole experience thus far has definitely pushed us to pursue it further (away from the 10sec theme though)

I'm mostly amazed by how much our productivity sky rocketed due to 72 hours limitations. Anyone got a secret recipe how to successfully transition that crazy workflow into every day development?  Beg
I'm getting annoyed by how slow and relaxed I'm approaching it when I have "all the time in the world".  Concerned
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2013, 04:40:21 AM »

I love Ludum Dare, this was my first time and I have only positive impressions ever since the first round of voting started.

My partner in crime and I received a lot of positive feedback on StepOut, though I can't help but see so many faults with that game now.
The whole experience thus far has definitely pushed us to pursue it further (away from the 10sec theme though)

I'm mostly amazed by how much our productivity sky rocketed due to 72 hours limitations. Anyone got a secret recipe how to successfully transition that crazy workflow into every day development?  Beg
I'm getting annoyed by how slow and relaxed I'm approaching it when I have "all the time in the world".  Concerned

I know right? I got more stuff done in those 48 hours than I could in 2 weeks.

Ludum Dare FTW!
  Hand Metal Left Panda Hand Metal Right

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2013, 03:37:43 AM »

I've also noticed that I get a lot more done in 48 hours than I usually do in a month.  I think it's because I have specifically allocated that time for that alone, and told everyone in my life that I'm going to be doing that, and that I'm unavailable for other things.

I haven't yet found a way to expand that into my daily life because I have set it aside as an exception.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2013, 05:51:29 AM »

I've also noticed that I get a lot more done in 48 hours than I usually do in a month.  I think it's because I have specifically allocated that time for that alone, and told everyone in my life that I'm going to be doing that, and that I'm unavailable for other things.

I haven't yet found a way to expand that into my daily life because I have set it aside as an exception.

Keeping up a game jam pace would be difficult for long periods of time. It's not just about discipline at that point, but also basic exhaustion, real life getting in the way, needing to take time off to re-evaluate things, and what have you. A big part of why game jams are fun is that you get immediate results. Bigger projects will have days where you're working on under-the-hood things and the actual game doesn't change radically every day, which can be discouraging to some.

A more realistic goal would be doing some Pomodoro every day. Keep a good to-do list and make it your priority to check off a handful of things slowly but surely.

/me looks at the "soon.pcx" in his sig

Yeah, about that...
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2013, 09:15:43 AM »

I've also noticed that I get a lot more done in 48 hours than I usually do in a month.  I think it's because I have specifically allocated that time for that alone, and told everyone in my life that I'm going to be doing that, and that I'm unavailable for other things.

Keeping up a game jam pace would be difficult for long periods of time. It's not just about discipline at that point, but also basic exhaustion, real life getting in the way, needing to take time off to re-evaluate things, and what have you. A big part of why game jams are fun is that you get immediate results. Bigger projects will have days where you're working on under-the-hood things and the actual game doesn't change radically every day, which can be discouraging to some.

To add to this, keeping up a game jam pace for an extended period of time will wreck you psychologically. Working whenever you're not eating or sleeping is fine for 48 or 72 hours, but after that it will make you burn out pretty quickly. I once made the mistake of keeping a near-LD pace during an 8-day game jam, and after six days I just didn't feel like doing anything anymore. Taking a full day off let me regain enough motivation to at least finish the game, but I ended up half-assing some stuff and cutting out some bug-triggering content because I just couldn't bring myself to fix a difficult bug anymore.

For a less anecdotal account, some time ago Salon had a good article about working too much. The TL;DR is basically that working overtime causes great short-term gain in productivity, but a steep long-term drop in productivity if it continues.
bitserum
« Reply #230 on: September 10, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »

My initial suggestion of keeping the jam work pace daily - was a bit of an exaggeration. However I am noticing that I was overall in a more productive mindset during the jam (irrelevant of how much time was pitched in). Decision were made faster, stuff kept moving.

In day-to-day I swear I sometimes spend weeks on making a single creative decision :-/ Unless I'm "in the zone", but that's unreliable.

This is mostly because I lack deadlines, and working under some pressure has always been good to me. Unfortunately I can't take self-set deadlines seriously. I'm too aware I can just ignore them, and so I often do).

Am trying the Pomodoro right now though. (Did something similar in the past, but with hourly bursts of work and 30min breaks. It would worked nicely... for a few days)
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 11, 2013, 02:59:29 AM »

I know you couldn't keep that pace up for long.  I was doing 14 hour days, and I usually tire out at 8 hours.  (I drank caffeine, which I usually avoid, to make that possible.  It was amazing, but I definitely paid for it the entire next week.)

But my point was literal.  I get more done in an LD compo than I do in an entire month otherwise.  Even assuming I could only manage to find 8 hours a week, I should still have the same amount of time to do things.  Somehow, I don't even find that much time.
bitserum
« Reply #232 on: September 11, 2013, 03:21:32 AM »

^Same here

I'm liking the pomodoro so far though, bit sized distraction-free deadlines seem really cool
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 11, 2013, 05:23:26 AM »

^Same here

I'm liking the pomodoro so far though, bit sized distraction-free deadlines seem really cool
What's the pomodoro?

bitserum
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2013, 07:53:50 AM »

The Pomodoro Technique is a method of time management utilizing short 25min bursts of uninterrupted work (each 25min segment = 1 pomodoro).
There's a 5min break between each pomodoro, and a longer (usually 30min) break after every 4th.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »

The Pomodoro Technique is a method of time management utilizing short 25min bursts of uninterrupted work (each 25min segment = 1 pomodoro).
There's a 5min break between each pomodoro, and a longer (usually 30min) break after every 4th.
huh, that's a good idea,
I think that I'll try it out while I'm working on my game today!
Thanks for telling me about it!

bitserum
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2013, 08:07:05 AM »

Thanks for telling me about it!

It's all Sublinimal's "fault" for bringing it up yesterday. Smiley Hope it serves you well!
ekun
Level 1

caffeen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: September 16, 2013, 06:47:11 PM »

woo! made the top 100!

chronodrive: 100th place  Smiley

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 16, 2013, 06:59:36 PM »

woo! made the top 100!