Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:57:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs-NARCISSUS- Now available on iOS!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: -NARCISSUS- Now available on iOS!  (Read 26588 times)
alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »

Congratulations dude, your hard work seems to be paying off!

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2017, 11:29:47 AM »

Congratulations dude, your hard work seems to be paying off!

Thanks! Was a crazy few weeks, but definitely glad that I've followed through with the work. Should make working on future games a tonne easier. Already have the next game I'm working on Testflight so a pile of momentum on the project!

One thing that has become apparent is the fatigue felt from returning to the project post-release (To do the Android release). I think a little part of my body/mind had switched off that avenue of work so it's going to require quite a bit of discipline to get the game out of other platforms. Retaining focus on finishing a project for 5-6 years then having that focus relieved is a hard thing to return to. Having said that, the majority of Android stuff is already set up, just need to make a handful of Tweaks and refinements inside of the game and in turn update the store page I established in December. I'll post some updates on any changes I make between then and now, most likely I'll start on the Android stuff this weekend.

For anyone interested in what I'm working on next, here's the link to the forum post for Break N' Take: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=54762.0

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2017, 02:38:54 PM »

Congrats on the release! Smiley

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: January 08, 2019, 10:57:58 AM »

UPDATE COMING SOON, STAY TUNED!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: January 19, 2019, 02:17:01 AM »

Hey Folks!

Been a good while since I posted in here, and for good reason!

When I shipped this project back in 2017, I was absolutely sick to the back teeth of the project and didn't want anything to do with it (Understandably after 5-6 years on and off developing it).

Two years on, a recent deal with a web portal has bought be me back to the project. I was apprehensive to opening the source files, both for compatibility issues but also on how janky my workflow would be compared to now.

In retrospect and two years of building games, here's my findings;

- I was insane to try and localise: Whilst it was a useful experience going through the localisation process, trying to do it for Narcissus took a huge chunk of time and I have no metrics for how many people actually changed the language. Based on the extremely low number of people that disabled ads (which was hidden in the same settings window), my inkling is a low number.

Icons would have been much easier, but I insisted on ignoring conventions for artistic integrity. Admittedly, there are old examples of the icon designs in the project (and they all look garbage) so for the time text may well have been the better option.  

- Profoundly sloppy workflow: My work used to be such a mess (Even compared to now!) naming conventions for many objects were copy of copy of copy of copy of actor, long abandoned assets were still kept in the project. With a couple of days tinkering, I've managed to shave nearly half of the number of actors out of the game, the level select being the most significant (reducing it from 53 actors to 4).  

- Device Orientation: Despite the consensus that most people would play portrait, I insisted on building landscape orientation. This took an eternity to get right (and made much harder by positioning based on the different languages). This was a useful learning exercise but I haven't since bothered including this functionality in any of my later games.

What do I have to do now?
- Game breaking bug on the main menu: Flash and HTML5 keep crashing and I haven't managed to pin down the specific reason yet, hopefully something I'll fix today.
+ Delay on unpausing: Like with Break N Take, having a 3-2-1 delay once you've unpaused the game to let you get your bearings.
+ Get the game controllable with keyboard inputs
- Change the way buttons are placed on the screen horizontally (fixed figures rather than proportional to the width of the device)
- Potentially try crunch the soundtrack down to a smaller size
+ Endings of levels are currently inconsistent (And show behind the scenes, needs fixing)
- Experiment with snazzier particles: When Narcissus was launched, I had a limited knowledge of particles, so maybe adding a tasty fluttering effect or increasing the number of particles to make the trail nicer
- Transition between levels involves a grey flash as the overlay initialises, fix that
+ Focus lost, game pauses
- See if I can get it to scale to various device scales
+ Build alternate UI functions for mobile and update with ads
- Re-position pause button (because having it in the middle of the screen is stupid)
+ Add popup text for language indicator

Stay tuned for more updates soon!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 10:42:30 AM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic