Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:48:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs-NARCISSUS- Now available on iOS!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: -NARCISSUS- Now available on iOS!  (Read 26507 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 03:34:44 AM »

Hey Folks!

After chopping down a lot of the levels, I've proceeded to merge some of the backgrounds that are taking up uneeded space, along with removing old buttons and now Narcissus runs so fast that it's a struggle to complete the insane speed levels anymore! This is a massive breakthrough as now I can focus on other tweaks such as enhancing the timer, refining the later levels & figuring out what that mysterious grey box in the corner is all about!

Would also like to take the time to thank bandreus for not only re-booting the Devlog magazine, but also giving Narcissus a spot at the top in it!

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39284.0

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 05:27:54 AM »

Hey folks!

I'm very happy to announce that Narcissus will be featured in the Indie Zone at the UK's Biggest Gaming Festival, Insomnia!

http://insomniagamingfestival.com/

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 05:59:40 PM »

Hey Folks - I've plonked together some promotional stuff that you might want to take a gander at!

Events attending promotional poster:

Narcissus Soundtrack Cover:

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:26:15 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 08:48:37 AM »

Hey Folks! Here's a screenshot of Narcissus fullscreen on desktop running as smooth as a baby's bottom. I'll get a Gif/video uploaded with some footage captured soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »

LOADS OF COINS!

Complete the first 10 levels of Narcissus at EGX_Rezzed, UpdateShow or Insomnia to win one!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:26:55 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2014, 06:41:05 AM »

Developer video showing the first 5 minutes of gameplay of Narcissus on iPad!

Bandreus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2014, 07:56:46 AM »

Kiss Narcissus  Hand Metal Right

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2014, 06:26:07 AM »

Hey folks! I've just uploaded a ma-hoosive article on IndieDB listing in detail all the events I'm going to be going along to and what I'll be bringing! Check it out!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/narcissus/news/narcissus-expo-dates

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 12:47:07 AM »

Brilliant game, I thoroughly enjoyed it after playing it today at EGX Rezzed (level 25 :D). Just wondering about the level editor you mentioned, will that only be for PC/Mac or on Android and iOS as well and will you be able to share them levels?

I'm really glad that you enjoyed it! The level editor is very early in development (as the past few weeks has been getting Narcissus ready for the expo).

I've got to have a nosey into the networking capabilities of Stencyl to see if sharing the levels is possible (as I would love for this to happen). Stay tuned for updates on this in the coming weeks!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2014, 05:42:47 AM »

Hey folks! I've put together a presskit for Narcissus, would be great to have your feedback on if it's got everything it needs!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NARCISSUS PRESSKIT

How to pronounce the game name - http://www.forvo.com/word/narcissus/#en

Email for Press - [email protected]

Twitter - @alexvscoding

KEY INFO

Link to First 25 levels: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/9768

For the full version of the game, drop me an email at [email protected] and I'll sort you out!

Link to IndieDB page: http://www.indiedb.com/games/narcissus

Tigsource Development Log: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35123.0

Platform: iPad, Android, PC, MAC, Linux

Release Date: May (Date to be confirmed)

Developer/Publisher: Alex Johansson (AlexVsCoding) - Designer, programming and art

Luke Smith (AfroTurf) - Music production and sound

AWARDS & FEATURES

Official Selection Leftfield Collection 2014
Official Selection Insomnia 51 2014

Top 6 Games to Watch Out for from EGX Rezzed 2014 - GamrReview

THUMBNAIL

ABOUT

Narcissus - The perfect game to put any healthy relationship to the test. A platformer in which you, the player must control two characters simultaneously moving through increasingly mind-melting levels. All to a smorgasbord of electronic music.

ABOUT DEVELOPMENT

The original inspiration for the game came from watching my brother jumping between stepping stones crossing the river Don on a bright autumn day and could see his reflection in the water doing the same. I really enjoy the shared experience that a lot of arcade machines have, with most offering 2 player as a standard. I wanted to build a game that not only catered to that social experience, but actually made it easier with another player involved. To accompany Narcissus, I built a homemade arcade machine to showcase the game in. It takes inspiration from the old cocktail tables and allows players to yell abuse/laugh in each other's faces/high five each other easily. I've been developing Narcissus on and off for around 3 years, really blasting it out now for the last 6 months. The reason it's taken so long is University took priority for the first few years. Throughout that time, I'd always be running off with my work mistress (Narcissus) instead of getting on with my studies. Despite getting distracted with Narcissus, I graduated in November with a first class degree and have been working on it full time since.

FEATURES

1. 50 vibrant levels
2. 5 intense soundtracks
3. 2 games for the price of 1 - A single player multitasking epic and a co-operative experience to treasure
4. Ramps, speed boosts, direction switchers, bridges and a slew of other mechanics.
5. 3 different speeds to make sure nobody gets left out!
6. 4 seasons of colour and 30 different pixelated flora.
7. Timer to challenge your friends with or disable to enjoy the game at your own pace.
8. Quick to learn, eternity to master.

VIDEO OF GAMEPLAY:

GAME TRAILER:

SCREENSHOTS (Download as Zip Here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogg904hbss175af/Narcissus%20Images.zip)

PHOTOSHOOT OF ARCADE MACHINE

« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 09:27:56 AM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2014, 05:41:38 PM »

Hey Folks! I'm Happy to announce that Narcissus has just launched on Greenlight! If you lot could give the game a play if you haven't already and decide whether you want more!

Also, any feedback on it's presentation or whether it does the game justice as a Steam Greenlight page would be ace to know. Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245020357

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you love games like Super Hexagon, you owe it to yourself to play Narcissus. Note: the Soundtrack is also fantastic."
~ Top 6 Games to Watch Out for from EGX Rezzed 2014, gamrReview

Narcissus is the perfect game to put any healthy relationship to the test. A platformer in which you, the player must control two characters simultaneously with two different keys moving through increasingly mind-melting levels. All to a smorgasbord of electronic music.

Please give the 25 level flash version of Narcissus a playthrough to get an idea of what to expect!

Give the soundtrack so far a listen!

The idea behind Narcissus was to build a game that was easier to play with a friend in order to bring people together.

Features:

50 vibrant levels
5 intense soundtracks
2 games for the price of 1 - A single player multitasking epic and a co-operative experience to treasure
Ramps, speed boosts, direction switchers, bridges and a slew of other mechanics.
3 different speeds to make sure nobody gets left out!
4 seasons of colour and 30 different pixelated flora.
Timer to challenge your friends with or disable to enjoy the game at your own pace.
Quick to learn, eternity to master.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Design / Art / Programming - Alex Johansson

Soundtrack Production - Luke Smith

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2014, 05:07:47 AM »

For anyone considering launching a Greenlight campaign for their game, here are some tips to make sure that things run smoothly:

1. Get an eye-catching trailer BEFORE you launch – I put Narcissus on Greenlight with the basic trailer I’d done for the flash version, which was as a mistake. This is now being fixed by getting a trailer produced showing the windows build. The aims with the trailer include:

a. Make the mechanic crystal clear (most people don’t realise that they’re controlled separately).

b. Showcase the later (and for the most part chaotic) 25 levels of the game.

c. Get the quotes from the reception at Rezzed in.

The current trailer above is what was produced from the description above. The trailer was made by a good friend called Ross Martin.

2. Decent description – A couple of short bullet points isn’t a justified length for something that’s taken years to finish. I initially just had a very brief description, but when telling people about the project at events, I'd be talking about the game in depth, so why should the digital medium be any different? There’s an excellent article on the subject here: http://www.theastronauts.com/2013/12/one-lethal-mistake-indie-marketing/

3. Get a game build up! – Now I know a lot of people submit “Concepts” to Greenlight, which is fine if the focus is on the narrative, but for games such as Narcissus, the gameplay is the main pull for the product. Getting that build in place for people to try is key. I initially put up the Flash version as the copy to try, but realised after a day or two that this didn’t reflect the quality of the final build (especially since the trailer was showing the same thing). The first 10 levels of the Windows build are up. This also helps the Let’s Play community, where previously the lag would kill the experience of watching the video.

4. Keep updates flowing – Getting brand new feeds coming through is an ace way to keep people interested, whether that’s recycling old articles with important information or blasting out walls of fresh awesome stuff about your development.

5. Don’t believe the stats – They’re deceptive and in some cases, quite depressing to read if you don’t realise the average score that most games get on Greenlight. Don’t give up on it and keep pushing it to places such as Youtubers and festivals/events. The best way to think of the numbers that you have is each yes vote is potentially someone who is going to buy your game, so if you have 5,000 people who have said yes, if you're charging 10 pounds per copy of the game, that's a lot of money!

Obviously Narcissus hasn't reached it's goal yet, so theoretically all of this could be nonsense, but it's just some ideas of what I've learnt from the experience. I hope that some of it can help inform developers who might be getting anxious about numbers or be about to take the plunge.

In case you were wondering, here is the page for Narcissus on Greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=245020357

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »

Hey Folks! I finally got the time to sit down and write some articles about the events that I went to. It's been a stupidly hectic few months and I've really had a great time at some events. I did a post about what I'd be going to go to a month or so you can read here! :D http://www.indiedb.com/games/narcissus/news/narcissus-on-tour-expo-dates-locations-and-what-were-showing

TOUR STOP 1: REZZED

Man. MAN. MAAAAAAAAAAN. Rezzed was insane. Had such a good time. Wasn’t much that could’ve prepared me for that event (with the exception of investing in some extremely comfortable shoes). Spent 3 days neighbors with a bunch of Devs in the Leftfield Collection, who all had a fantastic variety of different projects. Handed out a bazillion business cards, did a bunch of interviews and made a lot of people yell at each other over the course of the weekend. Birmingham was a great city to have the event in (with the exception of the Custard Factory) and the developers who went were awesome for getting involved with the nights out.

Here were my favourite games of the show:

Narcissus – Hehe, just kidding, that'd be awfully narcissistic of me.

Monstrum – Call of Chuthlu meets Alien Isolation with Oculus support. With games such as this, I’m always a cowardly custard and this game catered to that by letting me hide under tables, inside of lockers and behind practically anything that would put me in between me and that absolutely terrifying beast that walks the corridors of the ship. Basic premise is you have a series of things you have to do around this abandoned ship and stopping you is a huge glowing monster that staggers the corridors. Headphones are a must for this and whilst I didn’t get chance to give it a go, Oculus looked crazy fun.

Monstrum Trailer -

TinyKeep – I must admit, whilst Phi is an awesome guy who I’ve known for months, until I’d been to Rezzed, I hadn’t fully invested myself into playing TinyKeep. Getting lost in the crypts and caverns of the dungeon got me crazy anxious (I didn’t realise there was a map). There were so many scenes that felt handpicked out of the cinema – facing hordes of enemies as I back through a door only to find the room I’ve entered filled to the brim with more enemies. Leading huge numbers of skeletons and wobbly soldiers over spikes is thoroughly satisfying and the weapons feel great to handle. Soundtrack was awesome and the voice acting was fantastic (wouldn’t expect anything less Kathryn!)

Here's a video of me failing miserably at TInyKeep -

NotGTA – Whilst the name is a bit of an IP hot potato, the story behind the team on this project is well worth investing in. A member of their team approached me on the weekend and asked me to check out their game. The team behind the project built the game as a last ditch effort to fund their charity for a year. Peer Productions visit people who’ve suffered from problems such as substance abuse, domestic abuse, underage pregnancy and homophobic bullying and document their stories in the form of theatre performances to show in schools and events around the UK. Unfortunately their government funding was cut so this is their backup plan. The game has a clever use of the snake mechanic (the higher your notoriety, the more people who chase you). The visuals are simple but charming, sound effects/music are cute and has some great humor. All profits go to the charity. Great cause, great game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRxvRPpjj3A

Here are my highlights from my own stand:

Messages on the walls – When I realised that I’d forgotten to bring a poster, the alternative of drawing all over the walls popped into my head. Got some fantastic feedback and hilarious comments written all over my wall segment. Here’s a sample of some of my favourites:

Dedication – Some people are very persistent! There was some hardcore fans on the day who played the game through from start to finish, taking as long as 2 to 3 hours to finish the game! Those who undertook this almighty task will be immortalized in the game as the “Green Fiends’”, the pioneers of the new levels of Narcissus.

Things I hadn’t seen before – There was one particular pair of players that stick in my memory. Basically, in the later levels, they paused the game in order to plan out their route through the levels. Never thought I’d see such a tactical approach to playing Narcissus and that really was my highlight of the event. So cool to see them discussing the game as if it was something like a board game across the arcade machine from one another.

An absolute howler was when a pair got to level 44 and the power to the iPad cut out.

The event was a fantastic opportunity to make some amazing new friends, network, drink and really re-invigorate me to finish the game. Thanks go to David Hayward who chose the game for the show and Luke Smith, who was enthusiastic right down to the end where I was lingering at the end in nostalgia mode.

Thanks for Reading this and I'm going to try and blast out these articles for the rest of the events I've been to as soon as I can (going to Austria on Wednesday so is going to be a narrow window to get it sorted in time!)

Stay Tuned!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2014, 07:13:19 PM »

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2014, 10:40:29 PM »

Hey folks! Just made a bunch of screenshots after playing through the entire game.

Here's a nice little sample!

« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:51:05 PM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 04:29:51 PM »

Hey Folks! Today is a very proud day - I've just finished Narcissus! It's been in development for absolutely ages but by luck the last day of my current job happened to coincide with the finishing of the game. To celebrate, I've had a Narcissus album created to house the final game in! Here's some photos of the final assembly to accompany:

I'm going to be taking a 3 week holiday and then I'll get back on with the launch process. For now, you'll just have to wait!

lobstersteve
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 12:01:29 PM »

You probably already were informed about it, but in case you weren't, narcissus was mentioned in a vsauce video:

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2014, 09:04:45 PM »

You probably already were informed about it, but in case you weren't, narcissus was mentioned in a vsauce video:

Yeah man, views on gamejolt went up 5,000 in a space of 3 days! Looking forward to what future coverage will bring (dropping off a copy of Narcissus at the house of Game Grumps when I fly into LA so hoping for coverage there! (was in contact with them earlier in the year but I moved abroad and we slipped out of contact))

Even though I said I wouldn't work on my holiday, read some amazing comics today and awesome street art and it made me want to finish things. Currently getting the demo done for mac to release tonight (windows build will be released when I'm re-united with my windows laptop in NYC)

Stay tuned!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 11:08:26 PM »

Hey Folks! I put together a nice little page for Narcissus on itch.io as the project approaches it's release. 10 level MAC demo now available! (Windows build coming as soon as I'm re-united with my laptop in NYC). Enjoy!

http://alexvscoding.itch.io/narcissus

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 03:17:23 AM »

THIS SHIT IS MAKING ME FUCK ING CRAZY

HOLY SHIT

HOL Y  F  U    C  K

THIS GAME IS SO MUCH

THIS GAME IS SO MUCH

SCREAMING

sorry okay i'm about to play the flash version and then the mac demo. holy fuck.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic