Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 10:36:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs-NARCISSUS- Now available on iOS!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: -NARCISSUS- Now available on iOS!  (Read 26619 times)
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

Enthusiasm at dangerous levels.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2015, 11:18:30 AM »

Awesome stuff Alex, glad to see Narcissus is coming along well too :D! Will you be at Rezzed again this year?

Unfortunately I'm on a skiing holiday at the time of the event, so sadly not! How are things going with development?

Alright for some eh ha ha? Hope it goes well Smiley.

Monstrum's getting there. Early Access launch date is at the end of the month so it's all hands on deck for now!

Great to hear. I'm about to announce the release date for Narcissus (things are hotting up at this end to say the least!) Best of luck with it and let me know when it's out!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2015, 09:18:52 AM »

Stuff added today:

Optimised the game on Tablet (So it doesn't crash when closed)

Stopped the music from jumping when loading levels

Fixed issues with jumping

Reduced the number of unneeded objects on levels

Added these snazzy new ramp/speed indicators

(Also built a super amazing time gauntlet for another team's game but that's a secret)

More soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2015, 07:57:50 PM »

Hey Folks! I'm happy to announce that Narcissus is in the final stretch of development! I've decided on a release date which seems fitting - Valentines Day. Which builds of the game are going to be available on the day are yet to be decided (at least Windows and Mac) but I will be working swiftly to ensure other planned platforms follow.

The last main bugs have been fixed on the iPad builds, so it's nearly complete. I can't tell you what a relief I'm getting from just getting the project done is.

Leading up to launch, I'll be at London Anime League and I'm in talks about another event on Valentines Eve. With any luck at least one jump mat should be done for that event. Any help that you can offer to help spread the word about this would be massively appreciated.

I'll be putting up banners/promotional in the next few days, so stay tuned for more swift updates!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2015, 03:36:28 AM »

Hey Folks!

I'm using the weekend of the Global Game Jam to get the last fixes on Narcissus done. After which, I'll be contacting press for the remaining weeks till launch. Any support that you folks can offer aiding this will be greatly appreciated. Have managed to get a controller working (but need probably time after the launch to tinker and perfect this). Stay tuned for more!

Green Gospod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2015, 04:55:03 AM »

Those bright purple along with no contrast dark gray, covered with high contrast bright orange and red, still make me want to smash the screen. Smiley
AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2015, 07:27:49 AM »

Those bright purple along with no contrast dark gray, covered with high contrast bright orange and red, still make me want to smash the screen. Smiley

It's the old colour pallete - I kept it for ages then finally decided to scrap it (thank god). I've got a colour overlay which has the hue synchronized to the game timer. I set the blocks to black then cranked the opacity waaaaay down.

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »

I'm super proud to announce that the full version of Narcissus will be available on Valentines Day. Any help that you folks can get behind it would be amazing.

For any of you that haven't played the game yet, Valentines is a rather poignant day for release as Narcissus is the perfect game to put any healthy relationship to the test.

Stay tuned as there will be much more news in the coming weeks!

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 02:24:01 PM »

This is awesome news, as this is the only mp game I can get my girlfriend to stay put for longer than 3 seconds and actually play  Toast Right

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2015, 06:39:05 AM »

This is awesome news, as this is the only mp game I can get my girlfriend to stay put for longer than 3 seconds and actually play  Toast Right
That's super awesome to hear!

So leading up to launch, I'll be posting up my favourite quotes from the events I've taken Narcissus to. I'll post them on here in bundles of 5 :D Hope you enjoy and if you're interested in playing the game before release, I'll be at LondonAnimeCon this weekend!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:43:21 AM by AlexVsCoding » Logged

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2015, 04:28:01 AM »

Hey Folks, The day has finally come! Narcissus is now available to download. Hope you have fun.

http://alexvscoding.itch.io/narcissus

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2015, 08:13:35 AM »

Congrats on the release, will check it out.

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2015, 03:29:57 PM »

Hey Folks! Have the wonderful new that Narcissus has finally been Greenlit!

Going to be taking a holiday then I'll be getting it on Steam whenever things are in place!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2015, 07:20:36 PM »

Hey Folks!

In true Halloween fashion, I've raised a seemingly dead topic back from the grave!

Narcissus got Greenlit a while back (LIKE MARCH THIS YEAR A WHILE BACK) and that was awesome, but despite being Greenlit and the game done, I still haven't found the time to do that last batch of paperwork/press to finish the game and get it fully released. 

This is down to a couple of things:

1. Despite getting the game Greenlit, it took nearly A YEAR to happen and before which I'd given up actually trying to get the game on Steam. Instead, I had set myself a specific deadline to launch by as I'd reached a point where I was spending vast amounts of time nitpicking on the project and needed to ship and move onto something new.

2. I made a lot of exciting plans for the Valentines Day release, but dedications to my job and a bunch of other issues caused things to go wrong (Work hours quadrupling / Website Hosting Company shutting down a week before launch and not telling me / miscommunications with Humble / bad advice from people). It was very disappointing end for the project, but I needed to release the project and doing so created a massive relief that I'd managed to release it after such a long time in development.

3. Along with work and development, I was also running electronics workshops, organising the local developer network, mentoring, hosting game jams and doing talks/expos alongside.

4. I'd been working on the game for over 4 years and the project had just become exhausting to work on. There was expectations in my mind for how successful the Steam launch needed to go and I just didn't have the time/resources to make that happen. I needed a break to work on some other stuff.

I decided to put the project on ice. Between then and now, I taught abroad doing programming classes and controller workshops, built several games installations, worked with Tyler again (This time on a physical puppet boxing game) and developed/finished a variety of other projects (Heliplopters, Space Ragers, Paper Trail, Deathlection, Corporate Salmon, Morse).

A lot of people look at their game launches as commercial disasters, but despite the Valentines Day launch going badly I still have a roof over my head, food to eat, the project didn't financially ruin me and I'm still working in the area that I love, so it's not that much of a commercial disaster. To add, Narcissus was the project that launched me into games development, taught me so many things, allowed me to make a lot of contacts and took me to some awesome places/expos/events. I've learnt a lot from the experience above and feel a lot less pressured for the game to do well, as I appreciate now that it's just one game in a long line of projects to come. When comparing the development cycle of Narcissus to my current project Morse, I've managed to accomplish things a lot quicker and with a lot more certainty this time around.

Despite the hiatus on Narcissus, I managed to get a tablet version functional on a modern iPad at the place I was working. This was awesome to see since I was only ever able to access a 1st gen iPad (So the apps would always crash/run badly). Seeing the game run super smooth was massively motivating and since returning from the states, I've recently managed to get a hold of the devices I need for testing, and thus development has re-ignited.

From recent testing, I've managed to get a phone functional build of Narcissus. For this, I've gone for a vertical format that feels pretty good to play (And I can't wait to test with others).

As for the desktop version, I'm going to go back through the old game code and see if there's anything else that needs fixing/any updates I can add. From there, I'm going to export the latest desktop builds and sit down with some folks who are going to help me get the last of the procedures/paperwork done for getting Narcissus on Steam.

I'll be posting updates as often as possible, so keep an eye on Narcissus, it ain't done yet!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2016, 06:13:41 PM »

Hey Folks!

I've been tinkering with the phone build of Narcissus recently (After 3 months, I finally got a new charger for my mac so work has resumed on the project). I've found a way to record footage off my phone, so expect more gifs and examples of gameplay popping up on here. I'm currently going through and gutting the promotional stuff for this project E.g. Website, Steam Page, itch, Gamejolt, TIG Page etc, they're all needing some work, just look at that signature for my profile (Eyes burn out).

The phone version of Narcissus is pretty much there, just have to make sure things scale correctly, then send it out to a bunch of folks to test on various devices.

As for Steam/Greenlight, I've been Greenlit for a year but haven't had the time to sit down and do the paperwork. I've got 3 weeks coming up where I'll have a bunch of free time, so I'm aiming to get it out of the way then.

Enough boring stuff! Here's some more fancy gifs of gameplay:

I'll try and keep posting stuff that I'm doing, keep an eye out for new things!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2016, 03:56:58 PM »

Hey Folks, Here's some recent footage of Narcissus on phone - The next major objective I've got for the project is getting iOS distribution figured out. Once that's sorted, I'll be doing a final pass over the project then begin sending out press copies. Stay tuned for more soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2016, 04:32:33 AM »

Hey Folks,

Update on Narcissus - I've got past the major blocks in the distribution process, so in the process of adding fancy updates to the project. I've enhanced the death animation and changed up the level select to keep it in line with the rest of the controls (Up and down to move, rather than left/right swipe.)

I've also tweaked the UI, with plans to potentially gut the pause menu to make it a little more flashy and intuitive. I'm at a point where I'm trying to identify what needs actually improving and what at this point is just messing around. One useful thing is I've finished my job last week, so other than finalising marking my time should be opening waaay up. Stay tuned for more soon.

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2016, 11:13:20 AM »

Hey folks,

So an update on the things left to do for Narcissus, I've got the latest build of the game working on phone (App Store/TestFlight compatible) and I am just looking at a handful more things to do:

* Multiple orientations - whilst gameplay remains the same regardless of orientation, the menus and pause screens need to change based on which way up the game is held.
* Translations to as many languages as I can hit - Currently have in the pipeline Polish, Chinese, Swedish, Italian, French, and Spanish (and English). I may add more/remove some see depending on how things go with the folks who are translating the project.
* Update Loading Screen - My logo is super old and severely needs an update, and I've seen a lot of developers use that brief loading time to do useful stuff like explain the basic mechanics. I'm going to explore some of these (I'm also currently looking into a rebrand so it's hard to judge what to choose at the moment.
* Cutting Unecessary stuff on the main menu - on the front page, there's a lot of text that clutters up the menu page. I'll be trimming this back to just extra information when you roll over a button to give a brief description (same for pause menu).
* Extra menu buttons - I'll be adding some more settings in the form of an assisted viewing option (adding a sphere around each character) and inversion of player controls.
* Replacing the pause menu buttons with icons to make them easier to understand and cutting back on text as graphics that needs translating.
* Replacing the on screen pause button with an edge of screen region to press.
And that should be the bulk of the development side of things done! Other than that, I need to get my presskit back up to speed, revamp the website (hopefully with a html5 version of the game that should work with phones) and of course get it tested on as many devices as I can before launch.

As a quick heads up though, I am going to be doing marking for the next 2 weeks, so development will only be when I get sick of doing paperwork. Having said the above, my time opens up for the summer, so I'll be kicking out projects over the coming months.

Stay tuned for more soon!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2016, 04:29:59 AM »

Hey Folks, Here's the updated footage of Narcissus I've been talking about. I'll be also putting up some footage of the game on phone real soon as well!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2016, 11:32:45 AM »

Hey Folks,

Here's that iPhone gameplay footage, as you can see, the game still needs its different orientations implementing.

Here's some other quick stuff that I'll get to fixing:
The visual aids for seeing the characters better with poor eyesight de-activate each time a new level loads/restarts.
Accompanying sounds for all the new buttons created.
Random ends of levels killing the player - planning to fill any holes that might be killing the player off screen.
De-activating the input when the game is paused (Upon pushing buttons on the menu, the characters automatically then jump).

There's these things and then of course there's still those other areas I've got to get done, but I'll keep on powering on!

AlexVsCoding
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »

Hey Folks, here's a quick video showing the updated menus with different orientations on phone. Might need a tweak or two but more or less there! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As for things left to do, I've swept up the last few bugs, leaving just localisation to do then and testing on various devices and the project is done! Stay tuned for more soon!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic