Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:34:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum Issuesproblems registering on tigsource [NOT FIXED?]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: problems registering on tigsource [NOT FIXED?]  (Read 50035 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2013, 01:54:01 AM »

NOTE: if you have a gmail email account and are having trouble registering on tigsource and never get the registration email, fear not. it's probably caused by gmail blocking tigsource emails. it seems they don't even go into spam, they're just blocked. to fix this, simply sign up for a new email at somewhere like "10MinuteMail", and register using that new email. you should be able to register an account with other email accounts besides gmail fairly easily. we are sorry for the inconvenience.

EDIT2: "mailinator" seems to work better, use that. there's also a tutorial on signing up for tigsource here:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58984.0

original post below:

periodically many people have problems registering on tigsource, sometimes simply as a result of getting the questions wrong, but often even when they get the questions right it says an error has occurred and they can't register. i get several people a month in irc asking why they can't register on the site. here are some examples from the tigsource facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/TIGSource?filter=2

Jarrod 'Jarraf' Verhagenposted to TIGSource
December 31, 2012
I keep getting an error when I try to register on the forum, is it working?

Daniel Eddyposted to TIGSource
February 22 near Sydney, New South Wales
Hey I have been having trouble registering I keep receiving an error message with TIG Source forums is it working?

Nguyen Minh Quanposted to TIGSource
March 27 near Hanoi, Ha Noi
Hey, your forum is freaking hard to signing on. What did I do wrong?

Gina Zdanowiczposted to TIGSource
April 30
Hi, I am having trouble registering for your forum site. After filling in all the info and answer the spam bot questions I am faced with.. An Error Has Occurred!

Koh Sianglengposted to TIGSource
June 25 near Singapore, Singapore
Hi, I tried registering an account in the forum from my office pc, home pc and inlaws pc. Can anyone advise on this? the answers i gave was "pixel" "egg" "no" which i assume were all correct.

so basically i'm reporting that there's a widespread problem with some people being unable to register for the site, over a long period of time of at least for the last eight or so months (in the quotes above, some are recent, some are from late last year). i don't myself know the reason for this problem, but i thought i'd bring it to the attention of the forum now that we have a forum issues subforum
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 03:58:29 AM by ஒழுக்கின்மை » Logged

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 09:04:31 AM »

"egg" is definitely not the right answer for question two. But if the anti-spam questions are answered correctly there are two other possibilities:

1. They may be using a "reserved word" in their name. There are a bunch of words/names that were set as reserved at some point, either because they're bad words or because someone kept trying to escape their ban using different combinations of a specific word/phrase.

2. Their IP might be banned, usually as the result of some spammer.

So if they answered correctly and are still having problems, have them post their username/IP address to narrow it down.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »

While we're on the subject: I think the questions should be changed to something better. I estimate there's about one person every week dropping in to the IRC having trouble registering. 9 times out of 10 the problem is they got the questions wrong.

I don't know why it's assumed that everyone who'd want to post here knows who Pixel is or what a voxel is (neither is obvious from quick googling either).

Furthermore, some people said they gave answers like "Dausuke Amaya" and "Trixel". They get the answers wrong because they're too familiar with the indie scene!

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 02:09:48 PM »

if they got the questions wrong, wouldn't it say that, rather than simply say an error has occurred? i'll have to log off and check later

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »

people consistently report that it doesn't say

feminazi
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 02:35:50 PM »

it'll say an "error has occured" when you give wrong answers. it'll tell you if your name uses blocked words (such as my name), it'll tell you if your ip is the problem (by immediately banning you)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 03:18:19 AM »

there are also reports of people who answered all the questions correctly, but then never receive the activation email (even though it says it sent one, it doesn't show up, not even in the spam folder). i have one such case in irc right now like that

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 03:29:46 AM »

update: his account name is "cyangmou" so if anyone wants to activate it he'd be grateful. he tried creating 5 accounts, each with a different email provider, and the email activation thing was never sent to any of them.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 04:31:23 AM »

what email providers were those? some providers are banned, for instance most throwaway emails b/c theyre often used for spam, sockpuppets etc.

maybe the username is the problem? iirc there was a dude called cyan who was banned a long while back over some beef with zaratustra i think.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 04:34:43 AM »

i dunno which emails he used, but you can check his accounts i guess -- that one and tommy1991 are two of his

and each one had a different username i think

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »

Would it hurt if you used questions like "What color is George Washington's white horse?" but maybe with indie themes? I'm not really sure if you need to make the questions difficult at all to make them effective at beating robots.

Or maybe you could write the questions in such a way that googling the question brings up the answer as the first result.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 01:54:27 PM »

Manual spammers are supposedly pretty common these days, and I guess esoteric tech/indie game trivia helps ward off a good deal of those, not to mention all the hit and run mobile game promoters. But as it is I think the questions simply set too weird expectations, and are too ambiguous and hard to find.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:37:31 AM by Schoq » Logged

eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 07:10:44 AM »

I didn't know the first thing about indie "scene" and I still registered, received the activation email and am here, alongside thousands of users.

Considering there's a small amount of people having a hard time registering, but a massive community  is present, is it really the site's fault?

Yeah.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 07:39:24 AM »

Indeed, back when I registered here I also knew shit about indie scene and somehow managed to do so

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »

i don't think you two understand. the problem isn't the questions, and the problem is only in the last few months. you two registered a long time ago, before the problem existed. for many years, nobody had problems. but in the last few months, almost daily there are people having problems. like the guy who answered the questions correctly 5 times and never got the activation emails; he has 5 unactivated accounts because he can't get the emails. if the problem is imaginary, why is there suddenly such a change in the irc channel with hundreds of people having problems only in the last few months?

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »

My fault for bringing up the actual questions as a related problem (which is too common in itself. It's why we've jokingly had "The Pixel/Voxel IRC" in the topic for a while now).

I'm not sure when the current questions were put in use, but I believe it was before both eyeliner and anty registered.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 10:46:05 AM »

It's not hundreds of people, Paul. It's maybe a dozen or two.

It's worth looking at, though.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »

i've personally seen at least a hundred people ask about this. and for every one that asks there are probably several more who didn't go through the trouble of joining irc just to ask.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 12:37:36 PM »

i've personally seen at least a hundred people ask about this. and for every one that asks there are probably several more who didn't go through the trouble of joining irc just to ask.
do we want those ppl here? with their iPhone releases?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 01:02:59 PM »

says the guy who made a match-3

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic