Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 05:48:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs2D racing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: 2D racing  (Read 1268 times)
fserb
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:43:04 AM »

I've been working for a couple weeks on a top view 2D fast racing game. Mostly inspired by MicroMachines 2.

It supports tmx maps, which makes it fairly easy to create new tracks.
The AI doesn't use waypoints, so it's track independent, no-cheating and super challenging.
It currently has lap/track logic done and support for 4 local players split screen (can't be seen on the shots). 

Still very much WIP, i.e. my todo list is huge, but I've decided to share some shots:

Rescaled to 50%, without the GIF dithering (game currently runs 30fps 1280x720):

It's done in Haxe, openFL, HaxePunk. I currently plan to release it (and have been testing) on PC, Mac, Linux and Ouya.

It's not a novel concept, but I have decided to give it a shot into making a racing game without falling into the usual design decisions.
My goal is to focus on the racing mechanics (repeating the same track, finding ways to minimize lap time, etc).
I'm trying to avoid things like catch up logic, events that are random on the lap (like powerups), and the "OMG drifting is so cool we need to do it all the time".

Ideas, suggestions and comments?  Blink
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »

Looks good!
devi ever
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 12:24:23 PM »

Looks cool.  Game feel is so important in these kinds of projects but based on the animated GIF looks like it handles really nicely.

Definitely plenty of room for more games like this.
ScaryPotato
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 02:33:39 PM »

Looks like a game I played on the NES way back called Super Sprint (I absolutely loved that game), and like you mentioned, Micro Machines.
Without having powerups in the tracks, I'm assuming there will be some sort of way to tune up the car between races? So far, it looks like a lot of fun!  Grin

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 02:54:41 AM »

Lookin' good!   I loved MM games as a kid!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic