Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:30:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCRAWL: arcade dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: CRAWL: arcade dungeon crawler where your friends control the monsters  (Read 208650 times)
Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 09:40:42 AM »

Keep up the great work!
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »

That fire animation is super slick.

SUPER HARSH CRAZY CRITICISM THAT YOU SHOULD IGNORE BUT IT SLIGHTLY BUGGED ME:
Fire anim is really cool but the final particles should be less circular in my opinion. But obviously that's such a tiny thing you shouldn't worry about it unless you notice it and it bugs you.

Looks good so far! Will be watching.
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2013, 11:25:58 AM »

Looks awesome. The monsters look kinda gruesome which is great and different from most pixel-art games we have nowadays.

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2013, 05:46:08 PM »

wow I'm really stoked you guys are enjoying the animations Smiley  it's been fun doing weapon combos at that resolution!  

there's definitely challenges with the low res, but I love how quick it is to draw an arm or a leg in a new pose- it means I spend 95% of my time designing the poses/animation and only 5% struggling with the actual drawing- trying to draw a foreshortened leg or whatever.

hey Tuba thanks for the comment!  I've definitely been trying to go in that direction- trying to avoid a cartoony look and stay away from the colorful high fantasy of wow and stuff like that... where possible I'm trying to go for Lovecraft rather than Tolkien.

Actually a lot of the monsters and effects posted so far (and in the gameplay video) went into the game without any thought to overall color/composition, as i was just focused on getting the mechanics working at the time... so I've been going through and palletizing things to get rid of the garish bright/clashing colors I let in there... trying to retain a more gothic vibe

for example:

louisdeb- hey thanks for the critique, I do see what you mean... I think this relates to what I was just saying about trying to avoid a cartoony look- it does get looking a bit too cartoony going into such round blobs like that...

ideally it would go more wispy after the "thick smoke" stage, but I'm not sure I can pull that off at the resolution... I might revisit though and try to get it dispersing in a less cartoony fashion thanks Smiley

still planning on reworking this guy:

to get rid of the big cartoony eyes and make him more lovecraftian...

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2013, 06:24:16 PM »

and here is a little pixel dump-

akoluthic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2013, 06:33:01 PM »

Mother of god..... Kiss

Twitter | Soundtrack and trailer composer - worked on:CRAWL, Soviet Jump Game (Game Grumps), PULSAR: Lost Colony, and others. Currently solo developing Chrysalis
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2013, 07:03:05 PM »

This is ridiculously good and you are ridiculously good. also thanks for the blog post on animation, it was very enlightening!

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2013, 07:18:44 PM »

I love the animations.
So expressive.
Very interesting thing going on with the 4 player mode.

barneycumming
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 08:22:50 AM »

thanks so much guys, really stoked to get encouraging feedback for these pixel monsters and anims!

i did a blog post showing the working process i found useful for more complex anims

http://www.powerhoof.com/walk-anim/

here are the gifs:

i explain the process a little in the blog post, but you probably get most of it just from the gifs Smiley
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:34:29 AM by barneycumming » Logged

Purcy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2013, 06:21:18 AM »

Awesome! Still waiting for a video of you making your art Wink
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 07:18:18 AM »

Thanks for the post about your process. I love to see stuff with animation and you have really made me want to start using larger sprites.

Dayvi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2013, 08:37:19 AM »

Very interesting to see the process!

ITS_Mike
Level 3

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2013, 08:38:50 AM »

You really managed to give it that old-school arcade game feel Smiley  That's something I've become quite interested in recently, due to my current project.  Do you have any tips on how you did it?

DanielSnd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2013, 09:35:03 AM »

I love both the art and the idea ^^ it's going to be awesome to play it with some friends.

pwei
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »

game looks awesome; am looking forward to this!
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2013, 01:20:30 PM »

Christ almighty.
You did a really good job at capturing so much character in the limited amount of pixels you have.
And, because I don't think anyone else has mentioned it yet, your animations are great.
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »

Amazing work!!  Kiss
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2013, 05:21:13 PM »

Animation can add so much to the game - it really is the make or break point for many indie titles when it comes to polished gameplay that immerses the player. Spectacular.

I need to work more on my animations... Smiley

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2013, 06:08:26 PM »

Can't believe no ones thought of this idea, it's awesome!
Brilliant animations too!

Sc00bz
Level 0

I dream pixels

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2013, 07:55:26 AM »

This looks amazing Your animation skills are top notch. Looking forward to seeing more of it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic