Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 03:03:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesLife Style Sub Forums
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Life Style Sub Forums  (Read 4594 times)
Barch
« on: August 05, 2013, 02:37:08 PM »

I wish thinking about the popularity and well written responses of the: How to break laziness thread that it would be good to develop a sub forum that encourages and discusses good health - routines work ethics mental health in indie developers. Discussions could range from how to avoid common problems like computer posture. How to eat for mental clarity, exercises that make you feel motivated. Setting up a sleep routine (you suffer from this derek Tongue) how to actually take breaks etc.

When a thread comes up that encourages these things (which happens quite often) it quickly gets buried when it is posted in sub forums like general - examples are things like the standing computers thread. So having a place where they can be stickied would be good place to keep them so they dont get lost in a sea of grahams papers.

Some people here have problems with motivation - but I find motivation and health are in the same place. By creating a forum about indie health and fitness you are creating a forum that encourages indies to find it easier to become motivated about overall life in general.

so idk give it a trial and see what comes out of it

EDIT: sorry I thought this was forum suggestions not issues. but my idea still stands up I still think this would be a good idea for the improvement of all tiggers
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:51:21 PM by Barch » Logged
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 07:49:19 PM »

No, this is the place to suggest something like that! A lifestyle subforum is an interesting idea, although I don't know if it'd be popular enough.
Blambo
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »

I feel like that kind of stuff is pretty at home in the General section, which actually has quite a bit of creative discussion going on anyway. Sometimes.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 02:49:49 AM »

i think it could work if it was combined with something else, e.g. something like:

work habits & motivation

(it could be a subsection under business or something)

but i think the need for a 'serious discussions' forum is greater than this tho

Kekskiller
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 04:02:01 AM »

I too think General is already a place for this. Paul's idea could work well, too, but as a single forum limited to just Life Style discussion it wouldn't really be a good addition to the general topic set of this forum.
Dr. Cooldude
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 10:32:07 AM »

I agree on Kekskiller. I don't think a forum limited to lifestyle would be active enough to be it's own subforum. I also agree that Paul's idea could work well, and I strongly agree on a Serious Discussion forum as Paul suggests.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 11:15:42 AM »

but i think the need for a 'serious discussions' forum is greater than this tho

Paul, you should start a thread here outlining how you would want this to work (I know you told me already, but it'd be good to get everyone's opinion about it and I don't want to misrepresent your ideas).
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 01:02:26 AM »

Yo. Could this "serious business" forum thing happen? It seems odd to have threads like this: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=35451.0 where people debate history and philosophy, in something so basic as general. Maybe serious business could be a subforum?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 07:24:50 AM »

Okay, well the original idea was to make it a level 1 forum, hidden from new members. Basically to avoid this:

But also to keep General/Games more light-hearted and let people speak a bit more freely.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »

training prayers and vitamins
Blambo
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 06:43:31 PM »

Okay, well the original idea was to make it a level 1 forum, hidden from new members. Basically to avoid this:

But also to keep General/Games more light-hearted and let people speak a bit more freely.

Yeah this is a good idea. At least with a section titled serious business the mindset going in would be appropriate.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic