Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:20:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeFishingGirl: Game prototyping challenge up on Lostgarden
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: FishingGirl: Game prototyping challenge up on Lostgarden  (Read 3720 times)
Danc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2008, 11:06:56 AM »

Just added another challenge up on Lostgarden.  It is a fishing game this time since my wife loves fishing. 

I think of it as one button Frogger in polar coordinates with a frog that always drifts to the left.  As with my other challenges, I provide the graphics and a stab at the design and then we see what craziness occurs when people actually get into the muck of prototyping.

I'm trying something different and providing all the graphics in Flash friendly formats. There are bitmaps as well if that is your peculiar vice.

http://lostgarden.com/2008/11/fishing-girl-game-prototyping-challenge.html

take care
Danc.  Gentleman

Spry Fox, Lostgarden
Adamski
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 11:19:07 AM »

Wow, that's really awesome  Kiss
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 12:16:31 PM »

ok.. that art is adorable. Nice style. I kinda want a bit more blue/purple in the grey-ish colours though.

Danc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »

The prototypes for Fishing Girl are up!  I was able to give out a gold award this time and someone even made a chunk of money. I am amazed and delighted. Gentleman

http://lostgarden.com/2008/12/fishing-girl-prototype-results.html

take care
Danc.

Spry Fox, Lostgarden
The Ivy
Level 1

Offices in Miragia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:23:01 PM »

Hey, I played this for a while and I really enjoyed it! I ran out of money in the first game, but I tried again and managed to rescue the little dude. I may go back and try for the other ending at some point too.

It occurred to me part way through that this is basically a one-button game, with the exception of the purchase menus. I wasn't a fan of the way they pulled you out of the action of the game. I know this is a prototype, but it's a very cool one and I think it has a lot of promise (I dig the art, as well).

I'm not sure if you're planning on developing this further, but I think it would be cool if you could find a way to streamline the purchase menus into the game a bit better. Just my two cents. Smiley
hatu
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:57:22 AM »

Just played this on FGL, it's a simple idea but so much fun. I ran out of lures because of the damn turtles.
Danc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:24:48 AM »

Glad you guys are enjoying the game.  It was originally conceived as a one button game, but I wasn't rigorous about it.  Hmm...I suppose:
- You could randomly populate the ocean with pickups (instead of keeping them at the surface)
- Show the item and the cost instead of the current generic icon.
- Only purchase an item if you hit it.  If you do not want to purchase, you need to avoid it.
- If you didn't have enough money, the item is visible, but grayed out.

Having multiple people releasing the game on FGL is an interesting experiment. I released the designs and graphics for free, but I'm always open to people making money.  What happens when two people release the same game?  Does the first one get more money?  Do people see them as sequels, competitors, copies? Open source game design and branding...a brave new world.  Beer!

Danc.

Spry Fox, Lostgarden
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic