Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:32:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioWriting music to video - help
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Writing music to video - help  (Read 2103 times)
binston
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2013, 10:23:29 AM »

Hi there, I'm new to the forums and this will be my first post.
As well as being new to the forums I have no experience in writing music to games/video.
Anyway I use ableton currently for dance music production but I quite fancy expanding my knowledge and think it would be fun to make a demo reel where I have created my own music and fx for a video clip.
My question is what software people use to get the music and visuals to match up timing wise. I know I can play back
Video in ableton but just wanted to gets some ideas on where to start.
Sorry if this has already been posted and cheers
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:13:04 PM »

Generally they just import the video into the DAW they are using(which most DAWs these days will do that thankfully), and then write the music syncing it as necessary.  It doesn't ALWAYS have to be 100% synced though you do want to kind of map out where the music should change prior to working on it.  If your DAW has support for markers you can use those to put tiny little notes for different changes in the video, and probably wouldn't hurt to have other notes written down in a notebook for more detail.  As you develop the music you can playback the track with the video displayed and make a determination of what needs improvement, what to get rid of, etc.  Once you are done you would bounce the audio like always, then using whatever video editing software you have available to you(CS2 Adobe Premier used to be free on adobe's website, might want to check and see if it's still there), you can slap the audio onto the video and then nudge the start time of it just in case there was a slight shift in the start time within your DAW.

binston
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:27:33 AM »

Sounds easy enough cheers. I'm going to experiment with Ableton see what I can do.
Thanks for the advice
pamelapolston
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »

Well I use Sony Vegas to match audio to video.It is best software to make sure that audio hit points line up with video.Tying video to audio can be even easier with it.

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 10:15:48 AM »

What ZackParrish said about importing the video into a DAW. For me, it's as simple as dragging and dropping the video into my Logic Pro project.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
AndrewOverfieldMusic
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 03:30:27 PM »

Hey first time poster here. Noticed this thread and thought I'd help out.

Using your DAW of choice, I normally drag it in (Logic Pro 9 for me) and set the video to the start of your timeline.

Then playing the clip make note of where your cues are going to change and any points of interest you want to accent in the score. Once you've spotted, as mentioned in a previous post, make notes.

Do not spot everything, too many changes in the scene will sound awful to attempt to score. Don't try hit every hit marker. See where it will flow.

Now before you start writing anything go to http://www.fransabsil.nl/htm/eventhit.htm

This is a great tool used by tons of composers wanting to sync a tempo to the picture.

Its as easy as entering your length and time stamps to determine the use of the markers in your picture.

Once you have a tempo start figuring out where your beats/percussion are going to land.

I normally play the video again with a click track in place and record myself humming/tapping along to the picture for extremely rough ideas.

For parts where you go from one tempo to another or even switching the scene on an upbeat change the time signature to one slightly different to coincide with the spot.

The rest is up to your creativity. Hope any if this helps. Looking forward to chatting lots more on here! Smiley anything else just message me bud.
alyxjones
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 04:17:56 AM »

Yeah Logic Pro 9 is my choice!...Although Logic Pro X may be even better???  Well, hello there!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic