Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411479 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58425 Members - Latest Member: solpreston

April 23, 2024, 08:56:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCommonplace BookIn the Suburb of Doom
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: In the Suburb of Doom  (Read 3170 times)
gorgus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2008, 02:17:05 PM »

After just watching the last couple of competitions I've decided to enter this one with a game based on this:

40 Warning that certain ground is sacred or accursed; that a house or city must not be built upon it—or must be abandoned or destroyed if built, under penalty of catastrophe.

It's a game inspired by the zombie survival game Zafehouse  so it's a kind of simulator/resource management game with very little graphics.

The story of this game is that part of a suburb has been built on accursed ground and now all sorts of trouble is about to befall the unfortunate inhabitants of the once pleasant suburb. Your task will be to try and keep things together over a period of time. You do this by hiring all sort of strange helpers to investigate and control the influences that are causing the trouble.

My plan is to use other entries from the commonplace book as inspiration for the strange influences that are attached to each house in the suburb. Currently there is only one influence defined so it gets kind of repetitive but it's been enough to test the game engine. The game is written in Java and it's data driven so all influences and hired helps are defined using XML files. Hopefully this means it wont be too much trouble fleshing it out in the coming weeks.

My worries are that it wont be interactive enough with just managing the hired helps but I think it might be best to get more of the content in before I start looking for more to interact with. If nothing else it might be fun enough to watch the inhabitants of the suburb grow more and more afraid and/or insane until they snap.

Scoring and the time limit are other things that I'm not sure how they will end up.

Finally here are some screenshots:

Reecer6
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 02:36:04 PM »

I want to see that event only Ella saw! could you scroll down?
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 12:58:44 AM »

This is intriguing! I particularly like the idea of having lots of different incidents. You could have different "level sets" that are themed...or you could even have a thing where people could contribute their own incidents that could get incorporated...Grin

gorgus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 01:45:06 AM »

Loading different themed sets are definitely possible and something I have planned for but not implemented. There is even a file pointing to the map image and defining the hotspots for the houses so you could replace that along with all the events.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic