Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:03:13 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMicrogue - out now on iOS
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Microgue - out now on iOS  (Read 27926 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2013, 07:18:09 AM »

more updates! still a few things that need to be done, then working on the post launch schedule for the updates I want to put out. big things now are all the treasure cards, and also I added all the new death comments. Deaths comment currently reflect how you die in a sort of snarky way.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2013, 03:11:15 PM »

Finally put the game up on IndieDB. you can check it out here

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2013, 12:34:26 AM »

Finally put the game up on IndieDB. you can check it out here

I read through all the posts in the original thread - Man, has this game been on a journey! It's these sort of devlogs I love to read. I've grown fond of the game, too. Seeing how you've changed and molded the mechanics and look of the game so much inspires me to create something. Keep up the amazing work, I'm really looking forward to the full build of this game!

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2013, 06:36:41 PM »

yeah its been quite a trip. I am really glad I took a break from it though. It has helped the development tremendously.

EdgarTheGame
Level 0

Invisible things are the only realities.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2013, 06:49:15 PM »

The world definitely needs more modern roguelikes and even more mobile ones. This looks like it could be great.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2013, 05:55:04 AM »

yeah I think Roguelikes work well in a mobile setting because you can do a more streamlined interface and the turn based works really well. the biggest problem is the bite sized gameplay and the player remembering whats going on.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2013, 12:50:47 AM »

yeah I think Roguelikes work well in a mobile setting because you can do a more streamlined interface and the turn based works really well. the biggest problem is the bite sized gameplay and the player remembering whats going on.

Why do you think it did? Did you need to refresh the motivation to work on it, need new ideas?

Edit:
yeah its been quite a trip. I am really glad I took a break from it though. It has helped the development tremendously.

Have you ever played Pixel Dungeon? It was a random game I downloaded for android and it was really fun, I knew bloody nothing about the game and it got me killed a LOT of times, but that's what was fun, I loved learning about new things I could do in the game. I'm not sure, but I think in game, Pixel Dungeon does not offer any guidance, or at least it didn't in the version I played.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2013, 07:59:56 AM »

Yeah the break really helped. It allowed me to really think about what I wanted the game to be. I was really flipflopping between doing an endless game that was score based, or a game that had an ending. After setting it down and coming back I found that the endless just didn't work for the way I was building the game. I was also expanding the game far to much. adding a lot of needless stuff that was getting in the way of the core game.

I have not seen Pixel Dungeon, although I don't go in the world of Android as I don't have any devices. I really like graphical Roguelikes though. the art reminds me a bit of Shiren.

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2013, 01:47:08 AM »

I was also expanding the game far to much. adding a lot of needless stuff that was getting in the way of the core game.

I've done this before and it feels so crappy reverting back, makes me feel like the past weeks or however long you spent on it were a waste. Don't think of it like that though, in a way it's progress and I'm very glad you did so.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2013, 05:11:55 AM »

I actually rebuilt the entire game when I cam back to it. I came back to it and looked at the old code and it was a terrible mess. MicRogue was built before my first commercial game Relic Rush and I learned a tremendous amount. I rebuilt the entire engine along with about half the monsters in a single weekend.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:38 AM »

working on the biggest bug I currently have, but I don't actually know how to solve it. so I am putting it here in hopes that someone might be able to help me through it.

okay so I currently have an array of all the monsters in the game. [Rat,Rat,Skeleton,Eye] might be a monster array from an earlier level. now in my game that is also the turn order. rat 1 goes, rat 2 goes, then skeleton, then eye. the big problem I am currently having is this though. I need to sort the entire array so that it goes in a specific order, but I need to be able to sort the array each turn, because new enemies have a way of popping up. so if a new skeleton is added, that skeleton needs to be added before the current skeleton and the eye. I have a way that sorts them correctly, but only in character order. it messes up the order of any similar characters, for example the rats.

so my big question is how do I slot a monster into the list where it needs to go, without messing up the rest of the list. I don't need actual code. I am more just looking for the logic I can walk through.

Ant
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2013, 06:08:07 AM »

If I'm reading this right, couldn't you just keep track of the number of the slot the new enemy is added, then push all the remaining enemies down one slot?

In your array example, if a skeleton was added then it would be added into the third slot, then all the monsters in slots after that would be moved down.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2013, 06:14:09 AM »

okay, so basically it would be something like this.

1. Figure out where skeleton goes in all the characters.
2. if there are already skeletons find the last skeleton
3. insert after the last skeleton

that makes sense. and I would only need to sort when a new character is spawned and at the start of the level. (I usually just need to talk this stuff through)

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »

new sort system worked. thanks for the help.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2013, 04:30:58 PM »

added in all my level transitions and redid the entire asset library. no more Monster3.png and stuff.

Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2013, 04:46:35 AM »

Hey there. Been a while. (subscribes to this thread).
Love the style btw!
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »

thanks. Currently working on the Tutorial stuff. figuring out exactly how much I need to tell the player.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2013, 10:04:02 AM »

Working on a new enemy. The Dragon. It will probably be pretty tough to beat. It will be unkillable, and also have a pretty good movement range. (It might also just straight up stomp other monsters.) It starts a level asleep though. here is a gameplay GIF with temp aniamtions.

Vaxx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »

Cool idea!
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2013, 03:05:20 PM »

thanks

So another fun thing to check out. I put up an Explanation over on IndieDB, about the enemy Randomization. You can read it here

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic